Petrofac outrage

Scorrie

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/8777-petrofac-apologise-for-drunken-town-antics

Hordes of blokes cooped up given day off after colleague dies.

Hordes of blokes (who have been cooped up with only their hi-vizzed chums to look at for days on end descend upon Lerwick and) get ratted.

Low level annoyance ensues.

Non event.

Edited by Scorrie

Its not the getting off there faces that's the problem its there behaviour when there out and about that's the problem there not all idiots but there's a lot off them who are, they have a no drinking rule at the gas plant so why are they silly enough to get blootered and cause so much trouble when they could be breathalysed the next day, I have a no drinking rule at my work with an instant dismissal so I don't chance it when im working the next day, Oh and by the way I was on the boat to Aberdeen this past Wedensday and the behaviour off some of these guys was absolutely pathetic they were loud mouthed and swearing at each other in the bar, an old Orkney guy said to me if Shetland and Orkney residents behaved like that they would be on there case straight away. 

Its not the getting off there faces that's the problem its there behaviour when there out and about that's the problem there not all idiots but there's a lot off them who are,

Fair comment but, would you like to try explaining how this makes them any different from some of the locals?

Party time is, Party Time wherever you go.

Also, I was on the boat a few fridays back and, I didn't notice anything untoward except that the queues for the bar and cafeteria were enormous.

I also read that one of these workers (unverified) offered a lady £200 for sex.  Last guy that did that was local and, he offered (I think) £2000.  Was a genuine offense caused or, were they just haggling over the price.... (my smileys ain't working)

Its not the getting off there faces that's the problem its there behaviour when there out and about that's the problem there not all idiots but there's a lot off them who are, they have a no drinking rule at the gas plant so why are they silly enough to get blootered and cause so much trouble when they could be breathalysed the next day, I have a no drinking rule at my work with an instant dismissal so I don't chance it when im working the next day, Oh and by the way I was on the boat to Aberdeen this past Wedensday and the behaviour off some of these guys was absolutely pathetic they were loud mouthed and swearing at each other in the bar, an old Orkney guy said to me if Shetland and Orkney residents behaved like that they would be on there case straight away. 

Believe me, they do get binned.

Petrofac are pretty ruthless if they have enough evidence to go on. Some of the clown element started kicking off up at Saxa Vord a while back. There were a few vacancies the next day....

Oh and by the way I was on the boat to Aberdeen this past Wedensday and the behaviour off some of these guys was absolutely pathetic they were loud mouthed and swearing at each other in the bar, an old Orkney guy said to me if Shetland and Orkney residents behaved like that they would be on there case straight away. 

I was on the boat in March.  I saw and heard Shetlanders in the bar in, shall we say, a rather drunken exhuberant state.  Yes, there was some swearing.  Now not everyone appreciated the noise they were making.  Some people chose to leave the bar.

It's a bar.  Language gets colourful in bars, whether at sea or on land.  Rather shocking that people get drunk after drinking alcohol, isn't it?  But where is the line drawn then?

Bar staff do intervene, irregardless of whether those who have crossed the line are local or not.  It's not just Security that are called upon.  You ain't telling me that the captain won't have been made aware as to what was going down on his vessel if things well and truly had not been contained; however, I doubt that every single drunken incident warrants the captain being advised.

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

As someone who had their door pissed on by these people I think they should all be shot but since thats not allowed any more i propose i should be allowed to piss all over them while they lie down on the ground. That goes for the locals that choose to do it on a friday and saturday night too.

oh yeah i forget.. CCTV is to crap to actually see who these people are  :evil:

Edited by Twerto

There's seems to be a general attitude on this forum that those who dare to raise an eyebrow at the, frankly, obnoxious behavior on display from some (certainly not all) of the incoming workers, are in some way being xenophobic or small-minded.

For those who perhaps don't actually see whats going on in our pubs and on the street thanks almost entirely to the influx of workers, i invite you to open your eyes. Alternatively, a few minutes chat with local landlords, or maybe door staff at posers or Da Wheel may enlighten you.

Failing that, you could ask some of the girls who are incessantly pestered by drunken guys who simply refuse to take no for an answer. To be fair, this could be more challenging; a lot of the girls I know would rather just not go out than face the intimidation.

Maybe you could talk to the lass who, when out jogging, crossed the road to avoid the inevitable cat-calling from the bus of workers that had just arrived back in Lerwick. What she didn't expect was for one of them to chase her, and 'jokingly' carry her away (despite her obvious distress) to the braying laughter of his colleagues.

It's easy to write local people's concerns off as some sort of  parochial, knee-jerk reaction to 'outsiders'. Until you've actually been out and experienced the extent to which Lerwick's nightlife has deteriorated (and, let's not kid ourselves -it was pretty dire in the first place), maybe it would be an idea to listen to the concern of the locals before dismissing them out of hand. 

You'll get no argument from me for posting that, but the Petrofac guys seem to cop for a lot of blame when it comes to acting like a bunch of Richard Heads in Lerwick and when on the ferry. I'd say the percentage of troublemakers amongst them is well down when compared to the percentage of home-grown clowns that are roaming around. But.......

If you put a large amount of guys into a small 'recreational area', then there's going to be a noticeable rise in incidents, friction with locals and each other etc. But it could be worse, you could have a couple of warships disgorging matelots ashore after a few weeks on exercise.... ;)

TBH, I've been on the ferry more than a few times and had to tolerate drunken tools from Shetland or Orkney hacking folk off. They're the same retards who get pished in airports when going on holiday, at least with Petrofac there'll be some backlash for the troublemakers if they step over the line.

I passed through Da Street last Thursday and the place was well filled with groups of the Total workers.

I already knew about the circumstances but in all honesty the atmosphere was not good.

I even heard one individual say to the others in his group "where's the f%$&ing pub then?".

It might be your average Friday or Saturday night behaviour but that is totally unacceptable for a Thursday morning in Lerwick. I remember thinking to myself that this is "some" way to show respect to a man who has just died.

Yes, Shetland has it's own "tools" too but we have to be honest and say that this behaviour and level of it is not what we are used to seeing in Shetland or on the NorthLink ferries.....

Edited by Kavi Ugl

There's seems to be a general attitude on this forum that those who dare to raise an eyebrow at the, frankly, obnoxious behavior on display from some (certainly not all) of the incoming workers, are in some way being xenophobic or small-minded.

For those who perhaps don't actually see whats going on in our pubs and on the street thanks almost entirely to the influx of workers, i invite you to open your eyes. Alternatively, a few minutes chat with local landlords, or maybe door staff at posers or Da Wheel may enlighten you.

Failing that, you could ask some of the girls who are incessantly pestered by drunken guys who simply refuse to take no for an answer. To be fair, this could be more challenging; a lot of the girls I know would rather just not go out than face the intimidation.

Maybe you could talk to the lass who, when out jogging, crossed the road to avoid the inevitable cat-calling from the bus of workers that had just arrived back in Lerwick. What she didn't expect was for one of them to chase her, and 'jokingly' carry her away (despite her obvious distress) to the braying laughter of his colleagues.

It's easy to write local people's concerns off as some sort of  parochial, knee-jerk reaction to 'outsiders'. Until you've actually been out and experienced the extent to which Lerwick's nightlife has deteriorated (and, let's not kid ourselves -it was pretty dire in the first place), maybe it would be an idea to listen to the concern of the locals before dismissing them out of hand. 

Some good points but, I wasn't accusing anyone of being xenophobic or small mided and, I wasn't dismissing the concerns 'out of hand'.  Just pointing out that we have enough idiots of our own although, they do not descend on the town by the 1000.

"Failing that, you could ask some of the girls who are incessantly pestered by drunken guys who simply refuse to take no for an answer"

Seen a few locals doing that as well but, frankly, I am surprised that there haven't been some serious 'complaints' made about it.

"Maybe you could talk to the lass who, when out jogging, crossed the road to avoid the inevitable cat-calling from the bus of workers that had just arrived back in Lerwick. What she didn't expect was for one of them to chase her, and 'jokingly' carry her away (despite her obvious distress) to the braying laughter of his colleagues"

The whole of that was totally unacceptable behaviour and, imho, it was an assault.  The police should have been called to sort it out.

I suppose that the biggest issue might be that most shetlanders act with a fair degree of 'restraint' whilst, a lot of incoming workers don't. 

As Kav Ugi pointed out.  Pretty poor way to show respect to a workmate(?) who has just died.  I would wonder why Petrofac gave them ALL the day off.?

I was on the boat in March.  I saw and heard Shetlanders in the bar in, shall we say, a rather drunken exhuberant state.  Yes, there was some swearing.  Now not everyone appreciated the noise they were making.  Some people chose to leave the bar.

It's a bar.  Language gets colourful in bars, whether at sea or on land.  Rather shocking that people get drunk after drinking alcohol, isn't it?  But where is the line drawn then?

Bar staff do intervene, irregardless of whether those who have crossed the line are local or not.  It's not just Security that are called upon.  You ain't telling me that the captain won't have been made aware as to what was going down on his vessel if things well and truly had not been contained; however, I doubt that every single drunken incident warrants the captain being advised.

Actually, it is an offense to swear in a public place.  Bit archaic but, it's true.  For &^%$£$%^  sake, we all do it....

I did some steward training a few years back and was told, in no uncertain terms, that bad language was NOT to be tolerated and, that alcohol should be refused to those that persist after being warned of it.

Never had to apply that rule but, I wonder what other trouble it would have led to if I had.

Edited by Colin