Shetland Home Company

Sukibind

"I find it quite alarming that without funding, their own income is £547,039.00, and as previously quoted the wages is £594,088,00. The percentage of wages to turnover doesn't make pleasant reading - for a normal business I think the recommended ratio is between 30% - 38%."

So, that's your problem... 

Spread over 31 "full time equivalent" employees that comes to a mean wage of (roughly) £20,000 per head.

Now, I don't doubt that some are earning much more than this and, that others are earning much less but, compared to a "money pit" such as the EGC (which DOES NOT raise any of it's own  money) it is a shining example of a well run operation. 

Perhaps the people at the top(?) are worth the "megabucks" they are paid.....

(PC MODE OFF)

Having said that, I do believe that, from some perspectives, Cope may be a bit of a "scam" in so much as most of the participants/clients (call them what you will) are, in the main, unemployable and that trying to "train" them to an acceptable level of "competence" that would allow them to gain full time employment is nigh on impossible.

(PC MODE ON)

Are Cope claiming public money under false pretences?

Anyway, what is the alternative and, what would it cost?  Furthermore, will the alternative also be hijacked by people you might have a grudge against?

I see that Director Neil Jaimieson owns the joinery business that seems to do all the joinery work around COPE, with the exception of the Garden Shop. For example all the bed and mattress storage in the Home Front, the wooden stands in the Garden Centre and so on, and on... Nice to keep it all 'in the family'....

• 3 weeks later...

Staff can't be sacked unless there are reasonable grounds to do so, so even if you think he was a lovely man he must have done something seriously wrong............

Wrongly sacking an employee would only give the Manager a whole lot of grief if the union were to get involved.

I'm sure that's the last thing any manager wants or needs. 

** mod edit - comment edited - speculation about an identifiable individual is not appropriate **

Or is this something else that its hoped "volunteers" can be guilted and suckered in to doing for nowt so that they don't have to learn to live within a budget....

• 1 month later...

Yep, looked in this week and, was not impressed..

eg;

A Spotting Scope hat might have been quite a good (average quality) in it's heyday was priced at £60. or, in other words, £30ish to much.

Supposed they might have been influenced by the fact that it was in a nice looking case but, imho, the case was in way better condition than the scope. (yes, I did examine the scope).

not been here for a long while - is there any investigation underway regarding some of the comments I have seen on here ? There is so much public money being granted to COPE under apparently/ allegedly false pretences. OSCR must have been informed and are therefore duty bound to investigate genuine concerns.

There seems to be plenty of wages money coming from someplace around them anyway. Saw their van picking up a few bits and bobs the other day, with, unless I suddenly developed double vision, three guys manning it.

Now if two were "clients", and the other was driver/supervisor, cool, but from the way they were functioning two seemed to be paid staff, and the third *might* have been "client". Apologies to those involved if "appearances were deceptive", but assuming they weren't, the phrase "jobs for the boys" crossed my mind at the time, especially as the only thing I saw being shifted that needed more than one person was a pretty lightweight looking couch.

I got a 19" Dell monitor from there the other day for £10. More like £30-£40 on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Dell-19-Monitor/80053/bn_455328/i.html

Yes, there are bargains to be had but, also some pretty overpriced stuff in there as well.

eg;

An old Dell Vostro computer at an optimistic £80.  Worth £40/£50 at best but, if somebody buys it...???

There seems to be plenty of wages money coming from someplace around them anyway. Saw their van picking up a few bits and bobs the other day, with, unless I suddenly developed double vision, three guys manning it.

Now if two were "clients", and the other was driver/supervisor, cool, but from the way they were functioning two seemed to be paid staff, and the third *might* have been "client". Apologies to those involved if "appearances were deceptive", but assuming they weren't, the phrase "jobs for the boys" crossed my mind at the time, especially as the only thing I saw being shifted that needed more than one person was a pretty lightweight looking couch.

How do you manage to get three guys with your "double vision"? :ponders: