School Closures

Todd

It is the closure of the salmon farm which has been the important thing. Perhaps a proper investigation of why this failed might throw some real light on the situation in Skerries, rather than obsessing with the school. Forcing secondary bairns to stay on the island for their education will not save the community.

No argument there re the salmon farm. The secondary school is already closed Staney Dale. The school in question is the primary school. In my opinion the closing of which would amount to the SIC abandoning the community. In areas where depopulation is an issue closing primary schools will only accelerate the problem. 

Skerries people may disagree but I believe closing the secondary school MAY have been the right decision but closing the primary school certainly would not be. 

The rolls of some rural schools are half to a third of what they were 30 odd years ago which to me questions the claim that they are essential to help retain/attract young families. How far can the Council be expected to provide a very expensive model of education provision when some areas are losing folk anyway? I don't think Skerries or any of the remote isles should lose their primary schools by the way (nor does the Council as far as I know) but I do think there's scope for closures elsewhere.

• 5 months later...

Just like to remind the SIC that you have wasted alot of money, time, and family life with closing and attemting to close viable schools.

Reminding SIC that you saved nothing in closing Skerries Secondary School

Shame on you Dr Wills for the incorrect info  you told. I will never trust a word you ever say.

The financial situation is massively complex.  Despite years of looking at various facts and figures to do with school costs I am none the wiser really, probably because they are compiled by the SIC and they can make things look any way they want.  The nearest we got was with the school comparison report - comparing the 3 island authorities.  Even then Hayfield house had the audacity to try and say Shetland was massively expensive in the covering letter/report but when you started pulling apart the figures and comparing like for like, it became apparent that Shetland's secondary costs are no more expensive than Orkney or the Western Isles.

Any Councillor who wants to get to the bottom of the financial situation would have their work cut out for them but that is what needs to happen to get to the truth.  From what I've seen Shetland's primary and secondary education is no more expensive than the other island groups.  At one time Shetland had a massively inflated Quality Improvement budget (Hayfield house officers) but I'm not sure if that is still the case because some Quality Improvement officers have gone.  The other cost which in the past has been huge is the Additional Supports Needs budget but no one wants to go there, at least to any great extent.

“incompetent, useless and less than honest

It said: "...it was clear that there was no willingness to support any school closure proposals at that time, and officer time was being wasted on carrying out pointless work......could not agree more with the latest article....

Without naming names with the cooperation of pupils, parents, members of staff, volunteers,and the headteacher Skerries Secondary School was run with one teacher doing both Primary and Secondary, Hayfield House was aware of this new workable arrangement, but they carried on the story of this magical saving of £73000,  

Secondary Headteacher left and was replaced by Primary Headteacher......Nothing like the £73000 saved, 

This is not difficult maths, 

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?