More on Street Lighting

peter.l

With the SIC turning off selected street lighting in a cost cutting exercise, the cul-de-sac where I live with elderly and invalid neighbours is left in pitch darkness at night. Many other areas will be the same. It occurred to me there could be a cheaper, energy saving alternative providing SIC and residents, or even selected residents are agreeable. Here's the big question - would you agree to have SIC install one of those movement detecting halogen lamps above your front door free of charge? If so, providing other neighbours also agreed, you could all walk along the unlit street and have a light automatically come on as you pass by. There is of course pro's and con's.  Each street will be different. The lamps are not expensive. They will not be high enough to flood the required area with light. SIC responsible for maintaining them (Maybe?) The resident picks up the electricity bill (Hey! Didnt't we already hand over Council Tax to fund street lighting? And finally, it's not just people turn these lamps on, My sisters lamp is triggered by a hedgehog in her garden.
Might be worth a pilot scheme to see if it works.
It's just a thought, probably not a new idea, and even more probable, it's full of loopholes and potholes.

I would think that if the street light were to be turned off as you say, the whole unit would have to be removed.

You can find out if you are on the list for removal here...

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/coins/viewDoc.asp?c=e%97%9Dc%94q%7F%8F

Your suggestion sound good, though, from my own experience, I would doubt the council would replace the street light with a domestic light which in residential areas could be 3 time more powerful using 3 times more electricity, does not bode well with any cabon reduction. Unless of course LED lights are installed. It could be quite a huge cost and will not reduce light polution.

LED lighting is good, it also requires less maintenance if installed correctly.

Part night cells are also commonly used

Or there is the simple answer which is that people expecting to be out when the lights are turned off (after midnight?) carry a torch.

I always carry a small led torch with me in the darkness, well I have since I fell in the ditch. :-)

There will be a lot of torches needed in the town to allow the tipplers to get home, or is this just another cut for country areas.

Yip as expected, very little happening in the town. Isn't that a surprise. I'm sure more areas of Lerwick could do without lighting throughout the wee sma hours.

Can't wait to see the reduction in country areas rates next year with the constant reduction in services we suffer when compared with the town.:-(

There are restrictions, however, if you look at the response rate from residents, in many cases, none were concerned, why would 32 residents out of 368 that are numbered and the many that are not from all the proposed lighting amendments who were in opposition outweigh those hundreds who were not opposed or expresses an opinion. Light polution is a serious issue for some, especially out in rural areas. Shetland is of interest to various groups including astonomers, wildlife and geologists. Saying that though, when I have fitted modern l.e.d. lanterns such as the Urbis it makes a marked difference to pollution, until it rains. However, these lanterns are about £250 plus fitting, at a saving of £20 a year, you are looking at a number of years before there is a true saving.

Restrictions
There are a number of locations and situations where a reduction in street lighting would not be considered. These restrictions include:

major traffic routes (A class roads) through developed areas;

major road junctions;

sites where streetlights have been installed as an accident remedial measure
and sites with a significant night-time traffic accident record;

town centres where there are CCTV areas, high security premises such as
banks and jewellers, a high crime risk and a high concentration of people at
night;

areas with 24hr operational emergency
services sites including hospitals;

sites where the Police are concerned there may be an increase in crime;

areas with sheltered housing and other residences accommodating
vulnerable people;

lanes and footpaths with steps that would be a trip hazard
in poor light; and

where there is a statutory requirement such as the lighting of traffic calming

measures and Pelican crossings

This comes from a report called

Infrastructure & Development Review
Options and Appraisal Document
Roads Street Lighting
Review
Rev 5
-
20 Aug

Also from the document is this...

The detrimental impact of streetlighting that is most often raised in Shetland is light
pollution. Lighting also impacts the environment through energy usage and the
generation of greenhouse gases.
There are also issues with recent and projected high increases in electricity cost that have led many local authorities to reconsider their streetlighting policies in an effort to manage their budgets.

The most obvious impact of light pollution is interference with the view of the night
sky but there are other affects such as harming people’s quality of life. For example
disturbance of sleep caused by excessive light shining into homes. There is also
energy wastage due to light being dispersed into the night sky rather than onto the
road surface and surroundings where it is required. The Roads Service has, for a
number of years, been installing “flat glass†lanterns when replacing existing lighting
infrastructure. This more modern type of lantern is designed to reflect the light itemits downward so that glare and upward light is limited.

The cost of electricity is about 12 per unit, it is worked out on type of light, control for that light and the switching levels of the cell (normally 55lux) street lighting costs just under £200,000 in electricity in total.

If you think that any of the amendments to the lighting is wrong, you are a little behind (almost a year) to perhaps have a say. To make matters worse for you, it was approved in council on the last day of October 2012. Though I would guess that those areas that have intrim PNC controls until columns and lanters reach their end or as a intrim assessment can only be a good thing, if you want the lights to stay on.

What saddens me though with town lights is that sometimes, it is that bright that birds sing all night long, and that has nothing to do with Lionel Richie, Rainbow or Alexandra Burke. ;-)

Not sure about rates though as housholds pay Council Tax which is worked out over an average and property bands. As mentioned, those shops in town pay more BUSINESS Rates and will benefit with the continuation of lighting, which they pay more for (it appears).

I'm all for reduction in street lighting, especially throughout the night, but as I said I think that Lerwick could do with a lot less lights in various places.

As for reduction in rates, the bands were set both in town and out with prior to the reductions in schools, gritting, skips, street lighting etc that in the main affect country areas. Hence the country areas are getting a raw deal.

shetlandpeat wrote :-

where there is a statutory requirement such as the lighting of traffic calming

measures and Pelican crossings

Would that apply to non functioning Pelican crossings such as the majority of those in Lerwick.  At a guess if the crossing is marked as not in use the probably not.

I'm all for reduction in street lighting, especially throughout the night, but as I said I think that Lerwick could do with a lot less lights in various places.

As for reduction in rates, the bands were set both in town and out with prior to the reductions in schools, gritting, skips, street lighting etc that in the main affect country areas. Hence the country areas are getting a raw deal.

Not withstanding the current proposed cuts, are country areas benefiting from other subsidised services, tis all swings and roundabouts. Perhaps then, if you need a service, you pay for it before you get it. As country areas live further away from central areas, they do get the benefits but at an increased cost to the council. Many services are like that, if anything, Lerwick has other disadvantages some who chose to live in the country have not, as with any area, life expectancy can vary as with quality of life. Rates are higher in Lerwick, it is the main town and international sea port. Many areas may not be able to do with out light, as highlighted in the restrictions, unless of course you want to be selective with the restrictions. I am not sure of the figure now, but from 2007 to 2011 there have been no claims against the issues around streetlighting on council insurance policies. there is your bench mark.

What say the majority of other country dwellers?

Not withstanding the current proposed cuts, are country areas benefiting from other subsidised services, tis all swings and roundabouts. Perhaps then, if you need a service, you pay for it before you get it. As country areas live further away from central areas, they do get the benefits but at an increased cost to the council. Many services are like that, if anything, Lerwick has other disadvantages some who chose to live in the country have not, as with any area, life expectancy can vary as with quality of life. Rates are higher in Lerwick, it is the main town and international sea port. Many areas may not be able to do with out light, as highlighted in the restrictions, unless of course you want to be selective with the restrictions. I am not sure of the figure now, but from 2007 to 2011 there have been no claims against the issues around streetlighting on council insurance policies. there is your bench mark.

What say the majority of other country dwellers?

You seem to have difficulty in understanding a simple factor. Rates previously set for town and country. Services cuts greater in country areas thus a poorer service for country areas in comparison with the town. If you lived here you would be feeling it,.

Pete why do you insist in breaking down everything someone posts then cherry picking bits to tear apart like lord judge and jury. Then reply with issues that have little to do with the point.

Fed up, I give up on this issue. I can understand why other closed their accounts.

By the way do your best as I have no intention of replying.

Tis an opinion, as is yours.

However, there are many factors that are within public finance, as you know.

If there was a concensus that the altering of street lighting was a further cut in services in rural areas, then why were there no more objections? It could be said that these hundreds of folks are quite happy with the situation, or not really that annoyed to lodge a complaint. As for the reduction of other service, it is something many have to suffer. If you can protest and make a difference then do so. One you could campaign on which is really having an impact on vulnerable folk is the 60%+ of pensioners in fuel poverty in Shetland.

It could be also said that Shetland had a bit of a boom for a few years, I certainly do not remember all these additional benefits being around in the 70's. Attitudes to councils have also changed, I am fortunate to own a county engineers diary for 1923-28. It is fascinating reading. The respect that councils and their officials have was qhite high, however, the burden on councils was not as heavy as it is now.

The nature of a forum is banter and discussion, if I think you are wrong, then it is right that I say so, as for cherry picking?

This was in the public forum over a year ago, anyone who had their eye on the ball would have tried to make a difference. Streetlights were in another thread on this forum some 2 or 3 years ago.

I certainly agree that the Islands leadership has somewhat let it down in the past.

Edited by shetlandpeat

I bide in Cunninsgburgh and like the majority of folk in the district live on a single track road with no verges and no lighting. My kids are expected to walk to the primary school on said roads as the council deem that walking 1.4 miles of unsafe, unlit road every weekday in winter to be ok for small children.

With that in mind (In reply to the OP) I don't really see fitting special lights to people's houses as a very worthy project. Get the lights off, save money and as an added bonus remove the orange blot from my northern horizon.

If that's a problem for old and disabled folk in town they could do what the old and disabled folk (And nearly everyone else) in the country do - don't wander the parish in the middle of the night.