David Cameron in Shetland

Lerwick antiques

I think there was a valuable lesson for Shetland from this "double" visit - if only we'd learn it....

The lesson is centuries old;

"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"

A few 'promises' and the 'right' words to a few people who seem to 'matter' mixed in with a few 'photo ops'.   Bit like the promise to pay for the new housing needed when Sullom Voe was being built.   Dragged it out for years and, then managed to turn the promise(?) of cash into a debt(?) that we are kindly allowed to pay interest on for the next x number of years.

The only way Shetland will ever get what it wants/needs from any UK Government is to grab the moment and shut the port at Sullom Voe.

Do nothing else until there is a proper agreement in writing.....

Unfortunately, to achieve this you need local politicians with brains, balls, willpower and, little or no respect for 'authority'.  Be the solution, not part of the problem....

Scorrie, you're missing my point, and btw Norway is certainly not a "relatively minor foreign state". That's frankly an insult to Norway.

Norway is light years ahead of the UK in many regards and tbh in my opinion the UK is going backwards.

David Cameron's visit really just showed everything that is wrong with Britain and how Shetland is caught in the middle of it.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

They are damed if they do and damed if they don't. At least our prime minister took the time to get himself here, regardless of the reasons behind his visit. He obviously felt it important enough to make the effort. Is that not his job?

I'm not a conservative voter, but I'd much rather have a visit from our prime minister, who didn't offer lots of bribes, than one from the first minister, who virtually made offers, conditional on us voting for independence. You can guarantee most promises will fall through if he were to get his way.

They might have visited in different capacities but I think you only need to look at the quiet, dignified way Queen Sonja conveyed herself compared to David Cameron's "crash, bang, I'm here and now I'm gone" visit.

The front page of The Shetland Times was an embarrassment today and I know which article I read and it wasn't the one about DC...

I think there was a valuable lesson for Shetland from this "double" visit - if only we'd learn it....

The difference, Kavi, is that Queen Sonja is royalty visiting from a relatively minor foreign state and - like it or not - Cameron is the Prime Minister of this country and therefore of more interest to the majority of people in the UK.

And, like it or not, we are part of the UK.  :thmbsup

Queen Sonja is royalty visiting from a relatively minor foreign state and - like it or not - Cameron is the Prime Minister of the minor state commonly known as the UK, of which we unfortunately currently are a part, so we just have to put up with such eccentricities as he may decide are necessary. ;-)

Good news is Prity Patel MP is now in the Treasury.

In a speech to the Institute of Economic Affairs this week, Tory MP Priti Patel called for Scotland to face billions of pounds of extra cuts. The Tory MP framed her discussion as a re-calculation of the Barnet Formula, and argued that the Tories should use SNP/Labour calls for greater devolution for Scotland as a chance to change the economic settlement, or in other words cut Scottish funding. You can watch her speech from 26 minutes in the link above.

She also claimed that Scottish citizens had an annual deficit of between £6-80 billion depending on how the North Sea Oil was calculated, and that each Scottish citizen was unfairly £1,600 better off than their English counterpart. Scottish voters reading this will recognise an all too familiar pattern. The green eyes of English Tories jealous that Scottish voters have prioritised NHS & Education spending over tax cuts for millionaires. Scottish voters did not choose to spend billions on Trident, or illegal wars in Iraq. They also are not to blame for the £70-90 billion of tax evasion (and avoidance) that George Osborne refuses to clamp down on. Instead of punishing Scottish voters for the hundreds of billions of pounds wasted as a result of Tory decisions in London, Priti Patel should refocus her energies on fixing problems closer to home.

Good news is Prity Patel MP is now in the Treasury.

In a speech to the Institute of Economic Affairs this week, Tory MP Priti Patel called for Scotland to face billions of pounds of extra cuts. The Tory MP framed her discussion as a re-calculation of the Barnet Formula, and argued that the Tories should use SNP/Labour calls for greater devolution for Scotland as a chance to change the economic settlement, or in other words cut Scottish funding. You can watch her speech from 26 minutes in the link above.

She also claimed that Scottish citizens had an annual deficit of between £6-80 billion depending on how the North Sea Oil was calculated, and that each Scottish citizen was unfairly £1,600 better off than their English counterpart. Scottish voters reading this will recognise an all too familiar pattern. The green eyes of English Tories jealous that Scottish voters have prioritised NHS & Education spending over tax cuts for millionaires. Scottish voters did not choose to spend billions on Trident, or illegal wars in Iraq. They also are not to blame for the £70-90 billion of tax evasion (and avoidance) that George Osborne refuses to clamp down on. Instead of punishing Scottish voters for the hundreds of billions of pounds wasted as a result of Tory decisions in London, Priti Patel should refocus her energies on fixing problems closer to home.

Yes and David Cameron just promoted her to a junior minister position

Priti Patel (brought in)

Was not previously in government, now exchequer secretary to the Treasury

Priti Patel joins George Osborne's Treasury team as Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, replacing David Gauke, who himself is promoted to Financial Secretary. The former public relations consultant has yet to serve in government and has rebelled in the past over the issue of an EU referendum.

Oh you may be right there

Maybe, somewhere in between her assessment of Scotland's finances and Eck's spin and bull version, the actual truth about Northern Britain's fiscal security (or lack of it) lies.

Don't envy the job of sweeping aside all the weeds and chaff to find it though, whoever is lumbered with it, given the amount of it those two bullshi**ers have thrown up.

Scorrie, you're missing my point, and btw Norway is certainly not a "relatively minor foreign state". That's frankly an insult to Norway.

Norway is light years ahead of the UK in many regards and tbh in my opinion the UK is going backwards.

David Cameron's visit really just showed everything that is wrong with Britain and how Shetland is caught in the middle of it.

Sorry, Kavi, just couldn't help rattling your cage there.  :razz:

But my point still stands, Cameron is the PM of this country.