Election 2015/Shetland Times

Kavi Ugl

unless the UKIP get enough in to make a difference, we're yet again just being asked to shuffle the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Same faces, same lies, different date....

Except our UKIP candidate cannot be arsed to even attend debates in Shetland - what message does that send?

unless the UKIP get enough in to make a difference, we're yet again just being asked to shuffle the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Except our UKIP candidate cannot be arsed to even attend debates in Shetland - what message does that send?

It sends me the message that he does not think he will get elected this time round so has to concentrate on making his living.  A living made far more difficult to make by rules coming from the EU.

Nothing worse than those who traipse around the usual well worn election trail with nothing but the same old meaningless waffle and fake promises?

He's a working fisherman and I've read his explanations as to why he couldn't attend.  Would you be financially able to stop work at one of your busiest times of the year to attend a debate in Orkney?  

He's a working fisherman and I've read his explanations as to why he couldn't attend.  Would you be financially able to stop work at one of your busiest times of the year to attend a debate in Orkney?  

If he wants to go fishing thats fine. If he wants to be taken seriously as a candidate, then he should try making an effort. If he cannot make an effort now, will he be out fishing when he is needed in parliament?

If he wants to go fishing thats fine. If he wants to be taken seriously as a candidate, then he should try making an effort. If he cannot make an effort now, will he be out fishing when he is needed in parliament?

He's funding his own campaign.  From what I've seen on Failbook, he's making a lot bigger effort than many of his opponents who have more financial backing and resources behind them.  He's not the only candidate not to have turned up at an event in Shetland either.  He's stated that he wouldn't work as a fisherman should he be elected.  He's easy to get hold of on the telephone, landline or mobile (when at sea).  He'll answer questions on a wide range of subjects and doesn't avoid the issues unlike many.

So he's making a bigger effort than many.  What message is he sending out?  That money don't grow on trees and you have to go out and earn it!

Here's Johnny! :)

My ears were burning.

If you want to know why I couldn't make it to the Radio Shetland debate, I'd be delighted to explain in full:

I'm a full time fisherman running my own boat with two employees. We have just had a hellish winter of continuous gales since last October.

I fish in and around the Pentland Firth and the really good fishing grounds are only accessible during neap tides and reasonable weather (less than gale 8). We have been unable to get on these spots all winter.

If I was to come to Shetland, I would have had to book my ticket at least a week in advance and while I may have been able to sneak up on the Tuesday and back first thing on Wednesday morning, I had no way of knowing if I had to be at sea on the Tuesday. I might have had gear snapped and fast on the bottom of the Pentland Firth that had to be retrieved, the weather may have been closing in on Wednesday and Thursday and I'd have to get my tens of thousands of pounds worth of gear out of the tide on Tuesday before the tide strengthened and I lost the lot. I might have got stuck in Shetland due to fog and missed possibly the only chance I had to retrieve my gear. The only way I could safely have got to Shetland was to not shoot my gear in the tide on Saturday the 25th. It isn't a case of sticking them out for a day or two and taking them in again before Tuesday. The buoy lines need 100 fathom extensions and my crew would have been delighted sorting all that out and then coiling them all up again for one day's fishing! (We let the gear soak for two days).

They would also have been delighted about missing a fat wage packet and turd hot fishing because I was away waffling about politics. I'm also paying for my campaign entirely out of my own pocket.

So please don't accuse me of not attending because I couldn't be arsed.

It would be a brave man, or perhaps a fool, who wrote off the chance of Danus winning for the SNP.  Candidates for the Conservatives, Labour and UKIP must know that this time they will not win but of course politics is a long game.  Gain a few votes at each election and one year they will be in with a chance.  Or gain experience as a candidate and one year the party will select them for a winnable seat.

My sympathies go to the loser out of Alastair and Danus on Friday and my hope is that all the other candidates get a respectable number of votes although I suspect that a degree of tactical voting may well take place this time.

And just think we have it all again next year with the Scottish Parliament elections.  What fun!.

Edited by JustMe

No, I would not, but then I would not stand for election either if I could not put in the time and effort needed, especially if I was from a party that needs to be 'out there' offering themselves as a really credible alternative.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure Robert is a nice enough guy, I have never met him but I have no reason to think otherwise and my views are not directed at him personally, but in the guise of UKIP candidate. My view is based purely on the fact that he is standing as a candidate, but seemingly is not prepared to give 100% to getting himself elected and so in my view may not be prepared to give 100% for the good of the electors. Just my opinion, and we are all entitled to them.