What's the best mobile for coverage on the island

Jim Mcguill

My advice? Figure it out when you get here and you've got your bum on the sofa. 

As someone else alluded to there are blackspots, e.g., Wadbister I could only get EE/T-mobile. Where I am right now seems to get them all - until the mast falls over. 

But truth be told, I'm either on home Wi-Fi or SIC Wi-Fi - when I'm out and about there's frequently no reception - you'd be better off going PAYG and keeping an eye on farmhouses for when you're out and about and possibly need an emergency phone! 

• 3 months later...

New website from OFCOM

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

As far as I can see; and I have been running coverage apps on my android for about 4 years now; the coverage shown on this site is as accurate as you are going to get.  Yes there are  a few places where they say you "might" get a signal; and there is NO signal; but the opposite is also true; There are a few locations where as signal can be had;  where this site says you should not be able to receive one.  They are being quite pessimistic with their coverage reports ( or more accurately Realistic ).

Well worth a look for anyone thinking about getting a mobile or changing carrier.

Edited by thule

A new mobile network is due to lauch at the end of the month. It uses all three networks on one SIM (O2, EE & Vodafone), initially it tries to connect to 3G network then 2G. One SIM, one number and works across three networks.

Not wanting to sound like an advert but initially its PAYG at 10p per minute unless you are on their "home network O2" which is 5p a minute which I thought was quite a good deal at either price.

http://anywheresim.com/#a-brand-new-mobile-network