Driving in Shetland

Outdoor69

Last night's commute home included...

Showing this video to work colleagues, and they all think I should pass it to the police. To quote one workmate "If you don't and this guy does the same tomorrow and kills someone you will regret not telling the police". He may have a point, this was insane driving. But I will still have to think about it - was never my intention to use dash-cam 'like a policeman'.

However, evidence is all there - 15 seconds in you can clearly read the number plate, 45 seconds in the dangerous driving begins.

Wow! A few seconds later, he would have met all those cars head on. I've never seen someone overtaking for such a distance on corners where he/she could not have seen what was coming. What a twatt. Very dangerous and stupid. whoever was driving shouldn't be behind a wheel. They are an accident waiting to happen.

personally i feel you have no other option but to inform the police and show them the video.  This driver was lucky he/she didnt cause an accident.. next time he/she may not be so lucky and chances are he/she will end up either killing themselfs or even worse someone else.

Yes, I have mixed feelings about this.

The man/woman in the black pick-up wasn't doing themselves any favours but it looks like the silver car was being irresponsible too, even as is suggested was speeding up to prevent the black pick-up passing.

The silver car should have acknowledged the dangerous situation, done the right thing and slowed down enough for the black pick-up to pass.

Difficult to tell if the silver car sped up or if the black pickup just didn't have the power to get past. In my book the black pickup, should have realised his manuover was dangerous and eased off and pulled back in behind.

Knowing the bit of road, I doubt the pickup had a clear view of the road ahead. Just watch the recording car as he reaches the same point and you can't see round the corner.

The trouble with suggesting the black pickup should have aborted the overtake is if anyone is fool enough to boot it to try and stop someone whose already pulled out to pass them, they're also highly likely to be fool enough to drive slower, and slower, and slower, and slower, once you've fallen back behind them to tempt you to try and overtake them again, so that they can repeat pulling away hard just as you do, ad infinitum, or until they're tired of playing their little game. Its a modern day jousting match with folk like that, you either persist and take them on the first attempt, or accept you're going to have to spend the next however many miles toodling along at 40 with an ever increasing tilback behind you.

The trouble with suggesting the black pickup should have aborted the overtake is if anyone is fool enough to boot it to try and stop someone whose already pulled out to pass them, they're also highly likely to be fool enough to drive slower, and slower, and slower, and slower, once you've fallen back behind them to tempt you to try and overtake them again, so that they can repeat pulling away hard just as you do, ad infinitum, or until they're tired of playing their little game. Its a modern day jousting match with folk like that, you either persist and take them on the first attempt, or accept you're going to have to spend the next however many miles toodling along at 40 with an ever increasing tilback behind you.

Mostly agree with you ghostie, if it was on a straight bit if road, but it does look like he could not see round a corner, so pretty dangerous to keep going just to safe face.

Seems like the speed might be "relative" in so much as the filming(?) vehicle might have slowed down a little in order to avoid becoming involved in an accident.

However, if what others have suggested that the vehicle might have been "speed limited", I think that the driver was "stupid" to try and overtake anyway and, if it is correct that the vehicle being overtaken increased it's speed instead of decreasing it, then, that was also "stupid"

Hard to say really but, both drivers need a quite severe "talking to" and, both need some testosterone removed.

Congratulations for recording this video and bringing this dangerous driving for all to see.

I know this piece of road very well and certainly would not be overtaking at this particular location.

There is no excuses this was very bad driveing which could have had serious consequences had it been a few moments later

What time was saved by this overtaking manoeuvre would have been no more than probably a few seconds,definately not worth risking life and limb for.

To clarify the events, and fill in details you couldn't see on the video.

1. The black pick-up did appear to be restricted to 65mph - it was struggling to get by me, and I had to ease off the accelerator to let him past.

2. I did ease off again as I saw him continue his next overtake manoeuvre, as a precaution to the possible head on collisions in front of me. 

I'm still unsure about reporting this to the police, what involvement would be expected from me? Nothing "happened" to me. I have no grounds to press any charges.