Voe Knife Incident

BigMouth

apart from drink driving most assualts are drink related. theft is roughly 50/50.  obviously if you import loads of single young men for whatever reason they will commit more crime than a settled person. but it does not make them more of a risk. i would say if they feel settled then they are local. a lot of crime is caused by repeat offenders. even most of them will reform themselves as they become older.  kavi i hope your not suggesting locals dont do crime.

Kavi.

Are you saying that all those on the list are recent incomers/furriners - based solely upon what their surname is? 

More or less, yes. 

And, no, I'm not saying that native folk don't commit crime.

What I'm saying is that Shetland seems to attract a lot of people who just end up causing trouble.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

youngmen yes but then can we say that the drinking culture up here has a lot to blame. just look at last weeks court cases nearly all were related to drinking. the fact that youngmen and some not so young need to be smashed out of there heads to have fun is an issue. 

Well some folk can handle drink and some folk can't. Shetland's biggest problem with drink is getting it into the younger generations heads that they don't have to start at 14 and it isn't a requirement for attending social events. I'm no hypocrit I drank underage but it never took a grip of me like it did some of my contemporaries and I knew when to stop. Best thing that could happen to the isles is responsible adults start behaving responsibly and stop bairns drinking until an age that a grain of with might have taken seed. The unfortunate thing is plenty of underage drinkers are doing with their folks consent and that's alright if their monitoring it and stopping someone chugging a litre of vodka.

On the original topic It's fair to say anyone heading down the pub should leave their blade at home or in their vehicle so it doesn't become a temptation to be drawn if fisticuffs ensue over an argument about who gets to order their baked tattie and cheese first. Like the OP I also carry a blade, short enough to be legal but I'm sure if stopped by John Law they'd be asking questions for why I have it (cutting string when setting stuff out if folks must know). I learned my knife skills in the Cubs of all places and having to behave responsibly with a blade meant I got a lovely badge for my efforts.

Kavi.

Are you saying that all those on the list are recent incomers/furriners - based solely upon what their surname is? 

More or less, yes........

I call bullpoop, Kavi.

I'm certainly not going to drag people's names in to this, but I found it amusing that I know one of the guys on the list (who doesn't have a surname that meets with your ideal of ethnic purity) is definitely a born and bred Shetlander.

And you actually quoted one case with someone with a very, very, local name.............

Still, hey ho. 

Come on Scorrie.  You found 2 names out of quite a long list and you want to use that to justify your position?

Maybe there are more than two in there but, I'm inclined to think that, generally speaking, quite a high number of local court cases appear to revolve around 'incomers' who seem to be here for 'no good reason' (not working, chemical dependencies etc.) other than to 'milk the system' in the 'land of milk and honey'.

Well, if someone can be selective when applying blame, then so can I.  :thmbsup

To me, it's all just narrow-minded pish. I could put forward the argument that was referred to earlier on: That many of these incidents would be off the court radar a few years ago as they would be resolved with a swift knuckle sarnie. Or, sadly, in the case of domestic violence simply covered up and 'ignored' and 'accepted' by those involved and their immediate community.

The one point I will concede is that drug-related crime is a relatively new phenomenon - and that is definitely a Sooth-Mooth imported problem. But I wonder how much alcohol related crime was going unreported in the Isles back in the halcyon days when 'Soothies' weren't allegedly coming here and sullying the idyllic lifestyle of 100% peaceful, law-abiding, non-judgemental local poluation with their jive music and beatnik haircuts?

:mrgreen:

we need to examine the news from the 1950s-early 1970s to see what crime was like then

http://www.shetland-museum.org.uk/downloads/data/unkans/Unkans_no33.pdf

a bit earlier but still violence

Judicial Declaration by Robert Aitken (16), junior, unmarried, son of and residing with Robert Aitken senior, for theft (now admitting to the crime). Date 15 January 1861

Judicial Declaration by Magnus Sinclair, (20), unmarried, labourer, 10 Fox Lane, Lerwick, for theft (now admits to the crime).2 January 1882

Judicial Declaration by Peter Johnston, (18), unmarried, Freefield, Lerwick, for theft, (now admits to the crime).2 January 1882

Report concerning breach of Prevention of Crime Act 1871 by Charles M. Anderson, stoneware merchant, Lerwick, after purchasing goods from John Gourock or Gordon.29 December 1887

Report against Samuel Anderson, of no fixed residence, for Assault on Kate Clark, Lower Lochside, Lerwick. Accused has been previously convicted of similar crime.13 October 1903

Letter by Thomas Robertson, Stove: 'The awfull crime of theft has arisin to such a height here, as renders it intolerable to be borne'.30 May 1838

'Prosecutions under Yell Sheep Dipping Order 1913' (fine of £5 against David Moar was out of proportion to his crime

i wonder if we could see a modern day translation of the 1604 law book refered to.may make interesting reading  

Edited by paulb