The Politics of Youth

Njugle

(Did you see what i did there, with the title...... :oops: sorry)

Anyway, from www.shetland-news.co.uk

Young politicos take the stage

Issues such as free public transport for young people, the abolition for prescription charges for young people, student loans, the lowering of the age of sexual consent could all feature in the manifesto.

Anybody care to grasp the nettle?

Free Transport

Isn't that what parents are for?

Free Prescriptions

Haven't seen a doctor in many years so I'm not quite sure but aren't prescriptions free to people under 16 or in full time education?

Abolish (presumably) Student Loans

Better in my opinion to raise the level of grant/bursary etc. Most students will go on to a better paid job and should be realise that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Lower the age of consent ?

Why? I know that kids 'mature' earlier than they did 'when I were a lad' but as far as I can see, it's mostly physical. Mentally, at 16, most are still 'kids' and (in my humble opinion) need what little protection the current laws offer.

Why is it that today's youth want everything for nothing and want it now...

There you go. That should start at least 3 good arguments.

Ah, to be a teenager. You start out as a communist and then end up somewhere in the middle by the time the mortgage begins to bite (or so I've heard).

I'm pretty cynical about most things, and politicians trying to engage youth has always left a funny taste in my mouth. To be honest, and I know this is gonna sound bad, but the average young teenagers political opinions are invariably ill-formed and naïve: “legalize drugs! there should be no tax, big brother should replace channel 4 news and crazy frog ringtones should be free to all…etcâ€.

Seen and not heard until 18 I say!

;-)

I work in youth services, and there a lot of good points raised. We have become obsessed my childrens rights, and the young. Lets not forget about the old - help the aged I say.

Hear! Hear!.... and remember, that to anyone under 18, everyone over 20 is "old" and "aged", sooo, that makes an awful lot of us, and not such a lot of them. I think they're outvoted, let democracy take it course. :wink:

So how does the manifesto for the genuinely aged read?

Free prescriptions, erm, thanks very much,

Free public Transport, erm thanks again, the off-isle transport was a nice touch by the way

Abolish Student Loans and give them nothing they haven't earned, and get their hair cut!

Raise the age of consent, bloody right, so we can all still get some 'good stuff ' at eighty or more, no more non-consents for the aged!

:P

:oops:

(What a scary thought,)

Anywy, why should young people get free transport? I don't get that.

(Did you see what i did there, with the title...... :oops: sorry)

Anyway, from www.shetland-news.co.uk

Young politicos take the stage

Issues such as free public transport for young people, the abolition for prescription charges for young people, student loans, the lowering of the age of sexual consent could all feature in the manifesto.

Anybody care to grasp the nettle?

I used to be in Youth Voice and from what I can remember (Which is not alot) instead of wanting free transport and the likes we concentrated on things such as better access to sports and health faccilities and also more alchohol free gigs with transport provided (Which the children themselves would pay for)

Personally I think what they are asking for is crazy, they are aiming for things which they are never going to get and don't really need.

Also, lowering the age of consent? Most 16 yearolds are not even physically or even mentally matured. Most are still children, let alone 14 and 15 year olds. And say hello to many more STDs circling around, and babies.