Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

"I'd suggest we take both Skene and Carmihael and dump them on the Fair Isle, if Carmichael reaches Kirkwall by swimming and/or walking first, he wins, if Skene reaches Lerwick first by swimming and/or walking first he wins"

At least then, Mr Carmichael couldn't alter the vote in his favour - or could he, he's done it before!!!

Why are you attributing the emboldened quote to me when I was actually quoting someone (GR) else?  Is this another SNP "smear" coming up?? :ponders:

My apologies, Colin. I didn't read your post correctly.

Edited by George.

this is hilarious. seeing all the right wingers/ukip drones who appear to spend every waking minute on here denouncing the political establishment, insisting the "whole system is all corrupt" and "needs shaken up" falling over themselves to defend a lying politician from that same established political class. as soon as it looks like things could actually get shaken up and the MP who's been sitting in the most comfortable safe seat in the country for 14 years, standing for the same party which has won for 50 years before that gets caught out and his position looks tenuous you all suddenly get cold feet. suddenly it doesn't matter that it's all corrupt because the party that nearly ousted him (and almost certainly would have done had this information come to light before the election) isn't to your liking. you can be pretty sure if it was a labour or snp MP caught out in similar circumstances you'd be calling for resignations. for all your generic puff and bluster about corruption you clearly don't have any real desire to hold politicians to account unless it benefits your own political stance. it's really quite sad and shows you up for the small 'c' conservatives you really are (arguably all conservatives are small c's but there you go).

you'd rather maintain a status quo you claim to have no time for (and obviously keep whining about it on here indefinitely), it's almost as if you just prefer venting. no wonder shetlink has been reduced to a tired, petty, boring parochial bicker fest.

oh, and this quote from 2010 probably shouldn't go unnoticed:

Alistair Carmichael MP: The right to freedom of speech is a fundamental one but it does bring a responsibility with it to tell the truth. The right to smear an opponent is not one we should be defending.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2010/11/12/letter-from-westminster-49

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae26/distortio/leaky%20carmichael.jpg

There is an appeal to raise legal funds to remove Mr. Carmichael from office.

If you wish to donate:

This is the link:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-people-versus-carmichael#/story

and please share this appeal as widely as possible.[/size]

God you are desperate.

If folk have spare cash to throw away, can I suggest that they give it to some worthwhile cause, the elderly, young, disabled or even the cat and dog home.

This really is getting ridiculous. I wonder who's behind this witch hunt ?

To put it simply, he lied, and while some say "they all do" well maybe thats true but if your vote was based on a on a false prospectus then that's unfair to all voters. What if another politition shot out the same actions, who would be complaining then? Lets be FAIR and vote again on a level playing field. If he was honest he would resign and put it to the people, so why isn't he? 

for all your generic puff and bluster about corruption you clearly don't have any real desire to hold politicians to account unless it benefits your own political stance.

....and of course, those baying for his head on a spike and guts for garters couldn't possibly be motivated by potential political profit. Yeah, right!

Humans lie, they're very good at it, humans who become politicians are exceedingly good at it, arguably their careers and that whole profession relies on lying to exist and thrive. Throwing out one miniscule cog in the machine and replacing it with one identical in every way unless for being painted a slightly different colour changes nothing, especially when the country is run and ruled by the civil service and the media. Politicians are as much pawns in the game as the people.

To put it simply, he lied, and while some say "they all do" well maybe thats true but if your vote was based on a on a false prospectus then that's unfair to all voters. What if another politician shot out the same actions, who would be complaining then? Lets be FAIR and vote again on a level playing field. If he was honest he would resign and put it to the people, so why isn't he? 

My vote went to Alastair as someone I thought would be a good person  to represent Orkney and Shetland regardless of party.  Actually it was close as I thought Danus would also be good.  But we have a result and I do think we should accept Alastair at least for the moment. 

Some of them may even be motivated by a sense of morality and a desire for justice. Imagine that.

Find me one with power or responsibility in public office or service that's sole, or even main motivation is that, and you'll have found a Dodo.

Then you can ask them how they resolve their motivation against being part of a broken self-serving abusive system over which they can make no change to.

Edited by Ghostrider

for all your generic puff and bluster about corruption you clearly don't have any real desire to hold politicians to account unless it benefits your own political stance.

....and of course, those baying for his head on a spike and guts for garters couldn't possibly be motivated by potential political profit. Yeah, right!

Humans lie, they're very good at it, humans who become politicians are exceedingly good at it, arguably their careers and that whole profession relies on lying to exist and thrive. Throwing out one miniscule cog in the machine and replacing it with one identical in every way unless for being painted a slightly different colour changes nothing, especially when the country is run and ruled by the civil service and the media. Politicians are as much pawns in the game as the people.

so, your answer to that is just more generic cynicism.

they all lie so why bother to try and change it. just keep complaining all the time that all politicians are untrustworthy lying scum. and then support the parties the all-powerful media who control everything are promoting. [slow hand clap]

.......just keep complaining all the time that all politicians are untrustworthy lying scum. and then support the parties the all-powerful media who control everything are promoting. [slow hand clap]

I wouldn't know who the brain mangling media moguls are rooting for, I don't read or watch any of their crap, the Beano is aimed at a higher IQ than they churn out.

Last I had the misfortune to trip over any of it by accident, they didn't seem all that chuffed about UKIP, so you'd best explain how my vote for them constitutes "support" for the "parties they're promoting".