Scrap Store Prices

Silver_Birch

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose wages and overheads have to be met from somewhere.

Is a custom conversion van with a driver and two guys knocking around the countryside, the cheapest viable way of collecting second hand furniture to patch up and sell on?

I find it difficult to believe that it is.

I suppose wages and overheads have to be met from somewhere.

Is a custom conversion van with a driver and two guys knocking around the countryside, the cheapest viable way of collecting second hand furniture to patch up and sell on?

I find it difficult to believe that it is.

They have put their delivery costs up, should you now want something delivered it will cost you £15.00.

I went in to enquire about getting a radio repaired and was amazed to find they had closed 'Last Ditchology'!!

That will be how they are paying for the van

I think some folk are maybe not aware of what COPE is - how & why they exist?

Community Opportunity for Participation in Enterprise

-was set up initially by Frank Millsop who worked at the Eric Gray Centre, back in 1998-99.

He started out with some of the clients, setting up a small tree nursery, and after the clients had attended catering courses at Shetland College, he set up a sandwich delivery service to SIC offices.

He managed to obtain enough support, grants and funding to take on 2 members of staff, and build the original COPE building opposite the power station.

Frank was a very enterprising and enthusiastic individual!

COPE's objectives:

taken from - http://www.shetlandcharitabletrust.co.uk/who-we-fund

"Promotes opportunities for enterprise, work and life skills training and community service for people with learning difficulties in Shetland."

and

Taken from  http://www.learnshetland.com/cope-ltd

"Services:   Offers advice and support to allow individuals to work in a valuable, productive business.

Eligibility:  Adults with disabilities that would like training, support and employment opportunities.

Referrals from Social Care, Education, Careers, the Voluntary Sector and directly from the community. "

The 3 guys in a van are an employed driver, and 2 participants.

Last Ditchology, the electrical repair business, closed a few years ago. 

The Scrapstore is a recycling facility providing employment, support and training for participants.

Sorry if I sounded a bit snippit there, but COPE is primarily for the benefit of the participants.

They do go out of their way to help the general public, if they can, but the participants always come first :)

Edited by mogling

Sorry if I sounded a bit snippit there, but COPE is primarily for the benefit of the participants.

They do go out of their way to help the general public, if they can, but the participants always come first  :)

Which is kinda the point that gave rise to me posting. An equivalent model of the custom conversion van they're using is currently listed on the van makers website with an RRP between £30k and £40k dependiing on exact specs, whereas the comparable standard production model van on which it is based has a starting RRP of just over £16k on the same site.

Given that its transporting household goods and office hardware in the main, which its difficult to to see can't be done equally well in a standard production model van, I'm struggling to identify the benefit of the double priced van to anyone unless the to van's maker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not "anti COPE", they've helped a lot of people in many different ways, and long may that continue. However, especially in light of the criticisms which have been levelled at the organisation in the past and to a lesser degree in the present, and the recent massive re-organisation it has gone through, I am querying if management, or certain portions of it, in the recent past, and possibly still to a lesser degree in the present, aren't more about building their "own little empire" and less about the benefit to participants.

Well, I see that the bulk of the grant has gone into tarting up the garden centre.

Its a pity that the Plantiecrub and other small independent nurseries here in Shetland dont have access to such huge sums to improve their premises.

The Enterprise Ready Fund award of £112,312 will enable COPE Ltd to provide an estimated 10 to 15 additional placements, while also providing opportunities for participants to move on to secure employment within other local businesses within the islands.

In addition, it will allow the business to make a number of improvements to its social enterprise premises, and allow for the recruitment of a temporary member of staff to formalise its skills and development opportunities and help it to achieve the PQCASSO award level three, a nationally recognised quality mark.

Ingrid Webb, COPE Ltd General Manager, said: “We are delighted that we have been awarded funding through the Enterprise Ready Fund, as it will assist us to fill long term plans in working towards sustainability and developing organisational excellence throughout our social enterprise.

“Funding will allow us to introduce improvements to the physical structures of our business units, whilst implementing quality frameworks for staff and participants. Most importantly the funding will allow COPE Ltd to provide formal recognition of its participant’s employment skill development and therefore assist individuals’ longer term employability prospects and within the local community.

“Being able to move ahead confidently with these improvements is key to underpinning COPE Ltd’s future and longer term sustainability. We are delighted to have been successful in attracting this funding to our company.â€

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Over-2-million-for-third-sector-c6e.aspx

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Definitely need to check the merchandise. When we with the husband almost divorced when choosing things for our future child as our opinions differed on virtually all counts. For example how to choose a blanket. Because we wanted the best for our baby https://top-mom.com/best-baby-blankets/. And you imagine fighting over a blanket. But the most important thing when we found a site where there is no need to worry about that would check the goods. It was a relief