Lovely walk out until.... ( dogs)

Thanks Pete for confirming that your statistics were over 5 years. 17 reported incidents against people over 5 years = 3.4 incidents a year. Although this is still 3.4 too many, it kinda puts it into perspective.

...snip

There were in total 31 incidents reported...

I am not so sure why you missed out crimes against livestock, or dog on "another domestic animal".

The remainder were for "other offences"

All reported crimes.

Thanks Pete for confirming that your statistics were over 5 years. 17 reported incidents against people over 5 years = 3.4 incidents a year. Although this is still 3.4 too many, it kinda puts it into perspective.

...snip

I am not so sure why you missed out crimes against livestock, or dog on "another domestic animal".

All reported crimes.

Because that the bit I'm interested in and it proves I can use statistics to strengthen my point. Strange that isn't it. :-)

And rightly so, especially as of those crimes reported, nearly 55% are on people, there have been some issues with livestock worrying recently, the information I hope will help that and maybe bolster some sort of policy, it has been found useful with at least one other.

To add to your interest, how much did the 31 crimes reported cost the public purse and local business folk.

There is the key though, addressing the issue.

As you know, there are laws that require the owner of the animal to be in control of it in public spaces, from the original post, this was not done. Upon my last visit, I was quite dismayed at the number of deposits left in and around Lerwick. One that comes to mind was right outside the entrance to Gilbertson Park.

There does need to be some work to improve the relationships with dogs/owners and the general public. Even more so when you read reports Kavi highlighted. These reports can compound feelings.

Edited by shetlandpeat

...snip

All reported crimes.

Over the last few years there have been 17 reported crimes of dogs against people, 8 crimes reported of dogs against livestock and 4 against dogs/cats on the islands. One can only make a guess at the unreported attacks.

It may not sound many, but these episodes can have a lasting effect.

Isn't that 29 and not 31?  So that lowers the number over five years, doesn't it?  Either way, in an ideal world, there would be none.

Edit:  Is the two the "other offences"?

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

Initially it may lower the numbers but it does then however indicate that with the 2 not shown, we are heading towards 60% (58.6). Which could be seen as worse.

One of the ways to remedy this is to enforce the by-laws, however, there will never be enough employees to do this. Dogs off leads causes problems that cannot be controlled, though, the best thing a dog needs is the ability to be off a lead, the idea of a secure field is brilliant. Whilst I am not convinced about dogs in eateries, I do applaud Aaron for his policy, I have heard from other folk about his cafe. Not dog owners I may add. And positive. I still do not like the idea! The issue is a lack of publicity for the good things, and as shown here, a concentration on the negative, that goes for many topics. We should still highlight those negatives. We can be clever with stats in the way we want something to be seen, however, testimony rules with this. The stats are important, though will only reveal a tip of the K9 offending iceberg.

One of the saddest things I have seen in Lerwick were two dogs similar to Bordeaux Mastiff,s penned in a small garden. Quite a handful with the combined weight possibly over 120kg.