Petition for resignation of SIC

B/M/S

However, I have repeated the quotes, If you do not like it then make your rebuttal, however, the indication was, you were going to look at the budget, due to your lack of initial denial. Now you are saying, your current statement correct. OK, have it your way.

If it suits you to adopt that definition, then suits you.

Your unbelievable, you make your mind up that I've said something I didn't, then you say it is true, just because of my lack of initial denial. You make up and quote, your weird version of what you think I said or didn't say.

I never indicated that I was going to look at a budget, I just said, you don't know what I'm doing. Christ you couldn't make it up.

So I'll tell you what suits me. It's to give up getting involved in this crap, and as the only way to stop you nip picking my posts is not to bother posting. So Pete you can have it all your way.

Have a nice day :-)

i seem to remember that some labour councils were sacked in the past. and you miss the spending of the local councils and parish ones. in your figures are you counting the population of the unitary councils like blackburn 

As you know Paul, Unitary councils are not covered by the County, I wonder what you are trying to prove there. Still regardless of this, there is a huge gap between the figures of spend per person. Even if you account for the small by comparison budgets of district councils you will struggle to attain those figures. Saying that however, there is a greater interest for partner working with services, the four years previous to the present administration has seen a number of millions given to private companies who then turn a profit on public money.  I am still wondering how you sack the council. Would then the SGov not take over with its appointed officer.

There are times for some councils I hope that is the case, it could mean that things could get sorted out. You will also find out some home truths as well. Perhaps the best way then would be for those who thing something should be done and are willing to do it, get on with it. The trouble is though, we only hear the bad things and are not, it seems prepared to take on board the good, I can only assume that the good are irrelevant in folks eyes, as we know on these forum, to maintain the "good" threads will always be a labour.

Who would take over?

Edited by shetlandpeat

i seem to remember that some labour councils were sacked in the past. and you miss the spending of the local councils and parish ones. in your figures are you counting the population of the unitary councils like blackburn 

As you know Paul, Unitary councils are not covered by the County. Still regardless of this, there is a huge gap between the figures of spend per person. I am still wondering how you sack the council.

Who would take over?

Would you like to think that one over for a minute, or phone a "friend".

No need really, it will have to be democratic, you are still under laws of a larger group. To be honest, there will probably be little difference. It will be folk who think they have the answer and will do something to try and enact their thoughts.

The Shetland Popular Front may need to recruit. ;-)

I don't think the answer is " if your not prepared to stand you can't criticise" nor is it sitting behind a keyboard complaining anonymously. (Although I suppose if read by the right people, this may have some effect). Maybe we should all take more responsibility and ask to meet our councillors or attend more meetings that the council hold, so that we can be more informed and raise our concerns.

I'm not sure how a mass resignation of councillors would help. The positions just need to be filled again and who says they will be any better, never mind the experience and knowledge that would be lost. There are some genuine councillors who do a good job and unfortunately the usual bunch of wannabes or those who think they are something special. That will likely always be the case.

Perhaps we, the electorate need to give more thought about who we elect and why we think they are the right person to represent us. How often have you heard someone say ' I hope they get in, as they will stir it up'?

Whaur did i say you canna criticise? Exactly Whaur? This is the argument of those that winna pit dir money whaur dir mooths ir. Perhaps you should change your name to Windtalker?
Now pull your horns in a bit. Your post, and I quote ....

"I expect all the critics to be upstanding and contest at the next election. I reckon though there will be a moorin o excuses as to why dey winna."

.... says to me that if people shouldn't criticise unless they are prepared to stand.

As an electorate we, you, me, have the right to question what our elected members are doing, if people chose to use this forum to vent on, then that is their right and not illegal.

Starting name calling does nothing to strengthen your opinion on the matter.

Fair point on the Windtalker comment.Why i didna expect a sense of humour bypass. My bad. So why are you not proffering your services for election. I looks from your opinion wir missin oot? I would love to see whaur i said venting your opinion was illegal? You seem to be fond of Fairy stories.

Edited by Siccar

"I expect all the critics to be upstanding and contest at the next election. I reckon though there will be a moorin o excuses as to why dey winna."

.... says to me that if people shouldn't criticise unless they are prepared to stand.

If that says that to you........So be it. Not my view but i am sure you wiil re-focus my gaze. Canna wait for da next Golden nugget.

After all, if you want a job done properly do you not do it yourself?

Or do you expect someone else to?

Edited by Siccar

So I'll tell you what suits me. It's to give up getting involved in this crap, and as the only way to stop you nip picking my posts is not to bother posting. So Pete you can have it all your way.

Have a nice day :-)

Doesn't seem to be happy unless he is stirring things up so, you could always try what myself, and a lot of others do, just ignore the troll and don't acknowledge any of his posts.

Thank you Colin, that's good advice. I'll see how long it takes for the digs to start. :-)

I don't think the answer is " if your not prepared to stand you can't criticise" nor is it sitting behind a keyboard complaining anonymously. (Although I suppose if read by the right people, this may have some effect). Maybe we should all take more responsibility and ask to meet our councillors or attend more meetings that the council hold, so that we can be more informed and raise our concerns.

I'm not sure how a mass resignation of councillors would help. The positions just need to be filled again and who says they will be any better, never mind the experience and knowledge that would be lost. There are some genuine councillors who do a good job and unfortunately the usual bunch of wannabes or those who think they are something special. That will likely always be the case.

Perhaps we, the electorate need to give more thought about who we elect and why we think they are the right person to represent us. How often have you heard someone say ' I hope they get in, as they will stir it up'?

Whaur did i say you canna criticise? Exactly Whaur? This is the argument of those that winna pit dir money whaur dir mooths ir. Perhaps you should change your name to Windtalker?
Now pull your horns in a bit. Your post, and I quote ....

As an electorate we, you, me, have the right to question what our elected members are doing, if people chose to use this forum to vent on, then that is their right and not illegal.

Starting name calling does nothing to strengthen your opinion on the matter.

Fair point on the Windtalker comment.Why i didna expect a sense of humour bypass. My bad. So why are you not proffering your services for election. I looks from your opinion wir missin oot? I would love to see whaur i said venting your opinion was illegal? You seem to be fond of Fairy stories.

Hi Siccar,

I didn't say you said it was illegal, that is my opinion. As for standing for the council, it's not something that interests me, but that doesn't mean I can't have a view on what they do, or don't do.

I haven't had a humour bypass, you just caught me at a bad time as I was fed up with a certain individual who seems to think that his is the only opinion that matters and can only see black and white, no grey areas.

I must admit I did find your "windtalker" jibe quite amusing when I went back to read it again. :-)

I was at the Building Budgets meeting at the Town Hall tonight. There seemed to be as many councillors and SIC officials there as members of the public. The object of the exercise was to use a computer model loaded with the SIC budgets to reduce them sufficiently to give a balanced budget for 2015/16, which I achieved mainly by cutting admin budgets.

There are still opportunities to take part

Mon 18th Aug 7.00 – 9.00 p.m. Whalsay Junior High School

Tues 19th Aug 7.00 – 9.00 p.m. Brae Hall
Wed 20th Aug 7.00 – 9.00 p.m. Aith Junior High School
Thurs 21st Aug 7.00 – 9.00 p.m. Sandwick Junior High School

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/news-advice/buildingbudgets.asp

^ It really shouldn't need a computer model, meetings and the public to tell them going with a machete through Admin is one way ahead to trim excess. Given that Admin seems to have escaped largely unscathed in previous cuts, and in any case by default its "unproductive" expenditure in the first place - some Admin is unavoidable, but it is an unfortunate by-product of providing the services folk need, nothing more, and should be kept to the absolute bare minimum to ensure VFM for Tax Payers, and maximum benefits for those with a need for the services provided. I would hope "Admin" also encompasses ""Managers", but just in case it doesn't. I'm mentioning them specially anyway, there seem to be an awful lot of them, a very many of them managing apparently awfully little, and several of them not doing even that very well. Maybe that's because there seems to be even less managing of the "Managers", or maybe its worse than that....

Perhaps also if a little "re-education" was employed in some departments to remind employees that they are the service provider and the public is the customer, and not that they are God and the public are there to be herded like a flock of sheep, a great deal more could be provided to those who need and want services with very few cuts being put in place. A reminder that they are there to provide what they are permitted, to those who enquire, and to offer the same, politely to anyone they encounter whom they think might be interested. Instead of wading in all guns blazing on the strength of jumped to conclusions based on minimal and as often entirely false facts, trying to force unwelcome attentions on folk which amounts to taking control and micro-managing their lives, wouldn't go amiss either. Nor would it do their PR any harm, and it would certainly help ensure whatever budget they have is better targetted where it is most needed - few will begrudge a budget spent wisely and productively, but even few will support a budget wasted on needless interfering where its not wanted, brow beating folk, and simply refusing to take "no" for an answer, when its the only answer they'll ever get..

Edited by Ghostrider

Nice rant...  Been on the weetabix again? :razz:

Like the bit about taking a machete to admin.  Hope it's not going to be a private party and that anyone can join in... :twisted:

Trouble with the SIC bureaucracy is that, it's a bureaucracy, and the first function of any bureaucracy is to protect itself.

That's why so many of the real workers have gotten the elbow.  Makes the seat polishers look like they are doing a good job of saving money(?) whilst, in reality, they are just protecting themselves.

Puts me in mind of the late(?) "Best Value" scheme dreamed up by the SIC. 

(maybe it wasn't dreamed up, just pinched from elsewhere.  Is there anybody at the SIC who is capable of an original thought?)

The thrust of this scheme, from 1st hand experience, seemed to be getting someone else to enact and pay for that which was the SIC's responsibility.

Maybe some manager(?) got some "brownie points" for that one. Who knows?