Shetland Tenant's Forum

Ghostrider

Do these folk actually do anything unless send out a Newsletter every so often, do they still exist for that matter? Has any tenant ever managed to engage with them, and more to the point have been helped in any way by them?

They publish physical address, phone and email contact details on their website and literature, but having emailed them eight years ago with a general enquiry about SIC Housing procedure and gotten no reply, and emailed them again around two months ago about an article on their website, and again gotten no reply, I'm beginning to wonder if they're anything more than a facade.

Having had a look around their website they have the minutes of their monthly meetings from January 2013 through to October 2013 inclusive, then nothing. Their "next meeting" is showing as being scheduled on "Tuesday 1st April 2014", neither of which is very encouraging. In the rhetoric they publish there's plenty of "talking the talk", but is there any "walking the walk" going on here, does anyone happen to know?

It seems to suggest you need to be involved. It seems to be among important issues...

Posted by shetlandtenants on Friday, November 15, 2013

We are holding an open day for Shetland Island Council’s tenants to discuss some very important issues on:

• Rents
  • Tenants Charter
  • Being involved

As it is run by tenants, I would imagine the tenants can be involved in what the Forum is doing, though there is an emphasis in the 8 tenant associations.

It is something you have to join as well according to the following quote to be able to table questions...

snip.... you can join the Shetland Tenants Forum as a tenant and contact us by phone, text, email or letter with your questions and we will consult with you on relevant housing issues.

There is this opportunity,

If you are interested in becoming a committee member please contact our tenant participation officer, Joann Johnson, for more information.

and you can change it to suit yourself if need be..

http://www.shetlandtenantsforum.com/

Edited by shetlandpeat

Peat,

Nowhere on their site (that I can find) explicitly states that a tenant has to join anything to be acknowledged. The information provided makes this a quite ambigious point, some statements would seem to infer a tenant does have to join, some would seem to infer a tenant does not. As the man said, its about as clear as mud.

Regardless, all avenues offered to progress either queries, joining or anything else are directed to one set of contact details, a physical address, phone number and email address, which is my point. I have attempted to contact the Forum using those details twice in eight years, and have not received a reply of acknowledgement to either. At the risk of stating the glaringly obvious, it is something akin to impossible to become involved or join anything, or do anything else with it, when all approaches to the contact details provided are completely ignored, not to mention highly unprofessional. 

I wasn't asking for Peat's guide to the structure of and contact details for the STF, I'm already well aware of all of that waffle. Been there, done that, have the T Shirt, as should have been obvious from the OP. I was asking if anybody had ever managed to engage successfully with the STF, clearly Peat, you haven't.

I was in the Thule last night and I met four guys discussing Tennent's. It appeared quorate so I guess that's a forum that will come up with the answer  ;)

Aye, aye, but will we get the pictures of weemin back on the tinnies if da Scots get independence, dat's the important thing.

Not much being said about them either way then, which kinda tells its own story.

A council money eating (Yes, that's who funds them), occasional Newsletter (which seems to consist mostly of self praise and that of their paymaster) producer, but otherwise dormant to the public organisation. Unless anyone can say different?

Edited by Ghostrider

Not much being said about them either way then, which kinda tells its own story.

A council money eating (Yes, that's who funds them), occasional Newsletter (which seems to consist mostly of self praise and that of their paymaster) producer, but otherwise dormant to the public organisation. Unless anyone can say different?

Ghostie, there was a notice in the times advertising their AGM. Just checked and unfortunately it was at 7pm tonight in the waterlane office, so they weren't expecting a big turn out.

Had missed that one before, but see it now....after 5 mins looking for it. Cheers.

Two column centimetres of lineage Ad tucked in at the bottom of a page under two display Ads maybe earns them brownie points for minimising ad costs, but does little else for them. That's if folk buy the paper in the first place, in these days especially of most of the news going on the web as it happens, not everybody does.

It feels like a very long time since one of their "Newsletters" turned up last, as that would have been a much better advertising medium, given that its mailed to all known tenanted addresses.

Du should go alang Ghostrider. Im sure da chair and dee wid get on famously.

Nah, threesomes aren't really my kink. You seem to have quite intimate knowledge of them, and I'd hate to be gooseberry.

I reckon Wansomes is more dy thing? No?