Driving in Shetland

Outdoor69

First thing Scorrie I drive at a steady 60mph I believe that is the speed limit unless I'm stuck behind someone going slowly if I can I overtake if safe to do so  .As for taking a bus the times I travel to work there are no buses so I have to drive I don't have any option.

Rather than "believe" what the speed limit is, you should "know" what the limit is.  You should also "know" that it is the maximum permitted on some roads and that it is lower on others.

Having said that, you should always drive according to the prevailing conditions and not just rumble along at 60 mph because "that is the limit".

I'm beginning to think that you just might be part of the problem and, not the solution....

My other pet hate is:

People who drive at 40 - 45 in a 60 area and when you eventually see a clear stretch and signal to pass them they speed up as you get along side and you then have to decide whether its safer to fall back again or go over the speed limit to get past them. Having decided it was safer to fall back, they slow down to 40 again, holding up a pile of traffic.

My other pet hate is:

People who drive at 40 - 45 in a 60 area and when you eventually see a clear stretch and signal to pass them they speed up as you get along side and you then have to decide whether its safer to fall back again or go over the speed limit to get past them. Having decided it was safer to fall back, they slow down to 40 again, holding up a pile of traffic.

Seen more than a few of those "King's of the Road"... 

What used to irritate me more than a little were slow moving HGV's that would pull out of a junction ahead of me (when there wasn't really enough room) and then 'trundle' along up hill at a snail's pace.

The junction at the foot of the Gremista hill is a bad place for that whichever direction you are travelling in..

All it takes is 10-20 seconds of patience on the drivers part...

Made me wonder just how they got a licence..

My other pet hate is:

What used to irritate me more than a little were slow moving HGV's that would pull out of a junction ahead of me (when there wasn't really enough room) and then 'trundle' along up hill at a snail's pace.

The junction at the foot of the Gremista hill is a bad place for that whichever direction you are travelling in..

same as you passed a test

My other pet hate is:

HGV's speed limit is 40mph so the "snails pace" is the law!

Sometimes you have someone in the vehicle that wants to enjoy the beautiful scenery,possibly the driver also wants to do that.

Might be a visitor,or possibly out for a relaxing drive.on holiday that kind of thing 

Can you do that driveing at speed !

Best to just take your time,better late than never.

My other pet hate is:

yeh i agree all it takes is for you to be patient for 10-20 seconds being behind them then when you get to the three lanes you can happily overtake them, after all even if they are travelling at well below the limit up the hill you wont lose much time at all

yeh i agree all it takes is for you to be patient for 10-20 seconds being behind them then when you get to the three lanes you can happily overtake them, after all even if they are travelling at well below the limit up the hill you wont lose much time at all

You missed the point entirely.....

After braking and falling in behind (along with a whole lot of other vehicles) I would have no option other than to be patient.

The point I was making was that the HGV driver should not have pulled out at all but, he should have been patient unless, of course, he wanted to cause a problem for other road users.

FWIW;

I recently saw a large articulated vehicle pull out of that junction in front of a fire engine on a 'blue light' call.  Should the fire engine driver be patient as well?

I can't believe how many drivers I saw without dipped headlights on today.  It seems folk just don't get it.

Why can't the Police do a safety awareness stop at Lochside some day?.

I see a road safety video on the Faroese news tonight but I hope we've not reached this "dumbed down" level!.

http://aktuelt.fo/v-1-video+god+rad+til+vetrarkoyring.video

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Fairly shocked with the standard of driving I saw last night.  I was followed north out of Lerwick at around 6pm by 2 cars while travelling at around 60mph, as I slowed for the junction at Tingwall the car at the back decided to overtake both of us through the crosshatched area, then as he pulled out the car immediately behind me did the same without looking to see if it was clear.

Already fairly shocked by this I was shocked again to see that I was now being overtaken by both cars at once, one on the crosshatched area and the other on the opposite side of the road.

Never mind how do these people pass their driving tests, how do they even survive?

you could get long thin spiky blades on each wheel like in the film grease to cut through their tyres so they dont mess with you again or you could get a blue light like in the american cop films and when things like this happen you could whip it on your roof and pretend to be the law and go neeeee naw neeee naw neeee naw neeee naw or you could get a flying car like chitty chitty bang bang and take to the skies with a self satisfactory grin on your chops or you could just get the bus home and stop moaning !