Co-op car park is terrible

Lerwick antiques

It could be that if more folk shopped at the Co-op, they may be able to afford it. Also, if KMPG had not stiched the Co-op group up with the take over of Britania, they may be able to afford it.

There are some big changes happening with the Co-op. They will be selling their Pharmacies, mainly because the Gov extract much of the prescription charge in England and they will be selling their Farms. With a 2.5 billion loss throughout the group, they need all the help they can get. Basically, use it or lose it.

Co-op's had up and down service since long before the financial woes of the group. Some good staff, some miserable ones. Sometimes it's had runs of being clean, sometimes it has been a disgrace in places. The car park ..... ridiculous. The rusting metal cladding ..... ridiculous. The promotional posters outside often put up and then left to flap in the wind ..... pathetic. Seen the same in places I've worked down the years, some folk can organise and run things well and some can't and never will. Co-op must employ some of the latter. Still, I'm still loyal and it'll be a lot worse before I defect to the other side of town. In spite of the bad an unnecessary problems, still does the job.

And good idea, will add a suggestions in the box next time in.

Edited by DLT

I for one have always been loyal to the Co-op always went there with mother on out weekly shop when I was young before there was any other supermarket. I go to the Co-op every evening or every second evening to get fresh Sandwick bakery bread and other bit's and bobs. I take mother to Tesco every weekend but still prefer the Co-op.

Just a idea, why does the Co-op not hold afternoon carboot sales in their car park anymore? If they did hold a carboot sale once a month or that during the summer months and charged £5 or £10 for each parking space then they could take in some extra money for very little work.

• 4 weeks later...

Co-op seems determined to leave everything until it is too late. Their loss of customers to Tesco has been of epic proportions. I suspect this was because a Co-op felt that we deserved a second class shopping experience. Tesco felt otherwise and modernised our experience. Co-op has gone the same route with the car park.

I wouldn't suggest people buy their meat from Tesco though. The butcher on the street sells meat that tastes like it should. There really is no comparison.

Does anyone have any idea when the car park at co-op was last re-surfaced? As I don't think it's ever been done in the last 20 years, not that I remember anyway. It's not only the pot holes (one really bad one out-side the door) but it also looks awful with most of the white lines in the middle section being worn off. I also noted tonight that there is a square metal/iron drain grid/cover that is sticking up above the tarmac which makes a real hazard to the car tyres and any people walking around could easily trip, fall and hurt them self's on.