Petition for resignation of SIC

B/M/S

quite right. if i was upto walking i would have been there. 600 is a major % OF SHETLAND TO MARCH. when did 3 % of preston march on anything. if the elected folks in the council dont take heed of what folks are saying then they should not be there. they are all independent so should represent their voters wishes 

The wording of the petition will not be able to be put in practice. When you elect a person to represent your area, it is upon the elected word. I find it difficult to see that you can dictate roles. For instance, you will in effect have a lacking of representation if say on of the pair became I'll for a number of months. Is it then the case that 2 folk who win the popular vote then decide on their role? What if the 2 elected want to do the same role. Is their anything in the constitution that can sort this out?

I doubt this petition will have much of an effect.

Who will lead this revolt. What person would be doing something?

I doubt this petition will have much of an effect.

Define "effect".

One effect it most definitely will have, is that none of the councillors can try and turn around and say they were unaware whatever percentage of the electorate chooses to sign, were deeply unhappy with their performance to date.

As regards the exact wording of the petition, I would see the first rule of haggling applying....Set your opening price high, you can always come down a bit, but you can't go up. 

The wording of the petition will not be able to be put in practice. When you elect a person to represent your area, it is upon the elected word. I

The wording of the petition (which I do not like) is immaterial as there is no mechanism in place to 'force' our councillors to resign but, at the very least, it will convey to them the extreme displeasure much of the electorate has with their actions.

Will they resign 'en bloc'.  I don't think so but, one or two of them might stop and take stock of their actions and, who knows, one or two of the braver ones might even 'fall on their swords' and resign anyway, forcing an election for their wards.   Trouble is, it will likely be the one or two who have least to fear.

It depends on how many sign really...

Folk can be disgruntled at times, what this petition fails to point out is the stuff the council does well and the need to continue those areas and migrate them to other areas.

What ever the council, it will always be wrong in some eyes, yet, it still remains. Even if you do get the petitions wish, again, who will stand instead, will the petitioner, as the ring leader now, bar certain folks from standing or are they going to allow a free and open election. With whe work expected, I would guess only those who can already afford not to work will stand. You may also put off those who work hard in the community already as councillors. However, I would think that many folk are not fully versed in the constitution, because, until this is changed, by councillors, nothing will really change. As going against the constitution and the rest of the Governance associated with Local Gov. could be challenged. If the council select to vote in an illegal budget say, there are means that an officer of that council can take control and at worse, central Gov can appoint a team to oversee the Council.

Petitions, may generate interest, you need to move folk into action. That can take some time..

Until then, continue to scrutinise the members....

This could be aided by the council, introducing a members page on the web site that members can update. The councillors can make that happen. I would think that the Governance around public participation is similar. Folk can formally ask, given correct notice that this can be put on the councils agenda. There are so many things that can be done already to ensure that councillors are up to speed and on the ball.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Folk can be disgruntled at times, what this petition fails to point out is the stuff the council does well and the need to continue those areas and migrate them to other areas.

It depends how many sign, really?

1st off, you are confusing the petition for the SIC Councillors to resign en-mass, with a protest by people who want to save their schools.

100+ (or so, I haven't looked) have signed so far.  Not bad considering that a lot of people that I know don't have access to the internet.

From past experience, I know that trying to organise anything on Shetland really takes a lot of effort just to get a couple of dozen out.  600+, on that basis, seems to me to be a pretty resounding 'how many' and, if you read the different letters pages (published around the web) you will find a lot more (who didn't attend the march for various reasons) being very supportive.

As for you dismissive comment that 'folk can be disgruntled at times', it's gob-smacking that someone who doesn't even live here and has no idea of the feelings 'on the ground' can write off what, in Shetland terms, is a MASSIVE protest. 

Almost as dumb, in fact, as some of our councillors.

• 1 month later...

The SIC are a joke.  The housing debt was with Westminster , which they had promised to pay to the sic for the building of all those houses.  40 years on they finally get a paltry £10 million from Westminster PROVIDING the Scottish gov matches it !!   The Scottish gov had nothing to do with it at all , it was westminsters debt !!   So after 40 years they pay a quarter of what they owed , and after the Scottish gov's £10 million still leaves the sic about 20million out of pocket !

Now as anyone knows , the sic likes to rattle its little sabre at anybody owing them a few quid on rent or council tax , and will pursue someone til they die to get it , but they don't have the friggin balls to stand up and do the same with Westminster......it would be pathetic if it wasn't so funny.  Just shows completely that the majority of them are just there for the free lunch and line their own pockets , instead of standing up and holding the uk gov to account , like they should be doing , if they were representing the electorate.

All we ever heard was "negotiate , negotiate , negotiate" , Rubbish.  You don't "negotiate" with liars and cheats....you DEMAND.

It depends how many sign, really?

1st off, you are confusing the petition for the SIC Councillors to resign en-mass, with a protest by people who want to save their schools.

Explain that for me, where am I doing this?

To be honest, it is your council, sort it out.

This petition is a complete and utter farce.

It is anti-democratic as the electorate voted to put these people in place and that is where they should stay until the next election unless any choose to resign as their own choice.

If you don't like their choice as regards decisions taken by them then, by all means, demonstrate in a legal manner and see where it takes you/us.

^^

Where exactly did I write that the petition wasn't demonstrating in a legal manner?

I think that calling for the council to reign en masse and expecting them to do so is ridiculous. They were voted in to do a job and that is what they are doing. If you and others don't like it then protest and let your feelings be known.

With the MP's in Westminster, voters have a chance to lobby their MP. Similarly, the members of the Shetland electorate can protest en masse and then seek a meeting with individual councillors to put their views across.

One can seek to influence SIC councillor's decisions in key votes but whether they follow a popular viewpoint is entirely up to them.

I would suggest that anyone who thinks the councillors are doing a crap job should seek election themselves at the first opportunity of doing so.

Edited by daveh