More on Street Lighting

peter.l

Meanwhile, despite having only 2 street lights working, the SIC in their wisdom decided to remove ALL the street lights today meaning it is pitch black out there.  Ghostie is now effectively on a curfew.  Alas, He is even grumpier than usual given that He now cannot venture safely outside the front door from dusk onwards at all due to no lighting.  One must recall, however, that the SIC Risk Assessment deemed that the disabled wouldn't be affected AT.ALL.

The Community Council has had nothing to report for months concerning said street light scheme so out of the blue we have been thrown into darkness with no warning.  To replace said street lamps is apparently going to take "a few days" but given men are working at height and the weather conditions, it could be longer.

So if anyone is thinking of selling any floodlights ...

The jury is still out down this end, so far all we've got are big holes in the ground, which we're looking in to.....When we're not stumbling around in the dark, trying to avoid falling in to them.

Plum crazy time of year to be putting out folk's lights, just over six weeks until the shortest day. If they couldn't get their turd sorted to do it before the clocks were messed with this end, they could have left it until after they they were messed with again in spring.

• 3 weeks later...

^ I was a very great deal happier living in the sticks with none, at least there you made you own arrangements to suit your own needs - If you want something done, you do it yourself.

This ghetto I currently have the misfortune to be stuck in has had street lights continuously since it was built circa '71/'72. If they'd simply take them away, folk could make their own arrangements, end of. Instead we've lived with half of them not working for one month shy of three years, waiting on them to be replaced, and now that they have finally turned up to do it, they've chosen to do so in the darkest time of year, and are in no hurry to get the job finished - the longer it strings out, the less time workmen are actually on site. Meanwhile we wait some more, this time in the pitch dark. The job could easily have been done in 3-4 days tops, six columns, one day to knock down, one day to erect, one day to fit and wire, and a spare day to cover "unforseens" - we're now at two days shy of three weeks. All the old went, five columns erected, not sure about the sixth, but it wasn't up late last week. Only two fitted and wired as far as I am aware. Workmen were noted on the job on only one day last week, and then only a part day.

Its about pissing, or getting off the pot. Either do the job in a "reasonable" amount of time, or forget pretending to try and do it but never end up getting anywhere, so that folk can take care of it themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

^ No need to "go along" anywhere, when I had grandstand view of the whole show from feet away out whichever of my windows I chose to use. Not that it involved much of anything when a breaker on a self drive mini JD did all the heavy work, nor that has anything to do with anything anyway.

I never said I had any problem with the guys actually getting their hands dirty, they worked away fine, when they were actually on the job, which wasn't long. My issue is with the so called "manager(s)" who decided that November with both lack of light and dubious weather was a smart time of year to pull down all the lights without warning for weeks on end, and then concocting a work schedule that saw what amounted to less than five work days on the job stretched over three weeks, by only having guys on site for only half days or less, and more days of not being there at all, than they actually were.

just because there may be funds available does not mean its wise to do so. its a pity for those that are used to them but apart from town and outside schools we really dont need street lighting. what would be a more sensible use of any money would be to convert the lighting to LEDs would save a fortune in power use. i find it very hard to walk in the dark. dred falling so im understand that it is unpleasant to move about in if your mobility impaired. .