Hide your cameras, plod is on to you.

Ghostrider

Your first part is again based on the assumption that whatever he did was related to his possession of a camera, which is by no means a given. 

If I had seen the person, and considered his actions to be "normal", then, why would I bother wasting a couple of hours of my life giving a statement against somebody who has (probably and, until we are told otherwise) done no wrong?

This is entirely what I have been saying. If people are asked to come forward with information on somebody who is believed to have been acting suspiciously, they are only likely to report information if they agreed he had been doing so. If they didn't feel he was acting suspiciously, they are as unlikely as yourself to take the time to report it. 

Whereas if the report says, "police are seeking information on an accused peeping tom" (for example), people would be more likely to report having seen him even if they didn't see him doing anything they considered to be wrong at the time. 

I cannot for the life of me understand the reaction to this report, it is completely standard procedure in trying to gather more information on a police matter, and the prompt for doing so may well have been a report from another member of the public. The level of assumptive anger shown by people who clearly weren't in the vicinity at the time and don't have a clue about the matter concerned is about as perfect a microcosm for this forum as you could get. 

So you have a crystal ball as to which people would reply?  The Police request was not if you agree that he was acting suspiciously, please come forward.  The request for assistance was:-

"The police are keen to speak with anyone who has information on the whereabouts or on the identity of this man."

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo