Commercial Street traffic

JustMe

Plenty of time since the partial pedestrianisation of Commercial Street yet it seems to me that every time I am on the street during the "traffic free" times I have to step aside for a vehicle that should not be on the street at that time.

What I would love to know is just how few....if any.....people have faced any sort of penalty since the scheme began?.

they could do with movable bollards (like they have in inverness) they pop up and down out of the street thsi would stop the people altogether.

the bit past clives should not have cars on it comming up from the bank - its a no go - if you need to go in that way you have to go under the fort during the daytime.

i think a new idea is that any cars can go in the street during the morning but apsolutly NO cars in the afternoon, with no exceptions no one should be on the street unless they are walking. people who are colecting goods or need to get to the street due to disability go in the morning.##

this would give clear information that if you want a car free shop then its the morning you go. this would make the stree totaly free for parents with small children and disabled people (who can walk a bit or in wheelchairs) that they will be NO cars to dodge if the go shopping in the afternoon.

There was one day last summer I saw the feds standing outside Solotti's stopping cars and asking why they were going up the street. I think there were alot of people "going to the Bank machine" that day.

Keep me right here. Are there ANY restrictions on driving on the Street between Solottis and da Cross?

I thought it wis only fae da cross and north.

:?: :?: :?:

As I remember from the signs...

Up until 11am, anyone can drive along from Solotti's to the Cross. Then after 11am it becomes "Access Only" which I assume means deliveries and disabled access.

Between 11am and 5.30pm, the Cross to the Fort is actually marked as "Disabled Access Only". Being a former delivery driver around town, this was a real pain when you were trying to deliver to the Tattie Shop, Oslas or Maxx. Most days of the week you could get away with parking in Harrison Square and walking up the lanes, but there were some deliveries where that was impossible due to the size. That being said, the feds and the traffic warden have both walked past me whilst stopped around there and haven't said a word.

Just this afternoon I was chatting opposite the pet food place....the cope one...when a car passed displaying a disabled card. Fair enough as there was a passenger with crutches or something in the car.

What was not fair enough was the agression displayed by the driver rushing up behind pedestrians then revving the engine loudly to get them to move. As I said........not loudly enough to reach the car driver.......driving on the street during the pedestrian only times is a privelage extended to disabled people but they should none the less drive with respect for the pedestrians in what is basically a pedestrian zone.

I would be happy if they said NO ACCESS on Saturday at all. Its just downright dangerous at times. Why people cant park at the Hillhead or surrounding roads and walk down I have no idea.

Those with disabled badges are exempt from this of course!

They do this for the few weeks before Christmas, I don't see why it shouldn't happen every Saturday.

i agree with you both big mouth and just me.

i do think the disabled should be on the street but some think its a right and that we are wrong to be staning where they want to be. i think in the mornings it could be open to deliveries and disables and in the afternoon its a no car zone - no exeptions.

perhaps even untill 3 oclock then 3 - 5 disabled cars only on street

that people who have children and disabled people who can walk from the disables spots can know they will be no cars on the street for them to dodge