£100k for two jobs at Shetland Arts.

Whilst perusing the Shetland Times job vacancies I was appalled to learn that Shetland Arts is currently looking  to employ two new chancers  - to the combined tune of £100,000. Unbelievable.

Seriously, WTF?

I genuinely like Mareel. The bar does a mean cocktail, the music venue is pretty good and I love the cinema. Anything that can be done to improve the place is surely a good thing, right?  Well, out of interest I googled how much a manager of a substantial cinema sooth would get. That’ll be £17000.

(http://isw.changeworknow.co.uk/cineworld/vms/e/cineworld/positions/dtzTkOK9ngYyi82AWGvBzT)

In case you're interested, these are his/her duties

“As an Operations Manager, you will use your existing experience to ensure the smooth running of the cinema. This diverse role will see you completing a number of operational duties such as budgetary management and administration. In addition to this, you will be highly visible providing a superior level of customer service and leading the team to deliver an unrivalled cinema experienceâ€

Ok, perhaps the job spec I quote doesn’t demand that you be a “placemaker†(as Mr Gibbons calls himself in his LinkedIn profile), but clearly the duties described would more than cover the cinema aspect of Mareel.

So what else? Well I’d of thought that any candidate for Shetland Arts would require a modicum of artistic talent. Apparently not according to the job spec.

There’s certainly no shortage of local promoters and musicians to ensure the music side of things would get taken care of.  The front of house has a fairly friendly plethora of young hipsters who seem reasonably competent.  The café/bar has it’s faults, but it tries and I doubt some £50k ‘enabler of stakeholders’ is gonna show them how to master the hi-tech art of clearing tables/serving coffee in a timely fashion.

So what benefit to Shetland would this recruitment drive offer? This is not a rhetorical question – someone please let me know!

The absurd dichotomy between rampant austerity measures, school closures (rightly or wrongly) vs the deplorable  self-serving conduct of a  locally detached cabal of luvies, brazenly feathering their nests and having the brass-neck to claim “it’s all in the name of art† is, to my mind, so utterly abhorrent that I can scarcely believe they get way with it.

Shetland is culturally rich, but this wealth was crated by local, grass-roots artists. People who performed off their own back in country halls and local dances. People who wrote poetry, or short stories then submitted them for publication in periodicals such as Shetland Life. People who would tread the boards at da Garrison by coming along to a drama group meeting and getting involved. People who were moved by the majesty of our islands that they felt compelled to put paint to canvas and express their appreciation.  Surely it is these folk who are the real Artists in our community – not yet more ego-driven pretentious idiots, building little exclusive empires and coining it in with OUR money.

Rant over.  

Edited by Tammychoink

The ad says 'General Manager' for Shetland Arts - not a cinema manager for Mareel.

And £17k is abysmally low for a cinema manager. £22-30k is more realistic.

I know this. That's why I went on to discuss the other aspects of mareel. Same applies to Bonhoga etc - all of which to my mind would run happily along without the meddling of a "commercial driver, building sustainable income generation and growth within a dynamic social enterprise culture" (from the actual job description - Does anybody actually talk like this?)

Another well paid head-honcho is surplus to requirements.  Especially as the local authority can't even afford Meals on Wheels these days. 

Wake and smell the latte.  :razz: 

Edited by Tammychoink

I know this. That's why I went on to discuss the other aspects of mareel. Same applies to Bonhoga etc - all of which to my mind would run happily along without the meddling of a "commercial driver, building sustainable income generation and growth within a dynamic social enterprise culture" (from the actual job description - Does anybody actually talk like this?)

Another well paid head-honcho is surplus to requirements.  Especially as the local authority can't even afford Meals on Wheels these days. 

Wake and smell the latte.  :razz: 

Whooosh..........

I know business owners, not managers(?) who don't pay themselves that much....

Makes you wonder what these people must 'know' that makes them so expensive.  Otherwise I would have to conclude that they do, indeed, have their noses in the trough.