Well done Post Office and local trading standards

Infiltrator

For anyone plagued by regular scam mail this is good news - I was aware the training was planned, good to see the initiative is now underway.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/10342-scam-mail-training

My elderly father has been targeted by some of these companies, and once one starts other similar companies soon follow.

From what I've seen the worst offenders are Belgium or Southern Ireland based, outside of the UK, but seemingly the EU are powerless to stop these crooks.

The Royal Mail are powerless to stop delivering this mail as it arrives in containers into the UK and as its then posted inside the UK the post office must make the delivery.

I'd also recommend the BT 'reject anonymous callers' service, costs £5 a month but has stopped 95% of cold calls. Downside is that anyone trying to call you from inside a private network (e.g. SIC maybe?) might not get through as their number is seen as anonymous.

You can also buy a BT phone with call barring facilities with no monthly cost, but this requires you to maintain a list of numbers that can be accepted.

Double standards.

If they wanted to do anything, they could start off with stopping those letters sent out from the TV Licensing people bullying folk into thinking that they must advise if they don't have a television on the premises when there is no legal requirement to advise them of such.

A little know fact and, quite correct.

You DO NOT have to advise TV Licensing that you DO NOT have a television.

The best way to be immune to bogus calls and mail, is if you don't recognise a caller number, and especially if a number is "withheld" or "no number recorded", ignore it, and if mail is from someone about something you have no prior knowledge of, bin it, regardless of what either one says.

So, the very occasional genuine one gets missed, so what, much better that than being screwed over IMHO.

It is good to see the post office taking a positive role in trying to reduce the mountain of junk mail, which are targeted at the elderly. An elderly friend of mine got about 3-4 mailings a day, all with misleading " you've won a fortune" on the front. I found her one day writing out a cheque for £14.50 to order a "special" bag of mints. The box looked huge in the picture but contained half the weight of a bag that could be bought from the coop for 89p when I raised concern about it, she said that she had to order to get her guaranteed prize.

Luckily she was sensible enough to eventually agree it was a scam and after that she would ask me to look through the piles of mail to see if any were genuine. I'm yet to find anything that was.

As for nuisance phone calls, I put in a set of the new BT phones, which allow you to select the type of calls allowed. I barred all international calls, except friends, who's numbers are stored in the phone. I also put all withheld calls through the " must say who they are first" as I think, why should someone who knows my number hide theirs from me, the system allows the health centre to say it's the doctor, my phone then rings and says doctor and I can accept the call. Those who ain't willing to say who they are just don't get through and I'm not disturbed.

I haven't had any nuisance calls since. Now if I can only find a way of stopping them ringing the mobile. The latest one is" according to our records you were involved in an accident recently" I've had that call about 5 times in the last two weeks

Double standards.

If they wanted to do anything, they could start off with stopping those letters sent out from the TV Licensing people bullying folk into thinking that they must advise if they don't have a television on the premises when there is no legal requirement to advise them of such.

This is very true, when my mother passed away, and the house was empty, I didn't renew the licence, after receiving numerous warnings from them, with various threats of court action, I eventually wrote to them to say she had passed away. But that made no odds, the warnings still arrived. I eventually sent the a copy of the death certificate and a letter threatening legal action against them for harassment, and the letters stopped. No apology or confirmation etc.

It isnt good enough that they are allowed to continue to threaten folk in this manner.