New Undercover Pitch

Kavi Ugl

The irony? of having money for a super dooper astro turf dome, but not enough to keep a dinky little wooden hut crapper next door open, is well noted.

.....You must play fitba all year round, come hell or high water....but bring your ain piss pot and hippin.

Edited by Ghostrider

Seeing too why so many places out in the boonies need to have their streetlights switched off all night - its the only way they can afford to floodlight a place that size during the darkest part of the year.

Typical council double dealing too, the new school price tab is coming in as high as attract criticism, sooooo, don't include a PE hall in the costing, then give an unspecified grant to an arms length trust to build and run it for you, in the hope the public are too dumb to notice they've just added a significant extra cost to the school build, but we ain't that thick.

Confess I think the idea is good both for the school and the rest of Shetland ... 

HOW?  WHY?

I'm sure the indoor bowling brigade don't hold the same opinion, given it means they lose most of that particular facility according to posts on Failbook.

How?  Why?  This is a new building so should not cause problems for other Clickimin users other that whatever alterations had been planned to benefit the school.  But all weather (almost) facilities have to be good for the school kids and evenings and weekend could be a great asset for other users.  Just think of indoor cricket played in the new building.

This is new building its a 2 million sports feature for the anderson. they will be next to a large sports facility no need for it. according to the education folks they cant afford pencils.  anyway do you really want to play rugby on astro turf. is it high enough for the goals. the  horsey community would love one to. any chance.

Confess I think the idea is good both for the school and the rest of Shetland.....

That may or may not be the case, but to me isn't really the point. In a nutshell, its a luxury we can't afford right now. There are no end of much better places the council could be putting their cut of the cost, never mind the future costs it will incur, if they really have the cash available.

Well there is another way of looking at it.

The new AHS does need facilties for sports. Sport Scotland provide grants to help fund facilities that provide sports to the community. It's not an entirely crazy idea to seperate the PE building from the school build so they can get a substantial grant to help build it. The other advantage to doing it this way is that they can charge all the local sports groups who want to use it a fee. Plenty of the synthetic pitches here on the mainland are funded in this way. You've got to weigh up the cost of the PE hall as part of the new high school against the cost of a hall funded partially by Sport Scotland, if they've done their homework overall the SIC will be no worse off and will have a way of bringing in revenue where they might not have been able to before.

If the new school was building a sports hall as part of their building, very few people would question it, as most people would accept a school needs a sports hall. The cost of building a sports hall onto the school would cost the education department a considerably more money than the proposal being suggested. The other issue is space on the site, the additional cost of digging out the Staney hill to fit a large sports hall is a non starter.

Using Clickimin is a sensible solution, it reduces the costs to the council, as compared to building its own sports hall. The issue then for Clickimin is available space for its current regular bookings and users.

The proposal of a covered outdoor area is likely the easiest and cheapest solution, it creates a good space for the school to use all year round along with the bonus of being hired out to the public and groups in the evenings, weekends and during all holidays.

I would assume the charges taken will meet the running and maintenance costs.

Common sense tells me this is the best option for Clickimin, the new school and the various groups who will make good use of it. The idea and costs involved in the new school having its own separate gym hall would be many times the cost of this facility and would not offer the access this can.

My only reservation has to be the quality of the building and its ability withstand Shetland weather, but the Recreational Trust have considerable experience in building facilities, so I can only ensure that they have done thier homework.