Yet more centralisation

Claadehol

So it seems Mr Salmond is at it again, decisions on how and where European funding is spent may be made in Edinburgh. This takes more decision making away from the Highlands and Islands.

Tavish Scott has tried to get a straight answer from the illustrious SNP leader on whether or not this is the case. All he will say is: "It is under discussion"

In an independent Scotland these islands are going to have even less of a say in their own affairs than they have at the moment. Alec wants all powers in Edinburgh, he has been at it already, and things could get a whole lot worse.

I was at the Our Islands Our Future conference the other week. One of the points made by the politicians was that almost every other island group in the EU has a degree of autonomy from central government. The centralising policy of the SNP government makes me think we should go down the same route to stop this affecting Shetland.

I was also at the Our Islands Our Future public meeting.  Yes, it was a poor turnout and I initially thought that it was going to be a flop but it was actually extremely interesting with a deep level of discussion. 

It's very saddening to see the sneering and criticism that's being levelled at the councillors and campaign itself because if these people would actually bother listening to it more carefully they'd find that it has been thought through very well.   

My point is, whether my fellow Shetlanders like it or not they're going to have to start taking an interest in what's happening because the direction of things is not good and the omens of life in an Independant Scotland are even worse.......

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Its probably been mentioned before but centralisation is going on in Shetland all the time just now tae my mind especially with school closures etc. I was at the Wednesday night meeting about  school closures in Northmavine  where apparently up as 200 fok turned oot. all very passionate tae keep education in our local areas. If  schools like North Roe primary wis tae close the eventual effect is that North Roe would  probably cease to be a community. Our Islands our Future cant really work unless there is a island to fight for and if rural communities dwindle there is no island left, ruined by exactly what we are fighting for.!

Similar things are happening here where I am, local councils are given the chance to be in a position to do their own work with funds from building yet at a district level, they have signed their section up for infrastructure and need the local money to deliver other promises, they are now looking at extracting the community funds to do this.

Regardless of other thoughts on here, I have always thought of the islands around Great Britain to have a bond. This has been demonstrated in the past. As there is a possibility that Scotland could vote yes (regardless of party politics) it would be right that the outer regions should work together to protect their interests and retain their control on their own assets and communities.

It seems to be a similar struggle for many communities all over the country.

I totaly agree with the points Kavi made (and well made too). The appethy could do more damage. It is fine to gesticulate on these such forum, more however needs to be done.

The councillors I know of at S.I.C. are good folk, they do want to see Shetland remain Shetland, however, they need the support on this matter to mandate the thoughts of the folk, and not have to rely on assumptions, which they will be subject to scorn (and some quite vile) later.

i would think the school closures would have an effect on house values aswell.

We are looking for a croft to move to but the thought of my 4 kids boarding away from home at age 12 defeats the object of moving to shetland for a better life. theres no point being self-sufficient with food on a croft if the kids arent home to eat it, no point having a pony in their barn and a beach at the end of their garden if they are living at school 2 hrs away. we cant afford the lerwick prices for a place with land so its the outer areas or nothing for us. but at the end of the day family is the most important thing idea of school closures is a major hurdle, leaving me thinking Shetland may just have to wait for me until the kids have flown the nest, and then you are looking at an aged population moving to the outer areas instead of young families.

how did shetland get affected by the recession? is this still an effect of the recession or different politics altogether?

EU Farming support due to Scotland with held by Liberal Democrats coalition UK Government with Conservative party that deprived Scottish Farmers of funding aimed at them was diverted. Politicians like our MSP and MP should credit us with longer memories.

http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/hot-topics/cap-reform/scots-slam-indefensible-decision-to-limit-cap-cash/60128.article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24874125

Centralising is happening every where including here on Shetland with the current council being subject to claims that they have Lerwick Central policies. Education being amongst these. There is no point SIC complaining about the actions of either Westminster or Holyrood whilst not practising what they preach and keeping services local in rural areas.

Good luck for those campaigning for some common sense with local schools and ensuring the survival of essential local services.

The accusation of centralisation at the current Government in Holyrood is interesting given one Police Force and one Fire brigade service was in their manifesto in 2011 upon which they were elected.

The loss of direct management of these service or the creation of central telephone call centres when dialling 999 happened some time ago and that was the real point of centralisation as were on the mainland a control sits has no affect on their ability to have or gain local knowledge of Shetland.

i would think the school closures would have an effect on house values aswell.

We are looking for a croft to move to but the thought of my 4 kids boarding away from home at age 12 defeats the object of moving to shetland for a better life. theres no point being self-sufficient with food on a croft if the kids arent home to eat it, no point having a pony in their barn and a beach at the end of their garden if they are living at school 2 hrs away. we cant afford the lerwick prices for a place with land so its the outer areas or nothing for us. but at the end of the day family is the most important thing idea of school closures is a major hurdle, leaving me thinking Shetland may just have to wait for me until the kids have flown the nest, and then you are looking at an aged population moving to the outer areas instead of young families.

how did shetland get affected by the recession? is this still an effect of the recession or different politics altogether?

Shetland hasn't had a recession in 50 years. The school closures are due to the spendtthrift policies of earlier councils. They refused to see that the revenues the SIC gets from the oil industry, which help pay for the high level of services, were dwindling as use of Sullom Voe reduced.

In an attempt to balance the books the present council have cut back many services.

todd you were looking at northmavine Brae high school is not under threat. your children will still be taught close to home. just the junior years not quite as close as we would like it to remain. there is no risk of them shutting brae as 1 the AHS will be full of the children from all the JHS and if anything the population in the north should be going up so there should be more demand. if you desire a peaceful life Shetland could be that for you however its understandable that folks will not live where the children are forced away.

Edited by paulb

As budgets decrease central government will want to control more and more of the finance so it can be spend where the most votes can be won. It doesnt matter whether its London or Edinburgh the result will be the same. As far as Shetland is concerned the cuts are cost driven probably less centrallised I'm not saying that the cuts are correct as I have difficulty in understanding the structure of SIC they seem to use a similar structure to much bigger councils with a much smaller population. I mean a director of dental services for an area that I believe has far to few dentists. I know thats NHS Shetland but all the same is it another example of  value for money