Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

Politicians of whatever colour or persuasion have been at this game for a long long time. Noone with any wit should be either scandalised or even surprised.

The 50 or so protesting and parading in Lerwick are of course the thwarted SNP who are delighted to exploit this opportunity for their own ends. The worrying part of this is we heading blindly forward into a one party state. We will pay the price at some point for this nationalist fervour.

Looking at Scottish history, we have little or nothing to thank the Scots for, and for a long time we have been able to distance ourselves from their culture.

Charlie Gallagher has been replaced as an SNP representative up here, probably considered a liability. He was replaced by the old Etonian Danus Skene, a wealthy Perthshire landowner, who is still looking for his political destiny.

The margin may be slim now but we have voted to keep the SNP out of these islands, long may this continue God help us in the event of independence.

The issue of currency in that event was never satifactorally laid out in the referendum. If as they claim they wish to keep the pound, they would need to accept fiscal control from Westminster. Without fiscal control the lessons of the EEC would need to be considered. There is no fiscal control with the monetary union, and look at the situation with Greece.

The Scots would of course never accept that fiscal control as that is not what they voted for. So they would forge ahead without, thereby opening the floodgates for big companies and their money to head south.

I belong here, but I have lived In England before, and may be inclined to head back.

The M.P. has done wrong and should resign....

Why, what's so special about Carmichael? Find me one that that can't be said about, and I'll show you an MP whose never made any difference to anything. Its part of the job, taking out one when there are another 649 doing the same at any one given time reeks of ulterior motive/vindictiveness.

Martin Bell entered politics as a moral high ground MP, it didn't make any difference to anything then, and neither will playing that card now. The only policy that might shake that den of theives up is the one Guy Fawkes was following.

^ If you're a member of the LibDems or voted for him, by all means have it out with the guy, that's an issue between you and him, not the rest of us.

I'm not, and I didn't, and as far as I'm concerned lying and wasting public funds (along with countless other undesirable traits) is what its all about - if you don't want to feel like you're supporting that, the only option is to not vote.

Its a rotten corrupt system filled with rotten corrupt people from the bottom to the top, if you engage with it, you're by default perpetrating and supporting it is some way. Don't like it, oust it and put a better one in its place.

Its a rotten corrupt system filled with rotten corrupt people from the bottom to the top, if you engage with it, you're by default perpetrating and supporting it is some way. Don't like it, oust it and put a better one in its place.

The system is indeed far from ideal but there's not much chance of making a change unless we call out MPs when they have clearly breached basic ethics (whether or not we voted for them). To claim that one example of wrongdoing doesn't matter because there's other examples of wrongdoing is classic 'whataboutery'

If you know there's wrongdoing and don't engage with it you are "by default perpetrating and supporting it in some way"

Edited by Davie P

^ If you're a member of the LibDems or voted for him, by all means have it out with the guy, that's an issue between you and him, not the rest of us.

I'm not, and I didn't, and as far as I'm concerned lying and wasting public funds (along with countless other undesirable traits) is what its all about - if you don't want to feel like you're supporting that, the only option is to not vote.

Wrong, totally wrong, Ghost. Not voting is acceptance by default. Not voting is allowing anyone to use and abuse you and your money. Not voting is refusing to stand up and attempt to get what is best for you and those around you. Not voting is not having the sense to at least attempt to put the best in power. None of them are perfect but some are worse than others and we have the right to the best of a bad bunch. Do nothing and Alistair Carmichael remains in place and does nothing for us except tell, or allow to be told, porkies to keep life easy for him and his ilk. Not voting is saying, "Yes, come along and rip me off!!!" Not voting is shooting yourself in the foot and there's no complaints that you can put forward about it, either.

It certainly diverted the attention from the embarrassing behaviour going on in HM Parliament to this, an embarrassing situation for AC indeed, but as for the information within the leaked memo, wasn't that actually deemed to be factual, so what really has gone on in that inquiry. 

When it comes to asking an MP to stand down, resign, fall on their sword, there are many that could and would be littering the country, some that are asking for a "political colleague" should look within themselves before throwing stones.