Petition for resignation of SIC

B/M/S

We hear little of Billy Fox really now, some will say he has been subjected to the "bile" of the county and has been "nobbled", though, he may have found out you need to work quietly from within. It really is the only way when you can count on one hand any protest in the street for the last decade or so.

Did we ever hear much of him as a Councillor. As Chairman of Sustainable Shetland, yes, he made the media a few times, but as a prospective Councillor and Councillor, not so much. Lets face it though, most times the local media only report on individual Councillors for the entertainment or comedy value of a perhaps less than smart action on their part, so the fact he's slipping under their radar could well be taken as he's actually doing not too badly.

He of course may well be "working quietly within", and if he can make that work, good on him, but I'm not holding my breath, as if he does he'll be the first to make it work that way. Sharp wit and sharper tongue in the Council Chamber is the only thing that's ever worked in Shetland, and finding both in the same Councillor has been a bit lacking for a long time.

Edited by Ghostrider

I don't think the answer is " if your not prepared to stand you can't criticise" nor is it sitting behind a keyboard complaining anonymously. (Although I suppose if read by the right people, this may have some effect). Maybe we should all take more responsibility and ask to meet our councillors or attend more meetings that the council hold, so that we can be more informed and raise our concerns.

I'm not sure how a mass resignation of councillors would help. The positions just need to be filled again and who says they will be any better, never mind the experience and knowledge that would be lost. There are some genuine councillors who do a good job and unfortunately the usual bunch of wannabes or those who think they are something special. That will likely always be the case.

Perhaps we, the electorate need to give more thought about who we elect and why we think they are the right person to represent us. How often have you heard someone say ' I hope they get in, as they will stir it up'?

Whaur did i say you canna criticise? Exactly Whaur? This is the argument of those that winna pit dir money whaur dir mooths ir. Perhaps you should change your name to Windtalker?

Whaur did i say you canna criticise? Exactly Whaur? This is the argument of those that winna pit dir money whaur dir mooths ir. Perhaps you should change your name to Windtalker?

To be fair, Windwalker did say she was working on the budget, or at least intimated this in another thread. Though, worryingly, missed out certain financial factors in other threads. We were told to "watch this space"

I don't think the answer is " if your not prepared to stand you can't criticise" nor is it sitting behind a keyboard complaining anonymously. (Although I suppose if read by the right people, this may have some effect). Maybe we should all take more responsibility and ask to meet our councillors or attend more meetings that the council hold, so that we can be more informed and raise our concerns.

I'm not sure how a mass resignation of councillors would help. The positions just need to be filled again and who says they will be any better, never mind the experience and knowledge that would be lost. There are some genuine councillors who do a good job and unfortunately the usual bunch of wannabes or those who think they are something special. That will likely always be the case.

Perhaps we, the electorate need to give more thought about who we elect and why we think they are the right person to represent us. How often have you heard someone say ' I hope they get in, as they will stir it up'?

Now pull your horns in a bit. Your post, and I quote ....

"I expect all the critics to be upstanding and contest at the next election. I reckon though there will be a moorin o excuses as to why dey winna."

.... says to me that if people shouldn't criticise unless they are prepared to stand.

As an electorate we, you, me, have the right to question what our elected members are doing, if people chose to use this forum to vent on, then that is their right and not illegal.

Starting name calling does nothing to strengthen your opinion on the matter.

Edited by Windwalker

To be fair, Windwalker did say she was working on the budget, or at least intimated this in another thread. Though, worryingly, missed out certain financial factors in other threads. We were told to "watch this space"

As usual Pete you remind me of a school bully. You find folk to pick on, then as soon as someone else has a go at them, your in there like a shot getting your dig in. Bullies always need an audience. I've given up on a number of threads because of your digs and inaccurate quotes as have a few before me.

Can you please refer me to where I told you to "watch this space" as apparently my elderly memory must be failing me.

I have been waiting for your report on the budget, good of you to try to label me as a bully, I have not been. If you say you are going to do something, don't and are reminded of that how can that be bullying. What you are doing using that phrase is to make the situation much worse than it really is. Bullying is the use of force, violence or coercion to get ones way. It generally means, in the broadest sense that there is a stronger and weaker presence. This situation is not that. So, it is worrying that you use that phrase.

During the Black Bag debate, you intimated you were doing something about the budget, that is, the perceived high costs of staff and services.

What I wrote....

It would be interesting to see someone put together a workable budget for the islands expenses rather than just shout general ideas that have no substance. All the accounts you need are in the public forum, all you need to know is there. ( Always seems that someone else has to do it eh?)

What you wrote

shetlandpeat, on 29 Apr 2014 - 8:47 PM, said:snapback.png

( Always seems that someone else has to do it eh?).

You don't know what I'm doing about it laddie, so please get your facts correct before having a go.

Then I said this

If you say so... I will wait for your view on the total  budget.... which is what I am talking about..... 

You should have said matey peeps. My facts were correct... (it is always someone else, of course until it is that someone) Well done to you for taking this up, it normally takes quite a team to do this, especially when dealing with the finer points the departments will be obliged to accommodate.

Laddie, hehe. You gave the impression you were working on the budget... I really am still waiting on this, if you are still getting on with it.

However, as money has been mentioned, it is interesting to note that roughly, every member of the population on Shetland has about £4955 spent on it a year compared to say Lancashire that has only has about £519 spent per head of population, that being 1.4 odd million. Perhaps there may have to be reductions so you can afford the cuts imposed, shouting about past spends does not solve the present situation.

Anyhow, nothing has happened, so, we are watching the space you have left with this. Though, not being exact with the phrase now will give you more grapeshot to sling around and totally miss the point. However, it is not important, now is it?

What is important is the apparent failure of Shetland to elect a council that will "man up". In the eyes and thoughts of a few who comment openly about this.

I do agree, you cannot sack the council, Siccar, although blunt tends to be right in their observations.

Edited by shetlandpeat

I have been waiting for your report on the budget, good of you to try to label me as a bully, I have not been. If you say you are going to do something, don't and are reminded of that how can that be bullying. What you are doing using that phrase is to make the situation much worse than it really is. Bullying is the use of force, violence or coercion to get ones way. It generally means, in the broadest sense that there is a stronger and weaker presence. This situation is not that. So, it is worrying that you use that phrase.

During the Black Bag debate, you intimated you were doing something about the budget, that is, the perceived high costs of staff and services.

What I wrote....

It would be interesting to see someone put together a workable budget for the islands expenses rather than just shout general ideas that have no substance. All the accounts you need are in the public forum, all you need to know is there. ( Always seems that someone else has to do it eh?)

What you wrote

shetlandpeat, on 29 Apr 2014 - 8:47 PM, said:snapback.png

( Always seems that someone else has to do it eh?).

You don't know what I'm doing about it laddie, so please get your facts correct before having a go.

Then I said this

If you say so... I will wait for your view on the total budget.... which is what I am talking about.....

You should have said matey peeps. My facts were correct... (it is always someone else, of course until it is that someone) Well done to you for taking this up, it normally takes quite a team to do this, especially when dealing with the finer points the departments will be obliged to accommodate.

Laddie, hehe. You gave the impression you were working on the budget... I really am still waiting on this, if you are still getting on with it.

However, as money has been mentioned, it is interesting to note that roughly, every member of the population on Shetland has about £4955 spent on it a year compared to say Lancashire that has only has about £519 spent per head of population, that being 1.4 odd million. Perhaps there may have to be reductions so you can afford the cuts imposed, shouting about past spends does not solve the present situation.

Anyhow, nothing has happened, so, we are watching the space you have left with this. Though, not being exact with the phrase now will give you more grapeshot to sling around and totally miss the point. However, it is not important, now is it?

What is important is the apparent failure of Shetland to elect a council that will "man up". In the eyes and thoughts of a few who comment openly about this.

I do agree, you cannot sack the council, Siccar, although blunt tends to be right in their observations.

As usual Pete you make something up out if nothing. Just because I said " you don't know what I'm doing about it" you have decided that I should be preparing a budget and have to report back to you! As I've asked you before on here, please do not try to put words in my mouth or twist what has been said.

For your information what I was doing about it was meeting with my councillor to discuss my concerns. Nowhere did I say that I was working on a budget.PLEASE DO NOT MISQUOTE ME Or make things up to suit your argument.

I don't need lessons from you regarding the definition of a bully. In my book a bully can be someone who deliberately stirs up other folk through misquoting, suggesting they've said something they didn't and jumping at the chance to have a dig.

Edited by Windwalker

I do agree, you cannot sack the council,....

How would you know. Last I heard you were on the other side of the fence so not in a position to give an unbiased opinion. Those who live in ivory towers always consider themselves invincible until their posterior hits the ground hard.

Correct no one member of the electorate or even the entirity of the electorate can sack a Council, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

However, I have repeated the quotes, If you do not like it then make your rebuttal, however, the indication was, you were going to look at the budget, due to your lack of initial denial. Now you are saying, your current statement correct. OK, have it your way.

If it suits you to adopt that definition, then suits you.

There are no mechanisms to sack the council. As you are aware, the council is far bigger than the few elected as representatives. The only way, as far as I know, a council can be removed is via the GOV if the council set an illegal budget, then, one of the officers, which has already been decided upon who, will run the council. However, the council will still remain.

Regardless of fences and perceived sides of fences, the law is the same. Remember also, Ivory is a banned import, so I doubt any substantial towers could be built. However, the deception is there, you could change it. It is within your gift to try.

Revolution? Perhaps, however, I think you just may get very dizzy with the lack of support. Someone will always want to control.

As for our feline example, folk need to get angry enough to want to take the mantle. However, as you know, tis the same old folk.

Edited by shetlandpeat