Shetland Home Company

Sukibind

you could argue that about all charities. but the world would be a much sadder place without them.

but im sure its a bit unfair to label copes staff of such a charge. when ive been near a cope store of any kind i see folks enjoying there work, its not often i see that in normal workers. if that requires staff to be employed i really dont care. much better for the clients supported workers to be out and working/learning than stuck at home.

its sad the government are making it harder for people with serious learning disabilities to work.   

"our larger employers could consider work placements tesco, coop and the council could easily provide places."

I could be wrong but, I believe that there is a legal requirement for larger employers to engage a certain percentage of disabled/handicapped people but, like everything else, fitting the right ones into the appropriate niche is the problem.

That requirement was abolished in 1995.

"our larger employers could consider work placements tesco, coop and the council could easily provide places."

I could be wrong but, I believe that there is a legal requirement for larger employers to engage a certain percentage of disabled/handicapped people but, like everything else, fitting the right ones into the appropriate niche is the problem.

That requirement was abolished in 1995.

Thanks..

That's just it! You have no wisdom. Your just empty headed bigots. If you had wisdom you would recognise the good that COPE does, and the help it gives to adults with learning difficulties. There is nothing else out there, those people who have money. and influence are not interested in helping, they just live in their ivory towers.

The people who work at COPE are hardworking people, who earn just above the minimum wage and do it for the love of the job and the clients.

What I suggest, instead of trying to undermine the good that's being done, is spend a day there volunteering, and then see if you come away with the same point of view, I guarantee you wont. I know because I was that man!!

Well never been in the place but as guided had a wee look at the facebook page bit strange really second hand metal futon 50 quid googled found brand new for 75 then fairly substantial unit 99 which looked really quite expensive then onto a couple of little chests of drawers heavily damaged 30 and 40 so seems their pricing is a bit all over the place

That's just it! You have no wisdom. Your just empty headed bigots. If you had wisdom you would recognise the good that COPE does, and the help it gives to adults with learning difficulties. There is nothing else out there, those people who have money. and influence are not interested in helping, they just live in their ivory towers.

The people who work at COPE are hardworking people, who earn just above the minimum wage and do it for the love of the job and the clients.

What I suggest, instead of trying to undermine the good that's being done, is spend a day there volunteering, and then see if you come away with the same point of view, I guarantee you wont. I know because I was that man!!

Recent job position advertised was for a Team Leader at £10.20ph - that's hardly what I'd call "just above the minimum wage".

Another thing, according to their website (currently under construction), "Cope Ltd is a charity and social enterprise which provides employment and employment skill development for adults with disabilities".

Their entries on OSCR though state:-

"Purposes:
The prevention or relief of poverty,The advancement of education,The advancement of health,The advancement of citizenship or community development,The advancement of environmental protection or improvement,The relief of those in need by reason of age, ill health, disability, financial hardship or other disadvantage
Beneficiaries:

People with disabilities or health problems,Other charities / voluntary bodies 

Objectives

3.1 .I The relief of poverty and distress of adults (i.e. persons over the age of 16) with learning difficulties in Shetland by aiding them to advance into employment and pursuing any other objects for the benefit of people with learning difficulties which are now or hereafter may be deemed to be charitable in law.
3.1.2 The prevention or relief of poverty among people affected by ill-health, financial hardship or other disadvantaae throughout the world."

Perhaps the word "learning" is missing from their website?
I think it's been put forward previously that the only employment is with COPE itself.

Well never been in the place but as guided had a wee look at the facebook page bit strange really second hand metal futon 50 quid googled found brand new for 75 then fairly substantial unit 99 which looked really quite expensive then onto a couple of little chests of drawers heavily damaged 30 and 40 so seems their pricing is a bit all over the place

Yes, some of the tat stuff is way over priced but, as I said in an earlier post...  make them an offer.  If it doesn't shift after a while, what are they going to do?