Election 2015/Shetland Times

Kavi Ugl

^ No I ain't voting for them, but I can live with the cuts. As lets face it, they're going to be the first thing that might go anyway towards starting to curtail the numbers of chair polishing paper shufflers in public service.

Everything else has pretty much been tried, but if they don't get paid, they'll soon leave.

your choice. its a democracy. but face it your voting in the condems. as your fully aware no complaints when everything is cut to death.  

Faced with the choice, what would rather have:

• A nurse carrying out traditional nursing duties;

or

• A nurse asking a patient which ethnic group they belong to and if they didn't answer, the nurse making an educated guess as to their ethnicity.

Are they both nursing duties?  How many forms are completed up and down the UK so that allegedly, health authorities (and other public bodies) can ensure that we have the right staff to allegedly reflect our individual ethnic needs?  How many new posts of diversity officers were created at approximately a cost of say £20k - £28k per annum a throw?  Wouldn't you rather that money be spent elsewhere when we all have the same basic human needs?

Germany doesn't have that legislation whereby you ask people for their ethnicity because it was deemed to be encouraging segregation and for reasons related to the wars; what's up with us doing the same?  Do these forms actually achieve anything and bring about change as to whom is actually employed?  'Oh look, we've a shortage of Jamaican midwives so we must go out and only hire those from Jamaica'.  Nope, it doesn't change things apart from adding to the growing paper mountain.

"your choice. its a democracy."

Sorry Paul but, you seem to be another one who has fallen for the illusion(?) of democracy that is our political system.

1st. Having something approaching a choice for 1 day every 5 years is not a democracy particularly as you only get to vote on a broad swathe of policies(?) set by a bunch of "grey" men in a back room somewhere and not by the "grass roots" electorate.

2nd. Our politicians have no real power to change anything as all the major policies are set/controlled by the EC.  Our guys just tinker around the edges.  Nett result is a pretty "vanilla" set of politicos.  No major "swings" either side of center will be permitted because everything has been stifled by a bunch of un-elected officials in Brussels etc.

3rd.  All major parties seem to be trying extra hard to be "business friendly" which, basically, means that they will allow mega corporations to get away with just about anything (including tax evasion) whilst the ordinary(?) people who voted for them get shafted every which way there is. 

And so on....

whats a traditional nursing duty. if you really believe a nurse spends most of their time checking ethnic origin your mistaken. paper work takes about 45% of their time. why because

1.  government orders. to meet directives for example every time some one campaigns for improved care it will result in extra paperwork.

​2. protection from legal issues all risk assessments must be completed or mr lawyer will be knocking all reports must be accurate and fully detailed. 

its very offensive to the dedicated nurses to imply they are employed because of targets nhs shetland has some wonderful Philippino staff. a typical racist view from a ukipper.

the best thing central governments of all colours is to stay out of the nhs. lets take 1 example from each of the last 2 governments. condems messing with the structure cost about 10 billion was it needed no has it improved anything nope. labours new computer system was and is needed paper is still a common system of communication. another 10 billion wasted. 

​most expensive waste pfi costing trusts 10s if not 100s of millions a year. if projects had been funded by central funds each project would have costed 1/3. we are looking at a spend of 30-50billion for NOWT. by the way same system of funding is being used on the new anderson. 

i could continue but no point ukip will blame our woes on immigration when its really mates in central places sending nice earners to mates in the city. 

whats in the future collapse and a totally fed up work force. why cuts after cuts. the bull about condems funding an increase in spending is a lie under inflation increases equals a cut. wards running on a 1/3 less staff all staff. means your traditional nursing duties are reaching collapse. your skilled older nurses are retiring and if being replaced by newly qualified nurses. all nursing is propped up by staff doing free overtime. reason older staff are quitting in large numbers is pension reform. those within 5 years of retirement can take the older better pension from 55. a simple idea from government often results in unforeseen reactions. simple solution make nhs independent of government allow each staff member a say on its running and you may end up with a decent nhs.

paulb, YOU'RE the one who has decided that nurses spend all their time filling in such forms, NOT I.

Re your comment:

"its very offensive to the dedicated nurses to imply they are employed because of targets nhs shetland has some wonderful Philippino staff. a typical racist view from a ukipper."

Except you've just proven what a load of tosh the thinking behind the policy is and how such legislation doesn't work.  The example was given to me in a London Primary Care Trust when I worked in HR, and was on the very course conducted BY the NHS.  The ideology for asking about people's ethnicity was partially so that the staff employed within the NHS DO reflect the ethnicity of the patients within the PCT/NHS area because apparently, according to the NHS tutors, it MUST be done - I mentioned Jamaican midwives - no one asked the Jamaican women if they wanted a Jamaican midwife; hell, one Jamaican woman spoke up on the course and actually said that she would not want a Jamaican midwife and asked who the hell dreamt this madness up.  Ah yes, that would be the legislation pertaining to race and equality then, something the EU wanted us to do some years ago.

It's not my policy, I didn't introduce it.  You may well have read the standard leaflets which state why such data is given but I've been on the other side, where staff questioned how gathering such data would assist.  Typical wording:-

Collecting Information About Ethnicity Patient Information

answer some of your questions about why we are collecting ethnicity information.

We provide services to a diverse and multi-cultural community and are asking patients their ethnic groups so that we can better meet their cultural, religious and language needs.

We do understand however that there might be occasions when patients will not be able to give us ethnic origin information, for example, patients who due to illness are not able to understand or be understood and when a patient is unconscious. In this case, we would ask a carer or a relative for the information.

We also have to collect ethnic origin data for babies born at the Trust and the parent and / or guardian will be asked to inform us.

And lo and behold, when asked how cultural needs could be met, it was the tutor who gave the midwife example.  The same example was given on an OU course on Equality & Diversity although to be fair, the OU went into more detail than the NHS training did.  And again when working for a local authority.  ALL three lots of training mentioned how staff employed should match the ethnic make-up of the population of the area they were serving.  Many staff were offended too, pointing out that given that the questionnaires don't contain the service users' names, it wouldn't assist with individual needs but was a paper exercise.  It was also pointed out that if somebody didn't complete the form, the person completing it had to make an educated guess ... and the person completing the form might not even have met the service user.  The trainer did point out how this did lead to inaccurate statistics; for example, a white English woman married to somebody with a non-English surname.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/publicationsandstatistics/publications/publicationspolicyandguidance/browsable/dh_5319155

Most public bodies use Language Line interpreters and some have their own in-house, and of course it is important that everyone understands each other, but services can and are provided without the need of such surveys.  Does the same survey questionnaire ask if someone can speak fluent English?  No, it doesn't.

I attended A&E a few weeks ago.  The staff were marvellous.  Did I really care about their ethnic backgrounds regarding my treatment?  No, I did not.  Did I care whether or not they were competent?  Yes.

So, PaulB, thanks for deciding that I'm racist but I'd rather concentrate on individuals' individual needs and not be part of the bigger data collecting machine, the same machine which makes assumptions that because I'm of one background that I must be a Christian and that I must prefer bangers n mash over a decent curry ... but then you've never probably been refused a curry in hospital because "it's not for whites" (their words, NOT mine; obviously totally overlooking the fact that you don't have to be white to have certain religious beliefs and dietary requirements).  The data collecting stereotypes individuals yet blood tests and so forth give indications of genetic make-up and the likelihood of certain medical conditions.

The thing is, this collection of data happens in all public bodies - how much does it cost?  Paper, admin time processing. Is it all really necessary?

Meanwhile, whoever you may choose to vote for tomorrow, just remember all of those calling the shots whoever they are, both elected and unelected have this, or something akin to it, memorised, or at least hanging on their office wall to remind them what their daily duties should cause for everyone else.

They'll tear out your heart, throw it knee deep in a cart
'Cause that's what they do with the scum like me and you
And you feel as if you died, when you're standing on the line
And you wonder all the time why can't you cry?

Because the people in control don't care for you
Dear, you're just a robot with a job to do
And when your use is exhausted, they'll be rid of you
As soon as look at you, go to the back of the queue

His eyes are dull, they stole his soul
And left him to rot in some stinking council hole
Where they keep him doped on beer and hopes
Of television dreams he's living on the screen

See there's something that he used to believe in
Every human being should have his freedom
But his dungeon had a way to show him
He should be more useful, as they broke into his skull

Hazel O'Connor. 1980.

Edited by Ghostrider

and lets remember a vow libs/lab/cons made. another apt song

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above, Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love; The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test, That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best; The love that never falters, the love that pays the price, The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice. I heard my country calling, away across the sea, Across the waste of waters, she calls and calls to me. Her sword is girded at her side, her helmet on her head,[6] And around her feet are lying the dying and the dead; I hear the noise of battle, the thunder of her guns; I haste to thee, my mother, a son among thy sons. And there's another country, I've heard of long ago, Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know; We may not count her armies, we may not see her King; Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering; And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase, And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.   and what a silly comment we are a scottish island off the scottish coast it was settled by scots first try to not forget it.    

Please use your vote wisely, and dont put the united kingdom at risk.

Please use your vote wisely and don't put Shetland, or Scotland, at risk. Westminster, controlled primarily by the English, will continue to leach off the back of those around them. If given the chance again, they will continue to gain more wealth and more control, as we get weaker and poorer.

They won't even have the decency to say "Thank you."

......we are a scottish island off the scottish coast it was settled by scots first try to not forget it.

No, we're an island sandwiched between the North Sea and Atlantic which is arguably more easily accessed from, and almost as close to Norway as Scotland, which has been alternately ignored or taken advantage of by all our neighbours throughout history, and still are in the here and now.

The first known settlers may have arrived from what is now Scotland, but they weren't Scots as Scotland didn't exist at that time. They were of a tribe which centuries later may have merged with others to become Scots, or maybe they were just annhilated.... Event(s) which their few distant relatives stuck on this rock very likely knew nothing of.

The Scots were quite happy to let the Norse take an keep us, or maybe more to the point were incapable of protecting those here from the Norse - and there's no proof that any of the pre-Norse period people survived the Norse occupation.

The Scots made no moves to liberate us until they got greedy and wanted what was here, then by cheatery, double dealing, "convenient" marriage(s) and other dishonourable and highly questionble tactics weaseled their way in, grabbed and kept us, and have been bleeding us dry ever since.

If any Shetlander today has one drop of Pechtish blood in them, why in hell would they have any affinity or affection for their so called "fellow Scot", when all their "fellow Scot" has done for them is leave them to rot for six or seven centuries at the hands of an alien occupier, then treat them as slave labour for another four centuries once they'd gotten back control by using every despicable trick in the book to do so.

If Shetland was threatened by an invasion force today it wouldn't be a desire to protect their fellow "countrymen" that motivated any Scot to rush to our aid, it would be the oil and fish in the sea around us and to protect their own arses. We learned that much in WWII, one look at the game plan soon tells you that had old Mrs. Hitler's boy sent a few of his ruffians across from Norawa, we'd have been the battleground, and as such totally expendable. This rock and us would have been razed and written off as collateral damage with barely a shrug to save the "motherland".

Edited by Ghostrider

Please use your vote wisely, and dont put the united kingdom at risk.

Please use your vote wisely and don't put Shetland, or Scotland, at risk. Westminster, controlled primarily by the English, will continue to leach off the back of those around them. If given the chance again, they will continue to gain more wealth and more control, as we get weaker and poorer.

They won't even have the decency to say "Thank you."

Why trade the devil you know for the devil you don't?

Why would anyone presume putting power in the hands of Scottish politicians would put Shetland at any less risk than leaving it in the hands of English ones? They're all politicians, and at least as bad as each other, the Scots will leach off Shetland in the same way as the Scots politicians alledge the English are leaching off them. Its all about what height in the pile of slester anyone is, once one is at the top, one can only stay there by taking from those lower down everything they produce that could help them climb, while also trampling on them.

Not sure what all this ethinicity of people is relevant as to why you trust or not someone. Trust is not based on ethinicity, genderor, religion or colour of shoes the individual wears.

However for those that are interested in the predominate ethnicity in Shetland is predominately Nordic or Scottish will have their answer when the Viking study project produces its report soon.

Their study in Orkney based upon the volunteers to the project found strongly in favour of Scots.

Complaints are common that SIC are Lerwick biased, Holyrood is Glasgow biased, and Westminister is London biased whilst the reality is that in some issues they certainly are and some they are not and you cannot satisfy everyone all the time.

Unanimity on who the best candidate or party to vote for will not be reached here. So best to vote for who you think best matches your principle or believes rather than opting out of voting.