Pickled Herrings . . . . or Mackerel ?

lastpubrunner

Hi All,

On our recent fishing trip with Cycharters (Highly recommended !!!), we caught plenty of fish; considerably more than we could eat. We got a few haddocks, lots of whiting, a couple of 'coal' fish and loads of mackerel.

We had to leave most of the fish, as there were far more than we could eat during the rest of the holiday.

My query is this . . . . . . .

Can any of these fish be 'preserved' in a similar form to pickled herrings ? I very much like pickled (rollmop) herrings and I wondered if the same principle could be applied to other fish with satisfactory results ? Mackerel are similar to herring, in as much they are an oily fish, so couldn't they be used ?

Has anyone tried this out ?

Ta very much !

Guest Anonymous

Mackerel can be marinaded in many ways... My personal favourite is Rum and peppers :lol:

Coalfish (Piltocks) and whitings are best salted and dried. They will keep for years,, well all winter.. thats what kept the old Shetlanders alive.

Haddocks.... Fillet and freeze them.

A 4 cubic foot deep freeze can hold haddock fillets which would cost about five hundred pounds to buy from a fishmonger.

Some people I know prepare the fillets with breadcrumbs before they freeze them., but I prefer to freeze them as clean fillets and then defrost them in lightly salted water. This has a rehydrating effect.....

Damn getting hungry now............. Freezer visit coming up. :lol:

You can't beat potted mackerel Fillet mackerel, roll as you would herring, bake in oven with half balsamic vinegar to brown sugar for about one hour in low oven.

I noticed coming through Edinburgh airport today in Jenners they had sliced smoked farmed halibut. Couldn't buy because of restrictions but would have been interesting to taste.

Mackerel don't freeze well if you freeze them dry, but try rolling them up tightly and covering them in water (in a plastic container) then freezing them in the water. They'll keep for months this way, and taste really fresh when defrosted.