Lovely walk out until.... ( dogs)

Factor in how many of the "crimes" were allegedly committed by the same people but on seperate occasions, and the whole picture changes.

...snip

There is no need really, an offence is an offence and thus is counted as a separate incident.

Rather than look at the stats as a warning, there are still attempts to reduce them to suit, the quotes I posted were just from the first page, add to that the reported crimes, it is no wonder that folk see dogs as a problem. there were further crimes reported in respect of dog fouling. Add to that now the recent report in the paper, it does indicate an issue, perceived or not.

The issues I have seen here have been quite devastating.

The following story shows that you always have to be on your guard.

In June 2013, a five-year-old boy was taken to hospital after being mauled by a dog in Co Antrim, Ireland. The attack happened at Carniny Primary School on the outskirts of Ballymena. The boy was taken to hospital in Belfast where his condition was described as serious. It was later confirmed that the dog was being shown to schoolchildren as a last-day-of-term treat.

The issue can also be compounded by local authorities and national planning laws. In certain instances, the council may have little powers to act on any by-laws broken.

Factor in how many of the "crimes" were allegedly committed by the same people but on seperate occasions, and the whole picture changes.

...snip

There is no need really, an offence is an offence and thus is counted as a separate incident.

Absolute bollox Peat, of course they're seperate incidents, I said so, but they're also repeat offences, which puts a wholly different colour on them. If one person is responsible for more than one incident, especially if different dogs are involved on each occasion, it is the person who is the problem, not the dog(s), and your alleged stats make no differential between first offenders or repeat offenders.

Next you'll be trying to claim that it shouldn't matter whether someone charged with any offense has never been convicted of an identical offense before, or they've been convicted of it twenty times, the sentence should be exactly the same. As thats what you're suggesting happens here.

This thread could have been in the news if the world. Scaremongering with bland statistics and only giving half the picture.

Whilst we all agree that there have been a number of incidents involving dogs and are aware how these can effect some individuals, we need to keep things into perspective.

The key here is for 'some' dog owners to take more responsibility for their dog/s and be more aware of those who may not be comfortable in their presence. Owners should realise, that although they may be confident that 'rover' doesn't bite, they also need to be aware that others don't know that and may have had previous bad experiences with other dogs.

I love to see dogs running free, but there is a time and place and owners like myself have a responsibility to ensure their dogs can be controlled or are under control at all times in public areas.

A well respected trainer once told me " there is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners"

Over the last few years there have been 17 reported crimes of dogs against people, 8 crimes reported of dogs against livestock and 4 against dogs/cats on the islands. One can only make a guess at the unreported attacks.

It may not sound many, but these episodes can have a lasting effect.

Don't you just love statistics when they are used to bolster a 'case'.  Trouble is, the one statistic that is missing is the one that would add some perspective.

29 dogs appear to have commited offenses(?).

Just how many dogs are on Shetland?  Hundreds?, Thousands?, more?  Anyone bothered to count them?

Despite the numbers quoted, I would maintain that it is a very small minority of dogs/owners that are the problem.

peat, you have no referenced link to your alleged statistics.  You have failed to state to which years they relate.

Oh, and your comment re "figting" dogs - you're talking bollox but then you're trying to derail this thread and make it personal.  I had a dog attacked by a LABRADOR - fact.  Did I report it?  No.  Was my dog under control and on a lead?  Yes.  Was the labrador?  Clearly not.

You know, if you want people to believe your alleged statistics, then why the secrecy in providing a genuine link to your source - why the problem in doing so?

No one is disputing that some dog owners are irresponsible; you'll find though that responsible dog owners outnumber the irresponsible ones.

Why don't you ask the question yourself. I have these numbers via the Police. You only have to ask. I will not be disclosing my personal info to suit your obsessions. You cannot be trusted. Remember also, I do not have to prove the truth in the numbers, there is no prerequisite to do so. The last few years = 5, a reasonable period. Reference, the POLICE (a letter) Now, read on

You not reporting the alledged attack on your dog was extremely remiss of you. What this does is makes the issue less of an issue. It also allows the owner of the dog you say attacked yours to walk away scott free and ignorant of duties expected of them by the rest of the responsible dog owners.

There are more issues with fighting dogs I have heard of than not, however, if folk are like you, and do not report such incidents then we will never know the full extent.

If you keep your dog, bred for fighting under control and secured at all times, there will not be a problem, I have seen however folk walking dogs who are not strong enough to stop them if they lunge.

I have no issues really with dogs, just their owners. Working dogs are not pets and were not bred for that. Again, most owners show high levels of responsibility, My own dogs were great, they were allowed to run a farm and eradicate pests. That was the only reason I continued to keep them, until I had to downsize.

Thanks Pete for confirming that your statistics were over 5 years. 17 reported incidents against people over 5 years = 3.4 incidents a year. Although this is still 3.4 too many, it kinda puts it into perspective.

Of course statistics don't give details like how many of these were serious attacks or was it a dog just being overly friendly. Nor do they let us know if the same incident involved more than one complainant or the same dog etc etc.

With this lovely day I have been out all day and have met a total of 7 dogs, 3 on leads and 4 off

Out if the 4 off leads, only one approached me, he was a big softy and just rolled over at my feet, the others were more interested in sniffing around or chasing their toys. Everyone was having a nice day in the sunshine. It's not all doom and gloom:-)

Edited by Windwalker