Researching Medals - Advice

peter.l

Researching and replacing my grandfathers lost army medals. The medals are engraved with name, rank, number and unit around the rim and need to make sure I have the right details before ordering replacements.
I have his medal record card. All I need now is his military/enlistment record which should be on "Ancestry" website. This is a one off search and not happy about handing over debit card numbers not knowing if they have what I want, or paying for something that's not there. They have a 14-day free search offer but still require a card number.
Has anyone had any experience with Ancestry? How 'Free' is their free offer? There's always too many one sided terms and condition for my liking.

Peter

I have used Ancestry.com with great results but that was for my family tree which I did as a project in the wee small hours during one long winter.

The forums (fora?) are useful and full of knowledge.

One thing, though, when I was using it the 1911 Census (which is very useful) was only available for more money which did annoy me.

Things might've changed since then as that was a few years back.

Also, things Scottish are much harder to find as much of their Births, marriages, deaths, etc are not on public digital record.

Good luck!

I orginally intended to wear my grandfathers medals on the right side of my blazer at Remembrance Day Parades but now find the practice is frowned upon. No matter. I would still like to get replacements to complete a display of three generations of medals. The medal record card I got from National Archives was not my grandfather as first though. Some new info has tunrned up so there's hope yet