School Closures

Todd

^ Spot on. I can support this.

This is far better than the aggression coupled with a lack of facts we have seen on here at the odd time.

Folk now need to work on the numbers (I am sure some have already). Health and Wellbeing is a critical factor the Council (SIC) will need to assess. As there are more reports from the EU about child health and development, it may be worth looking into it.

Crowd campaigns may be the way, many folk will have different experiences and this can be pooled.

Brilliant post!

Edited by shetlandpeat

re numbers.  At the meeting in Yell last week Gary Robertson admitted that the SIC had not filled in the information correctly for the finance returns - that is why the cost per pupil appears to be so high in Shetland.  

re facts.  Helen Budge said that Education Scotland considered s1-s4 no longer viable, but in fact Education Scotland say that cfe is non-prescriptive and can be adapted to local circumstances.

I personally wrote an email to Tavish Scott about the issue but have yet to receive a reply. There should be some accountability here, elected officials should not simply be able to have a mock consultation, ignore its findings and do what they wanted from the beginning anyway to the detriment of the very people they are supposed to represent!

True, but in my expereince its the unelected officials who are the real issue, being as they're the ones who dream up and keep on pushing much of the worst of it.

Certainly the elected lot should be keeping down on them, but they're yet to grow the teeth to do that.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RP83PkAJkLI

I hope all Councillors could see this.

Such a disgraceful bunch of Councillors un officials high in the council to put communities through this. Surprise surprise the ones it likely dusna affect the ones who are proposing it. 

Just keep centralizing everything then we will be called Lerwick not Shetland Isles.

Ah, Austerity. Guess we're all still Better Together...

Maybe.  But before the Uyeasound School was closed, the parents & community managed to get the SIC decision called in by the Scottish Government.  Despite his fine words about strengthening rural communities and keeping schools open, Mike Russell (SNP Minister) allowed the SIC to close it, so I am not sure that independence would make too much difference? 

Ah, Austerity. Guess we're all still Better Together...

Maybe.  But before the Uyeasound School was closed, the parents & community managed to get the SIC decision called in by the Scottish Government.  Despite his fine words about strengthening rural communities and keeping schools open, Mike Russell (SNP Minister) allowed the SIC to close it, so I am not sure that independence would make too much difference? 

Likely the case, but when your budget is dictated by folk in Westminster who'd sooner see funds going to Nuclear Submarines and tax cuts for the wealthy than rural schools, it makes all the difference.

Still, it's maybe not helpful for the likes of me to bemoan what might have been. The fact remains that we live in a country currently in the thrall of a right-wing government that will likely be in power for a long, long time. The more vocal grass-roots communities can be about the callous 'austerity measures' being forced upon them by an entitled and emotionally detached slew of Etonian millionaires, the better. 

Edited by Horns 'O' Da Geo