Poverty in Shetland

angelpie

i do have sympathy to those addicted yes it's their own blame that they started down that path but once hooked it is not so easy to stop even with the help available.

i in this day and age NO=ONE should have to go to a food bank to survive  how many people on here could last if they were 5 or 10mins late for work ( perhaps because the bus was late) and was told no wages for 10 weeks or more i couldn't 

• 2 weeks later...

^ Dunno about any other part of "the system", but it seems you have to sell yourself as "the victim" to even be made aware a foodbank exists, as the DWP don't even mention any kind of alternative might be available even when they know someone has no income, has had no income for some time and have lived on their savings until they've run out.

The whole thing comes off sounding true to form for anything that the DWP/SIC Welfare Office are the gatekeepers - half of those most in need don't get, and half of those who do have no justifiable right to it. Depends on whether your face fits, and you're willing to sell your soul, self-respect and dignity, or not.

Not sure how true that always is. It was the first thing that was mentioned when a mate of mine had his disability claim mucked up. Maybe that is easier than fixing their mistake. He was deserving and needed it but didn't take it. Unlike the other chappie I mentioned who seems to get foodparcels just by asking for them. He works and has money so no DWP input.

I am a bit narked about it because when the drive was on at Tescos I gave them a lot of food hoping it would have gone to somebody deserving.