glasshouse plans

Claadehol

It's a pity after all the work that has already gone into this project, that the plans have now been dropped. Apparently the owner wants over twice the valuation price for the buildings.

How nice to see a local businessman being so considerate towards local community projects. I hope there is a local reaction to this, time to buy more goods online I think. 

Seems he wants twice the asking price and is currently using it as a store. Shame it was was sold in the first place really. As an incomer, you'd have thought he'd be keen to endear himself to the local community, but maybe he has his reasons.  Guess it all comes down to £££ in the end. 

We are incensed by what has happened. We urge everyone to follow our lead.

This is what my wife & I have emailed to Ghufar Razaq, the owner of the Tingwall glasshouse buildings:

Dear Mr Razaq,

As reported on Shetlink today, my wife and I are extremely upset to learn that as owner of the Tingwall glasshouse building you are seeking more than twice as much as Shetland’s only commercial valuer has said the building is worth - and because of this the community growing venture has been forced to drop the redevelopment.

In light of your apparent 'greediness' that has stopped this venture in its tracks, my wife and I will make a point, along with our friends and neighbours, of avoiding your business in the future.

Paul & Diane Meyer
(IsleSat)

does he have planning for change of use and his he paying the correct rates a big building like that would cost a lot in rates. how is his public liability insurance.

what his asking for them. if he is being overly greedy then shetland folk have the right to shop anywhere they want

Are people being too hasty.  What if the valuation was wrong?.  This has been known to happen and I for one would certainly like to hear Ghufar giving his views before advocating a boycott of his business.  Certainly I seem to remember him saying he was in favour of the glasshouse plan some time ago.   Perhaps the place is worth less as a community greenhouse than a store.  Perhaps he simply wants to get back what it has cost him. 

Probably would be best for community allotments like they have in Sandwick to be offered around Shetland where demand exists instead of a super greenhouse that will require a lengthy commute.

The ridiculous costs for this project were beyond a joke.

Also wonder how many people with glasshouses and polytunnels fork out over £20k on expert consultants to see if their growing structure is viable? 

I did hear of a person who just planted seeds inside without any consultancy taking place, surely this must be wrong!

Good to see a little sanity entering this discussion at last.

Seems a pity that the concepts and benefits of 'private ownership' appear to have been overlooked in previous posts.  Is this because it was a 'community' project?

Ghufar OWNS the property under discussion and, if he wants to sell it, he is fully entitled to set the price. 

He doesn't have to sell it at anybody else's price and, despite protests, is fully entitled to apply his own valuation. 

It doesn't matter one little bit what someone else says it's worth..  If you don't like his personal valuation then, tough, look somewhere else.

Letters to Ghufar from a company (Islesat) accusing him of 'greediness' (?) and threatening to undermine his business smacks of 'spitting the dummy'.

I wonder how many friends/family members/customers/associates of Ghufars will stop spending with them as a gesture of support?

PaulB.  What the hell have your points got to do with the price of bread?  Nothing, apart from a little 'spite' and the implied threat of getting 'officials' involved it would seem.  Not your 'fight' so, lighten up a bit.

It's a great idea but I couldn't believe some of the financial figures in this project, and that doesn't involve the purchase cost!.

I wonder if they would be better starting from scratch and with a whole new development?.  I'm sure in this day and age there would be outside funding from somewhere.

Yon place at Tingwall looks shabby at best!.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Good to see a little sanity entering this discussion at last.

Seems a pity that the concepts and benefits of 'private ownership' appear to have been overlooked in previous posts.  Is this because it was a 'community' project?

Ghufar OWNS the property under discussion and, if he wants to sell it, he is fully entitled to set the price. 

He doesn't have to sell it at anybody else's price and, despite protests, is fully entitled to apply his own valuation. 

It doesn't matter one little bit what someone else says it's worth..  If you don't like his personal valuation then, tough, look somewhere else.

Letters to Ghufar from a company (Islesat) accusing him of 'greediness' (?) and threatening to undermine his business smacks of 'spitting the dummy'.

I wonder how many friends/family members/customers/associates of Ghufars will stop spending with them as a gesture of support?

PaulB.  What the hell have your points got to do with the price of bread?  Nothing, apart from a little 'spite' and the implied threat of getting 'officials' involved it would seem.  Not your 'fight' so, lighten up a bit.

whibble :ponders: