Driving in Shetland

Outdoor69

As a professional driver I know perfectly well what flashing lights mean. :thmbsup and the highway code,.

If anyone has noticed when passing the 20mph flashing amber warnings outside the schools,as you get nearer to them they can appear to go out .

A similar thing happens to "some" cars with led lights and could be confusing with one thinking that a driver is flashing at them when in fact they are not.but just going over an uneven piece of road.

Its all to do with the width of the beam I think.

Possibly i am the only one who has noticed this,but I doubt it.

With many motorists being friendly and giving a flick of the lights  it would be easy as I nearly did and  innocently pull out thinking they are giving way to you..

• 2 months later...

Would it be possible for the DVSA ( Driver &Vehicle Standards Agency) to share the use of Tingwall Airport, now that they will lose the AHS site.

A little bit of extra income towards the running of this airport might be enough to ward of its "possible" closure.

Then again there is a fine unused airport in Unst that would surely suffice but a long inconvenient way to go .

The only thing that someone "flicking" their lights at me indicates is that their lights are working. Until someone comes up with driving standard of morse code, I'm always a bit cautious of putting my trust in someone else's judgement on what's safe  :ponders: though I take your point. Mind you, if beams get any brighter, I'm pretty sure we can do away with our remaining lighthouses  :rofl:

As a professional driver I know perfectly well what flashing lights mean. :thmbsup and the highway code,.

If anyone has noticed when passing the 20mph flashing amber warnings outside the schools,as you get nearer to them they can appear to go out .

A similar thing happens to "some" cars with led lights and could be confusing with one thinking that a driver is flashing at them when in fact they are not.but just going over an uneven piece of road.

Its all to do with the width of the beam I think.

Possibly i am the only one who has noticed this,but I doubt it.

With many motorists being friendly and giving a flick of the lights  it would be easy as I nearly did and  innocently pull out thinking they are giving way to you..

• 10 months later...

So will drivers soon have to pay to take the car to work ?

I see deserted car parks and everyone vying for a parking space wherever they can find one,consequentially causing more problems in the already busy streets and roads, should this come into force.

So No Parking  on the Greens  (thanks to the green party support) 

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47089134

• 6 months later...

The use of mobile phones is once again under observation,it appears that the use of handsfree devices are just as dangerous and might also be banned .

Wonder how they will be able to "police " this with all modern vehicles now being supplied fitted with the latest hands free gagets available.voice control,bluetooth touch button ,and all that .

I have no doubt that the use of the phone even handsfree is a distraction to driveing but in the modern vehicles there are many other "gizmos" that are just as distracting

There was a discussion on this on BBC Radio yesterday but I was unable to listen to it all .

Just another humbug for us drivers.

Strange how all those in authority have stood back and watched the "boffins" develop all this ingenious handsfree equipment and only starting to complain about it now.

Will be difficult for car manufactures to remove / disable this equipment and who will bear the cost , but doubt if it will come to this as to many people in high places driving about in fancy cars that already have all those facilities and they will not want it altered or removed.

I do accept that anything that distracts a driver is a problem but experience helps.

Yet, not a day goes by that I do not see at least 2/3 people driving along with phones held to their heads. 

Some are "repeat offenders" who should be fairly easy to "pick up" as well as it would appear that they cannot "live" without their phones.

What about taking their phones off them as part of the "punishment" ?