Creationist Vs Evolutionary Theory

Colin

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few quotes from people who have grown out of fairy stories:

But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ~Mark Twain

If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane. ~Robert G. Ingersoll

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~Stephen Roberts

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? ~Douglas Adams

Christ died for our sins. Dare we make his martyrdom meaningless by not committing them? ~Jules Feiffer

On the sixth day God created man. On the seventh day, man returned the favor. ~Author Unknown

If by any possibility the existence of a power superior to, and independent of, nature shall be demonstrated, there will then be time enough to kneel. Until then, let us stand erect. ~Robert G. Ingersoll, The Gods, 1872

He was an embittered atheist, the sort of atheist who does not so much disbelieve in God as personally dislike Him. ~George Orwell

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~George Bernard Shaw

Instead of being born again, why not just grow up? ~Unknown

A long and wicked life followed by five minutes of perfect grace gets you into Heaven. An equally long life of decent living and good works followed by one outburst of taking the name of the Lord in vain - then have a heart attack at that moment and be damned for eternity. Is that the system? ~Robert A. Heinlein

An Atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An Atheist knows that heaven is something for which we should work now - here on earth - for all men together to enjoy. An Atheist thinks that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue, and enjoy it. An Atheist thinks that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment. Therefore, he seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist knows that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist knows that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man. He wants an ethical way of life. He knows that we cannot rely on a god nor channel action into prayer nor hope for an end to troubles in the hereafter. He knows that we are our brother's keeper and keepers of our lives; that we are responsible persons, that the job is here and the time is now. ~Madalyn Murray (later O'Hair), preamble to Murray v. Curlett, 27 April 1961

One might be asked "How can you prove that a god does not exist?" One can only reply that it is scarcely necessary to disprove what has never been proved. ~David A. Spitz

And on the subject of evolution versus creation, how do the creationists explain MRSA? In the 1950's penicillin killed all known bacteria, now it doesn't. Why?

Are the creationists expecting us to believe that God nipped back to the workshop to create antibiotic-resistant bacteria just to put those cheeky humans back in their places.(And if that is true, then what does that say about AIDS? Did He just knock that up in His spare time for a laugh?) :twisted:

"He who loves his life will loose it. He who hates his life shall gain eternal life". Quote from the bible.

We don't know it all us humans.

:lol: :lol:

So goths are all on their way to heaven then.

Seriously though, is that really in the bible? What a ridiculous thing to say (unless you've really taken it out of context in some way :? ), what does it mean?

Matthew 16:24-26 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. (25) For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. (26) For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life?

I maybe did take it out of context, to be fair, its quite a harsh statement on its own. I think it means something about putting god first.

And in 2006 , god certainly ISNT the easy answer to the questions, its the not an easy stance to take.

If you mean that you look daft for believing in god then yes I agree :P

It might not be an easy stance to take but its the easiest answer going.

i am all for the freedom of people having there own views which is why i intensly dislike the fact people keep trying to "save" me. i am not a religious person, i do not have anything against people who are infact i think it is good they have something to occupy themselves, but why do they feel the need to push it on others?

i have been told-i shant mention names don't worry mods-by certain individuals that my beliefs are wrong and they are right and i should listen to them, yet they refuse to hear my arguements or discuss the matter in more depth because they do not have the answers to my questions. it says in many religions that they are meant to "spread the word" and convert people to their faith, but bullying tactics are never going to work..

(but thats not a reason to bring back burning at the stake)

in this "day and age" should it not be more about providing people with the choice and allowing them to come to their own mind in their own time?

*sorry for my rant people*

Guest Anonymous

Those quotes from arabia terra were brilliant!!

kinda cheered me up in fact!

but i dont class mesel as an athiest, of course i think most of whits written down in most religions is as believable as humpty dumpty!

I do like some of the concepts of buddhism and i like to think what go's around comes around.

fair play to anybody's beliefs , thats the way it should be, but to believe in one thing to deeply you can end up having a blinkered view of whats really going on.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good site McFly

However, I no longer debate creationism vs evolution with religious types, mainly to avoid becoming enraged. I find it difficult to have reasoned discussions with folk who are happy to believe in the version as stated in the bible, which to my mind is a collection of fictional stories based on some historical fact, with very dubious origins, and should be viewed with scepticism

It annoys me how religious types attempt to rebuff, deny, reinterpret or otherwise undermine the vast amount of evidence which points toward evolution, especially since there's no evidence which backs up creationism. Just because we're not 100% sure on the detail of human evolution doesn't mean that creationism is a viable option

I've noticed a pattern whilst debating evolution with 'the faithful'. 'They' normally try to pick holes in evolution, and if I fail to provide a definitive counter argument, they somehow consider this as evidence for creationism. However, they don't feel the need to provide evidence for creationism, they put it down to 'faith' and 'it says so in the bible....'(or my personal favourite: god put dinosaur bones on earth to test us).

Earlier in this thread, faith was mentioned as being a good thing. I couldn't agree less! I consider faith to be a form of ignorance; to blindly and unquestioningly accept information as fact. To accept creationism, you'd need to do a good job of ignoring the huge amount of evidence to the contrary

And the 'intelligent design' theory, which is a poorly thought out combination of creationism and evolution, is no more than 'the faithful' accepting some evolutionary fact and attempting to dress the evidence up to fit with their religious beliefs