100 Days to Scottish Independence Referendum

I didn't have much before but now I'm afraid I have no time for Alistair Carmichael at all.

The independance campaign actually showed just how useless both he and Tavish Scott are.

Alistair Carmichael still can't seem to get away from the British/Scottish angle rather than fighting Shetland's corner which is what he's elected to do.

"For me, the Yes Shetland Facebook Page did more harm than good in relation to Shetland. "

That's what happens when a bunch of clowns with no social manners or political acumen are allowed to run things their own way.

You are either for 'our gang' or against us...

Pathetic.

I'm almost pleased to see some of them looking like they are chewing a wasp....

I didn't have much before but now I'm afraid I have no time for Alistair Carmichael at all.

The independance campaign actually showed just how useless both he and Tavish Scott are.

Alistair Carmichael still can't seem to get away from the British/Scottish angle rather than fighting Shetland's corner which is what he's elected to do.

Maybe Carmichael is restrained by the fact that he is also a member of the cabinet?  I am also pretty sure that he has done some useful things for Shetland such as..,,,..er,  yes..  Got it..  He helped convert the 40M that Westminster owed us into 20M that we owed them.. 

As for Tavish, I would not describe him as useless.  I spoke with him (very briefly) last week and, reading between the lines, I suspect that, in event of a Yes vote, he was ready to try something pretty radical.  Would have gotten my vote on it anyway.

Putting things in a little perspective 1,775,045 people voted for the establishment of the Holyrood Parliament in 1997.

On Thursday 1,617,989 people voted to make that Parliament the democratic home of an independent Scotland.

That's equivalent to 91% of 1997 vote and is the third highest vote total in Scottish political history

However 2,001,926 people voted against the proposition the highest ever vote for something in Scottish political history.

Regardless of your views participatory democracy was the winner through creating the largest electoral register and voter turn out in Scotland ever.

Edited by Who Knows

Regardless of your views participatory democracy was the winner through creating the largest electoral register and voter turn out in Scotland ever.

Unfortunately, 45% of the turnout now feel pretty bad about it and a good percentage of those do not appear mature enough to accept defeat.

1.6 million is a lot of pissed off people...

^ Take it you've not seen the paranoid conspiracy theorists and pipe dreamer's ramblings crawling all over FB these last couple of days. The place isn't fit to go near.

The referendum is old history now, nobody "won", everybody "lost", even the narcissist designer and orchestrator of it all. God knows how much it all cost that could have been much better spent elsewhere, and what old rivalries its re-opened that will fester all over again for who knows how long to come.

Not often I advocate sweeping it all under the rug and try and salvage from the wreckage some kind of future, but this is one time I will, and without the delusions and fairy tales that are springing up everywhere.

Look the vote is over people will be licking their wounds for some time we need to move on together and get the best we can localy. Getting ivolved in moomin for tat facebook gossip will not help

???**!!!???

Yes. Exactly.

From what I've seen (and I'm sad enough to spend quite some time on FB) it would appear that 'social media' is dominated by politically gullible swivel-eyed people who are incapable of forming an opinion without having it posted to them by equally politically gullible swivel-eyed people who get there opinions from politically gullible......... you get the picture, I'm sure......

Anyone else think gorden Brown looks like the future scottish first minister

I had no time for him as pm , but no doubt he won the the battle for the UK

Edd millewatsit was hopeless as ever

But I think a man is lining up a future job would first minister Brown be a bad thing?

I almost choked when I saw Gordon Brown wading in and taking "centre stage" .

This is the man who raided the pensions of millions and who In his own way was actually more unlikeable than Tony Blair.

Incidentally, I see on FB that many Scottish Labour supporters are cutting up their membership cards and flitting to the SNP or Scottish Green Party so I wonder if Scottish Labour has been/will be badly damaged by this.

As Ghostie says though, it's all by with now and I guess in a week or two life will be back to "normal" and it'll be as if it never happened.

As to what the future holds, who knows.......

Edited by Kavi Ugl

This is my first post on here and probably my last. I created my membership so that I could make this single post in response to some of the comments given and the result of the referendum. None of you will find what follows pleasant reading.

First of all, I'm not from Shetland, I'm from Scotland. I didn't realise so many of you regarded Scottish people as some sort of foreign enemy until I came on here. Knowing that actually helps explain things but I would never have guessed that my customers in Shetland thought of me like that. More on my Shetland customers to come...

I'm from Glasgow. I'm pretty well off, to tell the truth. I don't drink, don't take drugs, and am reasonably boring really. I also don't watch or take any interest in football. In all that I'm quite an odd Glaswegian. I run my own business, keep myself to myself, and am devoted to my family. I have two kids.

Glasgow and so many other places are in a desperate state right now. The austerity and the recession have taken a toll. I voted yes in the referendum because I wanted someone to address issues of poverty above all else. Since it pains me to see child poverty and food banks on the rise just about everywhere, you might argue that it was selfish of me to vote Yes and I wouldn't argue.

So, it looks like almost two thirds of Shetland people voted No and that puzzles me. Shetland was actually one of the staunchest supporters of No, in regional terms. Very odd. The people I know from Shetland seemed very reasonable, like most others. I've actually helped a few of them out in ways that go beyond business too. For example, one of my customers has a son studying at Glasgow university and without going into detail, I went out of my way to help with advice and providing a van to move stuff when he moved into a flat here.

There's no nice way of saying this though. As of Monday, I will not be doing business with anyone from Shetland. I will also not be helping anyone from Shetland in any other way. If I meet someone from Shetland, I will be either very curt or very nasty to them. If I had the power to speak for Glasgow as a whole, I would advise you not to come here. Obviously I feel very let down by what has happened but that is to say I think Shetlanders are a let down.

I don't expect many of you to lose any sleep over some bitter foreigner in Glasgow. That's fine. My advice to you is to push for Shetland independence because I don't think I'm alone in thinking the way I think about this stuff. As for the few who voted Yes and the injustice of collective punishment, I'm afraid I don't have time to filter you out for preferential treatment. At the end of the day, you might have done more to convince your neighbours to vote for Yes.

As for your sons and daughters, they ultimately are the ones who will need to live with your decision, as are mine. You might think you have some sort of strategically superior position with regards to oil etc., but I think you mistaken in that respect. Based on what I've read, many of you can barely afford to heat yourselves and I can't see that changing any time soon with power now firmly in the hands of Westminster.

I will be honest with my Shetland customers when explain why I am boycotting them. Honesty matters to me and I am looking forward to those discussions.

^ You'll be boycotting the other 27 regions that voted 'no' too, I guess.

As a 'yes' voter, I am now highly relieved it was a 'no'. I had no idea what kind of bedfellows I had but my eyes have been opened the past few days.

No, just the ones who resoundingly voted NO, like Shetland. It's my right to boycott you, just as it was your right to selfishly vote NO in such high numbers.

You might as well hear it from me, a lot of us are thinking the same way down here in Glasgow. I hope to prove to you that the opinions of Glaswegians matter and count for something -- we are still the biggest city in Scotland. I'll be promoting a boycott of Shetland just as I am promoting a boycott B&Q and so many others who let us down. Keep an eye on the web, this is very real.