Chinese/Mandarin in Shetland Schools.

Kavi Ugl

Personally I find the racism argument a little weak on this one, it's not racism it's more xenophobia. I don't think those who fear the influence of incomers is as bothered about their skin colour, white, black, asian or Orcadian doesn't bother them it's just they're not a Shetlander.

The Minister for promoting Norway doesn't strike me as racist but he does strike me as a tad reluctant to accept incoming people particularly when they have an impact on his vision for the isles.

It's a weak argument.

I'm a Scot with a "cut glass" English accent - I'm sure there are those who view me with suspicion - I don't notice - but I will tell you this.

Shetland HAS changed. 30 years ago someone with different coloured skin WAS stared at in the street, for those of you who never left you may not have noticed - but for me it's an extremely pleasant change to see.

It's very "Guardian reader" like to sneer at Shetlanders as a whole for making the odd "cheese-eating surrender monkey" quip - and I loved the description of Gauloise - can we not have a chuckle at cultural differences? "Vive la difference" after all... 

I suppose the point being made here is "what is a racist comment".

Never been inclined towards open racism myself but, I have to admit to making quite a lot of 'colourful' comments that would be construed as racist in some quarters.  However, that does not mean (to me anyway) that I am a racist.....

I just don't understand why we cannot openly acknowledge the differences that come with race and ethnicity and, then get on with life.

Just a pity that some idiot used the ST website to broadcast his own 'ultra PC' view of things..

My daughter is at Bejing University, Běidà 北大, learning Mandarin. She is in her second year.

When I was asked by someone in Shetland about her future,  I was told "what use is that to her in Shetland?"

All I can think that two years of one-a-week Mandarin classes will produce absolutely nothing.  This is not an easy language to learn.  It bears no relevance to any language learned in the western world.  One word can have five meanings depending on the intonation.  

Personally, I would think music lessons would be a fine way to use the money but it is coming out of a different purse, so there is no say in this.

My daughter is at Bejing University, Běidà 北大, learning Mandarin. She is in her second year.

When I was asked by someone in Shetland about her future,  I was told "what use is that to her in Shetland?"

Insular mindsets.  

And folk are puzzled when the young 'uns say they want to head South.......