Petition for resignation of SIC

B/M/S

Nice rant...  Been on the weetabix again? :razz:

Like the bit about taking a machete to admin.  Hope it's not going to be a private party and that anyone can join in... :twisted:

Nope, no breakfast cereals were harmed in the making of this rant. Still wading through some of the wreckage of my most recent encounter with them is quite enough to enter rant mode all on its own - Doro's 'Above the Ashes' and 'I Rule The Ruins' are still my signature tunes!  :D

The party is a free for all, fill yer boots.  ;-)

Trouble with the SIC bureaucracy is that, it's a bureaucracy, and the first function of any bureaucracy is to protect itself.

Damn, knew I'd forgotten summat!  :!:

Yup, turkeys wil never vote for Christmas, so unless the hatchet squad is sent in from aloft, it's certainly never going to materialise from within the ranks.

I haven't signed the petition.  I don't think the councillors are the crux of the problem at the SIC.

IMHO, what is the problem at the SIC is the ingrained attitude of some (and I stress some) of the civil servants upon which Ghostie touched upon earlier.

We don't know what the Chief Executive is doing behind closed doors to address this, if at all.  But I do know that some Chief Executives elsewhere in the UK do when they get appointed, they insist on all staff attending a speech by the new Chief Executive.  I remember snippets from one I attended:-

Think all those living in council housing should be grateful we've provided a roof over their heads?  Change your attitude or there's the door.

Think a tenant experiencing a leak from a flat above should be grateful they're not paying a plumber £100 per hour and be grateful we're sending one out at all?  Change your attitude or there's the door.

We've always done it like this - be open to change and admit when you're wrong or there's the door.

And so on.  Three hours of listening to how he wanted to bring about change, how his door was open to any and all members of staff.  The Head of Finance walked within 2 months.  A key player in the Housing Dept walked approximately 6 months later.  Guess what?  Things improved dramatically.

----------

Councillors can't change things overnight.  They can't even change things in one term in office.  They also rely on how the press reports things.  Where are all the pertinent questions asked in the chamber being reported?  Having council minutes saying "A discussion then took place" AREN'T minutes but are notes of a meeting.  So no, I'd blame quite a few of the management as opposed to the councillors.

To a degree, councillors are in a no win situation because they can't intervene in individual cases and as far as I understand it, it's the Chief Executive who is in charge of the sinking ship.  If councillors have concerns about how things are done then it's down to the Chief Executive and those under him re the day-to-day running of services, not the councillors.

Sign a petition to sack many of the Heads of Dept/Managers within the SIC?  I'd sign it in a flash.

I don't think the answer is " if your not prepared to stand you can't criticise" nor is it sitting behind a keyboard complaining anonymously. (Although I suppose if read by the right people, this may have some effect). Maybe we should all take more responsibility and ask to meet our councillors or attend more meetings that the council hold, so that we can be more informed and raise our concerns.

I'm not sure how a mass resignation of councillors would help. The positions just need to be filled again and who says they will be any better, never mind the experience and knowledge that would be lost. There are some genuine councillors who do a good job and unfortunately the usual bunch of wannabes or those who think they are something special. That will likely always be the case.

Perhaps we, the electorate need to give more thought about who we elect and why we think they are the right person to represent us. How often have you heard someone say ' I hope they get in, as they will stir it up'?

Whaur did i say you canna criticise? Exactly Whaur? This is the argument of those that winna pit dir money whaur dir mooths ir. Perhaps you should change your name to Windtalker?
Now pull your horns in a bit. Your post, and I quote ....

"I expect all the critics to be upstanding and contest at the next election. I reckon though there will be a moorin o excuses as to why dey winna."

.... says to me that if people shouldn't criticise unless they are prepared to stand.

As an electorate we, you, me, have the right to question what our elected members are doing, if people chose to use this forum to vent on, then that is their right and not illegal.

Starting name calling does nothing to strengthen your opinion on the matter.

Fair point on the Windtalker comment.Why i didna expect a sense of humour bypass. My bad. So why are you not proffering your services for election. I looks from your opinion wir missin oot? I would love to see whaur i said venting your opinion was illegal? You seem to be fond of Fairy stories.

Hi Siccar,

I didn't say you said it was illegal, that is my opinion. As for standing for the council, it's not something that interests me, but that doesn't mean I can't have a view on what they do, or don't do.

I haven't had a humour bypass, you just caught me at a bad time as I was fed up with a certain individual who seems to think that his is the only opinion that matters and can only see black and white, no grey areas.

I must admit I did find your "windtalker" jibe quite amusing when I went back to read it again. :-)

Keep it up. You always mak me think. And question myself.

Edited by Siccar