SIC Chipping.....

So, a week today Shetland's roads will be bristling with 300 bikers at the annual Simmer Dim Rally.

Most just want to tour, explore and enjoy Shetland.

And what do the SIC do?.

Start chipping the roads left, right and centre....

The rally is being held at the Nesting Hall and new caravan park this year and yet, I'm informed that they've chipped either side of the Nesting junction and down the Nesting road!!.

Could they not have waited even a few days until the Simmer Dim Rally is past??.

Unbelievable.....

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Its the same every year they start chipping at the begining of june, just afore da Rally, not very nice. but why does the chippings always come aff great big bare bit almost straight away leaving a crap surface, maybe it wis da apprentice dat did it

It could be something the Rally organisers can do via their officers. I would think they should see, if it cannot be moved, ask S.I.C. for a list of the works and perhaps advise those attending before hand. Though, if you tried to work on the roads and suit everyones wishes, you may not get anything done. A few days however is nearly 2 weeks. The roads, as we have been told are not in good fettle.

Could they not have waited even a few days until the Simmer Dim Rally is past??.

....but, that would involve common sense and joined up thinking. Don't you think the SIC have problems enough already before they have to get involved with any of that kind of nonsense as well.

Edited by Ghostrider

Ahaha, too true Ghostrider!.

In the grand scheme of things joined up thinking might actually save them money too, so we can't have that!.

I'm well aware II that folk can and should drive wi caution over the chipped areas but even at the 20mph it can be a "wibble wobble" experience on a bike.

A peerie bit of common sense would have just left it until after the Simmer Dim Rally.

Sadly, it's too late now :(

Edited by Kavi Ugl

I was driving north from Lerwick last night and it's a miracle that my windscreen was not chipped.  Just replaced my windscreen about 6 months ago so was not a happy bunny when 3 white pick-ups in a row went flying past in the opposite direction over the chipped bit of road near the Nesting junction. Two caused stones to hit my windscreen. It would have been kinda funny if I hadn't been so angry, as I was ducking down in the car as the chips (which looked huge) came hurtling towards me, almost it seemed in slow motion.

I would have said that the pick-ups were doing about 60mph and the cars travelling in the opposite direction were doing 30mph.

Edited by trowie246

So, a week today Shetland's roads will be bristling with 300 bikers at the annual Simmer Dim Rally.

Most just want to tour, explore and enjoy Shetland.

And what do the SIC do?.

Start chipping the roads left, right and centre....

The rally is being held at the Nesting Hall and new caravan park this year and yet, I'm informed that they've chipped either side of the Nesting junction and down the Nesting road!!.

Unbelievable.....

All is not lost, Kavi.

Those on big trailies or a GS (like me) fitted with knobblies can have great fun wheelspinning on the newly chipped surface.

5 points for every meter strip of chippings removed and a bonus ten points if you can blast a car or pedestrian with a spray of chippings  :cool:

Scorrie!, erm, I'm not sure what to say!.

The only consolation is that the roads are heaving with big trucks and buses just now, especially heading north to Total, so perhaps this will help flatten down the chippings a little before Thursday.

Edited by Kavi Ugl