raw feeding

any raw feeders here?

I am planning to change my dogs over at the end of the month and am trying to source as much local  and varied feed stuffs as I can find. I'd be particularly interested in duck, turkey and assorted poultry. Goat would be great too or even pony, anything but pork really. Suggestions welcome.

• 8 months later...

try slaughter house must be bits not wanted. pony you would find it difficult to find. most will be pts by vet. and to be honest unless you have correct tools butchering  a pony would be mucky unpleasant work. you could buy a small flock of spent ewes for a few quid and have them slaughtered. we looked at raw meat for an old dog it would cost a lot. 

Have been raw feeding now since last summer and would never go back! Should have had the guts (pun intended) to swap over years ago, but I always mistakenly thought it would be way to complicated and expensive. In fact, it is pretty straightforward once you get your head round the basics. Thanks to the vet (you know who you are!) who gave me the push into the right direction.

I still have my feelers out for horse/ pony meat, you never know....

Local rabbit is regularly on the menu.

Slaughter house is a no-no for various reasons.

It isn't really any more expensive to feed raw, I think. Unless you compare it to feeding dogs on the cheapest supermarket kibble cr*p.....but with raw at least you know exactly what you are feeding and are fully in control. Because raw food is so highly nutritious, their systems make far better use of it. There's certainly very little waste that comes out the other end.....

Not2daythankyou, I'll pm you.

• 1 year later...

an eclectic mix of home produced, barter, local supply, whatever I find going cheap in the shops, butchers (a whole huge beef heart for ONE quid!!!) and a supplier south for green tripe.

Hi As,

I am moving to Shetland with 7 dogs who are all raw-fed (one has been born and raised on raw).... A year on from your post, I'm wondering if you still find it easy to source food? I'm concerned I won't get enough. I'm prepared to feed them some processed wet dog food (highest quality) if I need to, for 2 days a week or something. But, in a dream world, I'd like to keep them on raw as much as possible.

Thanks

I still feed mainly DIY plus a bit from south and have no problems.

With 7 dogs you might be better off ordering bulk frozen food from south and keep a large chest freezer. Nutriment and Natural Instinct deliver free to Shetland.

• 2 weeks later...

We normally use https://www.lunaandme.comfor our 3 legged collie and he loves it, but as we're yet to move up to Shetland I'm not sure how good their delivery would be. 

We tried Natural Instinct a few weeks ago as we ran out over bank holiday weekend and it just looked awful compared to the Luna and me food. 

I think I'd be somewhat concerned about receiving it if the ferry was delayed for whatever reason

Talk to Dorothy Sales at Houlls Horses and Hounds.

She is the representative for the Nutriment Raw Dog Food range. She does monthly bulk orders.

I only have experience of the treats and all I can say is that my dogs can't rate them highly enough.  I sent some to my mother for her dog as he is undergoing severe chemo and gone off all his usual food.  The Nutriment range treats are helping hugely - they are all he wants to eat and keeping him going.

Going by personal experience, feeding raw DIY really is the easiest and only buying in green tripe frozen from south. My dogs did not tolerate Nutriment plus of course Natural Instinct gets delivered straight to your door by the postie. Not sure what Mr. Bump's concern with the ferry has to do with it? I have never had a problem with a consignment, but I keep a close watch on the weather forecast before I place an order, just in case. I have ordered in the middle of winter as well as with the recent warm weather and NI consistently deliver on the dot.

"Running out of food over a bank holiday" is something you will quickly learn to avoid in Shetland. It is called keeping stock and a good supply well before your food runs out.