Scrap Store Prices

Silver_Birch

I really don't know to much about the Scrap Store's 'Business Model' but, with cash being squeezed from all sides, I suspect that they might have to try a little harder to 'moneterise' the tat that fills the place

I would assume that, as a charity(?), they do not pay Rates etc. and are expected to get by on 'hand-outs' from the ever tightening public purse.

The biggest expense is probably staff wages.

One option they could try (that works for the RNLI, Cancer Shop etc.) would be to staff the place with volunteers.  That way, they could truly afford to re-cycle stuff by almost giving it away.. :twisted:

Edited by Colin

Several charities that have shops use paid management. That way, the shop is open when it needs to be. If run by volunteers, the contractual side of what is in effect, a business may not be fulfilled. Volunteers could decide not to volunteer and the shop remains shut, yet may still have to pay the reduced rates (normally 10%) if at all charged.

There seems to be this perception that folk should drop everything to volunteer and be glad to do it. Being a volunteer is hard work, my volunteering enables others to lead a better life or helps to raise funds, some times both. It is limited as volunteering does not pay.

I would think you would find it hard to contract someone into volunteering without some sort of lever.

I'm sure The purpose of the scrap store amongst other things is to provide paid employment for those with disabilities. This will also require employing others to guide and assist. Like all charities Cope's fundings have been cut and they need to ensure they break even at the end of the day.

I'm sure their prices must still be a lot cheaper than buying new, plus you are supporting a very good cause.

Your solvency could dictate VFM. After all, it is what luxuries are about really. If I could afford to own and run a car, I would, however at the present, it would not represent VFM as I would have to go without something else, so, I ride a pushbike. The pushbike represents VFM as I keep fit, do not pollute my environment, save time (takes longer to drive to and from work than it does to ride), I get to say hello to more folk, helped me to stop smoking, my smiles are returned, it uses one tin of 3 in 1 every 2 years, I have more money to spend on other things and I feel far better for it. If it did not, I would then consider walking to work.

What I found with Cope was they were very helpful when we were clearing out our Dads house when he went into care. The levels of understanding were there for the situation we were in. Although I would have liked to give everything to them, we had to send some items to the auction house, which, personally was regrettable, the levels of understanding were replaced by money and profit (the auction house VFM policy)

Edited by shetlandpeat

VFM = Product "a" @ £5,00. Use once, breaks, definitely not VFM. Comparable product "b" @ £50.00. Used daily for twenty years, definitely VFM..

How much was that infamous push bike of your's anyway?

If you need to use the product every day, buying one of 'a' @ £5.00 per day, equals insanity, saving your £5.00 every day for ten days while you suffer without so that you can buy 'b;' @ £ 50.00 whiich will last you for twenty years, equals sanity.

Of course, don't tell supermarket customer's this, or their hardware and clothing sales will grind to a halt overnight.

the levels of understanding were replaced by money and profit (the auction house VFM policy)

Some might read that and conclude that the 'tat' (for want of a better word) was handed to Cope whilst the 'Good Stuff' was sold at auction.

If this was indeed the case then, people might have a right(?) to question Cope's pricing policy.

the levels of understanding were replaced by money and profit (the auction house VFM policy)

Some might read that and conclude that the 'tat' (for want of a better word) was handed to Cope whilst the 'Good Stuff' was sold at auction.

If this was indeed the case then, people might have a right(?) to question Cope's pricing policy.

If you have ever dealt with Cope, they too are selective. So, they too took what they thought was of worth to them. Though, they did get additional items of high value that would benefit the organisation. Much did go into the skip or the metal recyclers. If you looked at the price some items raised at the auction house, I would have thought that Cope would have realised more if they had sold it, as well as benefiting someone who was in greater need perhaps. However, they were grateful for the donations.  We were happy to help.

moan,moan,moan boring just because you have to pay a few pounds extra,its all for a good cause if you dont like the prices dont go in there,i dont like oranges so i dont buy them,i dont go round moaning about the price of them

why im on the subject of oranges,if oranges are called oranges because they are orange,why arnt bananas called "yellows" ?

Perhaps you are lucky enough to be able to spend money like water and have no restraint on your spending.

Some people live on a fixed income with very little, if any savings and  'a few pounds extra'  makes a big dent in their budget. The very name scrapstore implies affordable prices.

Siccar - not everyone raising a family expects a "free ride", buying second hand is a very good way to recycle items that get very little wear.

I thought your remark   "Contraception is available and even the simple minded can work it oot?"  was extremely distasteful.