100 Days to Scottish Independence Referendum

I have a question!.

There are approx 1800 construction workers in Shetland just now but am I right in thinking their votes don't count in relation to the Shetland count?.

Is it only folk who have a registered home address in Shetland?.

I would imagine that they have to be living in Scotland to be entitled to (a postal)? vote. 

Well I have voted although I must admit if there had been a "maybe" box on the ballot paper I would have ticked that.  I just hope that whatever the result people work together to make the new Scotland (and either way we will have something new) a better place.  Just accept the result or leave.

Perhaps not if todays news reports are to be believed seems the Tory stalwarts will vote against extending powers and maintaining funding levels

Well I have voted although I must admit if there had been a "maybe" box on the ballot paper I would have ticked that.  I just hope that whatever the result people work together to make the new Scotland (and either way we will have something new) a better place.  Just accept the result or leave.

Perhaps not if todays news reports are to be believed seems the Tory stalwarts will vote against extending powers and maintaining funding levels

Perhaps, but this lot will have to do it as a rush job if they want to achieve it, they'll have six months tops before they're potentially kicked out on their arses.

ok, so that offer of "more powers" if we vote 'no'... 

setting aside the fact that this is a last minute offer from david "no top down reorganisation of the NHS" cameron, nick "no tuition fees" clegg and ed "hasn't even made a memorable promise to break yet" miliband that isn't worth the back of a fag packet they wrote it on...

even if it was delivered in some form it still leaves westminster controlling the purse strings, and with a massive 25bn worth of austerity cuts on the way and budget cuts for scotland post-referendum this offer amounts to "you can spend the crumbs we give you after we've siphoned off all the oil money for london-centric projects and tax cuts for our city pals on WHATEVER YOU LIKE!" 

a 'no' vote will either leave us with reduced funds, a weak labour government running scared of daily mail headlines or, more likely, a tory/ukip coalition where the selling off of any remaining public services will accelerate, more power to the banks and corporations through TTIP which tories/ukip both support. 

a 'yes' vote would at least give us the chance to run things differently, keep the NHS from slipping into the abyss, and take back some public services from the private profiteers cameron and co handed it to in return for party donations and probably future directorships.

or, you know, you can just go with this guy...

camoron

happy voting.

Edited by Distortio

On balance, if I were able, it would have to be a no vote. Many of the questions about the yes vote have not been clearly answered, when the SNP are asked a question they do not like, they point at a flag and exclaim about the great opportunity. May be there is one in the future, I would rather vote no now, and spend a while weighing up the information as it progresses and have another go later than blow on a Yes vote and it being wrong (no going back me thinx).

Though, it is the residents of Scotland who can decide, where ever they have come from.

Finances.... Research..... Scotland will be the 14th richest country in the world as an independent country even the the Financial Times agrees that Scotland will be viable nation state and so did David Cameron. That position by the way for Scotland is higher than the UK.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5b5ec2ca-8a67-11e3-ba54-00144feab7de.html#slide0

According to the UK official statistics figures Scotland is the third richest region after London and the Southeast.

In terms of Democracy in Scotland as covered previously on this website the current Government is not based upon a central belt decision as the map shows in 2011 every parliamentary constituency south of Orkney until Dumbarton on the banks of the Clyde voted for the party of Government.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Parliament_general_election,_2011#/image/File:Scottish_Parliament_election_2011_map.svg

The Scottish Government that our MSP served in were based upon the Labour Central Belt heartland power sharing as the electoral system in Scotland was designed to make it almost impossible for 1 party to have a majority.

Respectively the UK state is financially broke with debt of over £1.3 trillion and borrowed over £100 billion last year to balance the book. If the UK was an internationally traded share the markets would have a sale tag due to risks. Austerity measure are along way of finishing with a further £25 billion planned after the next UK General Election. The much vaunted IFS report states the UK will remain in austerity for the next 50 years based upon current UK government plans.

Due diligence does not always work just ask RBS about there last takeover. Financial forecast are more often wrong than right.

It takes two sides to sit down and agree the dis aggregation of the UK but this never happened before the election because the UK Government stated position was no pre-negotiations which causes the uncertainty they wished for.

Life is always full of uncertainties and change is coming irrespective of today's vote. Live life full of hope not fear and embrace change to deliver a fairer, justice and more equitable society.

Edited by Who Knows

it's amazing how many people still seem to see this as a vote for alex salmond or the SNP. it isn't. got that? ok, good.

you can vote for whoever you want come the scottish elections in 2016, and your vote will be much more likely to be of some consequence. i certainly won't be voting SNP.

oh, and the whole "selling the braveheart image" accusation is just nonsense. throughout the entire campaign the only mentions of that were from cynical 'no' supporters. there has also been a reassuring lack of historical 'auld enemy' rhetoric. 

carmichael has gone on record at the 11th hour saying if scotland votes 'yes' and shetland votes 'no' decisively there should be talks about becoming a crown dependency or somesuch. don't have any problem with getting some more autonomy for the isles, but throwing our lot in with westminster would be utterly ridiculous, the worst of all outcomes. fair to say better together had a hand in the timing of that announcement, the day before polling... smacked of an attempt to scare 'yes' voters into thinking "oh no! there will be no oil, the dream is dead!" knowing it can be properly scrutinised before the vote. 

but it's ok, 'better together' have form on this sort of thing. presumably some sort of unsubstantiated last minute vow to give shetland some more powers would suffice.

....but throwing our lot in with westminster would be utterly ridiculous, the worst of all outcomes.....

The exact opposite of my feelings. I don't see throwing our lot in with a virtually unknown quantity at Holyrood being a more sane choice.

A politician is a politician whether (s)he's wearing a tartan skirt or a bowler hat....All mouth before they get their ass firmly planted, then no delivery on anything.

Westminster or Holyrood, we're a minor inconsequential bum f*ck outpost that's only good for what they can suck out of us equally to both of them. No good ever comes to us from either of the pair of them, only aggro.

At least Westminster are the devils we know, and they have been content with only sucking the oil out of us for the last 40 years. The devil we don't really know in Holyrood seems to be wanting more than that, by plastering the place over with windmills too to appease a personal pipedream, but is offering nothing more in return for the two course meal at our expense, than Westminster have been content with for their single course - not a promising portent for the future.

it's amazing how many people still seem to see this as a vote for alex salmond or the SNP. it isn't. got that? ok, good.

Oh yes it is....   Got that?

After all, it is THEIR policy and THEY are the ones pushing it...

and again. never ceases to amaze... THEY are not the only ones pushing it. any more than the tories are the only ones pushing bt. the vote for any political party including but not limited to the SNP is in 2016. 

....but throwing our lot in with westminster would be utterly ridiculous, the worst of all outcomes.....

The exact opposite of my feelings. I don't see throwing our lot in with a virtually unknown quantity at Holyrood being a more sane choice.

A politician is a politician whether (s)he's wearing a tartan skirt or a bowler hat....All mouth before they get their ass firmly planted, then no delivery on anything.

Westminster or Holyrood, we're a minor inconsequential bum f*ck outpost that's only good for what they can suck out of us equally to both of them. No good ever comes to us from either of the pair of them, only aggro.

At least Westminster are the devils we know, and they have been content with only sucking the oil out of us for the last 40 years. The devil we don't really know in Holyrood seems to be wanting more than that, by plastering the place over with windmills too to appease a personal pipedream, but is offering nothing more in return for the two course meal at our expense, than Westminster have been content with for their single course - not a promising portent for the future.

much as westminster is a known quantity, it is a terrible one. you appear to get that. except of course following a 'no' vote it will get considerably worse. can you imagine the indignant bullingdon wrath exacted on scotland for having the audacity to want control of its own affairs? 25bn of further austerity are already planned, cutting the scottish budget by 4bn. we very likely won't get the "new powers", westminster has previous on this as i'm sure you're aware. better the devil you know seems silly in a situation like this. like listening to some music you dislike but not bothering to change the record because at least you're familiar with it...

some windmills don't seem like such a bad thing, i'd like to think that long term we'd be looking more at tidal, but weaning off oil gradually seems like sense. and of course we'd be better off financially if it was under scottish control instead of london. surely you can see that? oh, and with a 'yes' vote shetland will get the revenue the crown estate currently collects for the seabed. 

but if you can't see the benefits because of some kind of long distance stockholm syndrome that's too bad. i just hope that attitude doesn't get reflected in the polls or you'll doubtless be moaning about it on here in a few years when those policies really start to bite. who will you blame then? the council? the previous+1 labour government? 

don't make me quote myself  in a few years now.  ;-) 

Just had a light bulb moment -

Earlier this summer David Cammeron made a unanounced vist to Shetland - the local council wined and dined him and he stayed overnight I think- there was a bit of a ho-ha as the media hadn't been informed about it and it went largly un-reported in the national press.

Was the crafty sod doing a deal with our council and Carmichael ?????

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/17/shetland-may-reconsider-place-scotland-yes-vote-alistair-carmichael

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/9556-downing-street-silent-on-camerons-secret-shetland-visit