Shetland history

fionajohn

but the Western Isles have nothing in common with us

Unless of course, their Norse heritage, their Norse placenemes and a language smattered with norse words.

Had we attempted an alliance several hundred years ago it might have worked, but them and us have taken two very different roads for far too long, for a shared heritage that began to die 700 odds years ago on their part to still make a tangible connection.

They became Scottish over 200 year before we were forced to, by mutual agreement, and apparently whatever distaste may or may not have existed among the plebs about it at the time, they got over and have by most appearances embraced their 'Scottishness' now for a very long time. Or thats the attitude I've found to prevail among the Western Islanders who've crossed my path. We, on the other hand were dragged in to Scotland for no other reason than the shenanigans ensuing following the bed-hopping antics of some old Edinburgh toff with similar from Copenhagen, we have resented it, and resisted the attempts to be 'Scottified' ever since.

In a more present context, we rapidly shook off the shackles of the church dictating the rules for just about every aspect of our society a hundred or so years ago, they went in the opposite direction with their 'wee frees', who still call the shots there with many things even in the present.

Like I said, we have common ground as islanders, but really nothing else with meaningful note to the present and future. I just can't see 'island living' in an off itself as anything to base an alliance on, when our attitude and culture are now so far apart.

I've just glanced over the Shetland News article about Nicola Sturgeon's visit today.

STILL she/they persist is refering to Shetland/Orkney as "Scotland's Islands".  No we're not. 

Even Radio Shetland have deliberately and persistantly used the phrase "Scotland's three island groups", but then that's no surprise because most nights it's more a case of "Good Evening Scotland" rather than "Good Evening Shetland". 

I'm torn between going with Stuart Hill's argument that the Referendum is illegal in Shetland and not voting.

But, I also don't want the Nats winning the vote because people like me didn't vote.......

I'm thinking though, that if Shetland could just vote No then it sends the message that we want nothing to do with it and gives us the grounds for an alternative road.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

But, I also don't want the Nats winning the vote because people like me didn't vote.......

I'm thinking though, that if Shetland could just vote No then it sends the message that we want nothing to do with it and gives us the grounds for an alternative road.

That's pretty much where I'm at too. Regardless whether its legal or not, the result will stand as legal until proven otherwise, and I'd rather make my voice heard and make a difference now than get hung up on a point of principle. I can see where Calamity is coming from, but as I see it his stance is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. What he's advocating is still unproven, may never be proven, and may be disproven, in which case following his advice runs the risk of throwing away your opportunity to have a say on an issue that may well stand as legitimate. I don't buy the argument that acknowledging and participating in the referendum is to accept and endorse any Scots claim over Shetland, rather its using whatever means are at your disposal at any given time to reject any such claims by telling them you have no interest in their huffing, puffing and posturing.

Scotland can do whatever they like, I really don't care, as I don't see it as any business of mine, however I do not want to see Shetland dragged along with them in to whatever schemes and ploys they have planned, and see any opportunity to state that opinion is a valid avenue to use to do so.

Edited by Ghostrider

To misquote Wellington: "it is going to be a close run thing".

Not voting on principal will do nothing to enhance Shetlands status and could easily play into the opposing camps hands as I reckon there's going to be no massive majority in this referendum. Get your 'X' in the box.

Personally I find this whole Nordic shtick a bit daft. What percentage of  Shetlanders have actually been to Norway? Our historical ties are reminiscent of Scotland's Auld Alliance with the French... fairly inconsequential in the modern age. 

You may not like it, but we are part of Scotland. Our police force, as I recall, are the Highlands and Islands constabulary, our health service is the Scottish NHS, we share the same school system, the local college is is part of the University of the Highlands and Islands... etc etc.

Are some of you seriously proposing that, in the event of a referendum win for the nationalists, we opt out and remain some lone bastion of the UK?

Edited by Horns 'O' Da Geo

Are some of you seriously proposing that, in the event of a referendum win for the nationalists, we opt out and remain some lone bastion of the UK?

Yup. Or at least that's one option on the table.

I can think of nothing worse than being told what to do and think by a bunch of Scots pseudo-Commies, which is what an independent Scotland will be.

If Shetland doesn't ditch Scotland on way or another in the event of Scottish independence, I'm ditching Shetland.

It's all "promises, promises" but even what's being "promised" amounts to zilch.

The reality is, if they win a Yes vote the power will go straight to their heads and it'll be an iron fist rule.

"We have the power, and you don't have the guts to do anything about it".

I'd love to know what's said about Shetland behind the closed doors of Holyrood......

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Personally I find this whole Nordic shtick a bit daft. What percentage of  Shetlanders have actually been to Norway? Our historical ties are reminiscent of Scotland's Auld Alliance with the French... fairly inconsequential in the modern age. 

You may not like it, but we are part of Scotland. Our police force, as I recall, are the Highlands and Islands constabulary, our health service is the Scottish NHS, we share the same school system, the local college is is part of the University of the Highlands and Islands... etc etc.

Totally agree with Horns 'O' Da Geo. Frankly, I am fed up of Shetlanders who want to be 'Scottish' when it suits, then want to be  Norse, and now some want to be Independent !  What a joke !!  As someone born in Scotland, with a partly Shetland heritage, but very proud to be Scottish, I think that anyone who doesn't want to be linked to Scotland should not be allowed to vote at all !  Still, too late for that, I fear. However it really rankles (a guid Scottish word), that the SNP had the bare faced audacity to give the vote to a group of school-aged kids, who thereafter will be unable to vote until age 18, and then the potentially disastrous consequences of people voting who do not even want to be considered a part of Scotland. Considering that there are 6,500 Scottish citizens, of legitimate voting age, currently in jail, who are being denied the vote, despite the fact that it will affect their future when they are released, the whole thing has become one big farce, yet it is called DEMOCRACY !! One thing's for sure, the SNP have had to resort to some pretty desperate measures to try to assure a YES vote......let's hope for Scotland's sake, it's a resounding NO, NO, NO !!!

^ I can't recall ever having wanted to be either "Scottish" or "Norse", simply "British" as I've always been has done me fine, and I see no need to change that. Being "Scottish" to me is irrelevant and just add an un-necessary tier to the totem. Shetlander first, British second, simples. I have no problem with not being allowed to vote in the referendum, if in turn any independent Scottish nation which may result from that same vote has no hold or jurisdiction over me an mine. If they want to make some kind of "nation" of those who feel "Scottish" and they vote to create one, that's fine as long as it only affects them and their's, not when they are doing their damndest to drag the rest of us along with them because of where we stay, just because they want everybody and everything north of Hadrian's wall to be all one big happy family.

I will agree with you on one thing though, whatever the outcome of all this, the antics and stunts the SNP have pulled to try and get their own way has done a whole lot more to damage the chances of independence being achieved, and the image of Scots and Scotland than the entire efforts of the anti supporters have.

Edited by Ghostrider

I was quite heartened by this peerie piece of film.

Both people interviewed showed a healthy level of sceptism towards Scotland, support for Shetland and a wish for more powers for Shetland.

I did smile when the woman said in relation to why so many politicians were visiting Shetland "because they're worried about the Shetland vote".  Indeed....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28956405

Meanwhile, I see the "same old faces" at the opening of a Yes office in Harbour Street......

Edited by Kavi Ugl

but the Western Isles have nothing in common with us

Unless of course, their Norse heritage, their Norse placenemes and a language smattered with norse words.

Through the wonder of Twitter this map happened to appear on my computer showing the distribution of Norse dialects.

https://twitter.com/Viking_Facts/status/504508327037247489/photo/1