Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

Give Carmichael his due his neck is even more brass like in construction than I thought, looks like he'll try and tough it out. Well unless the folk heading to Edinburgh with their wee file are successful.

Can't help but think if the LibDems had a dozen other MPs in Scotland then nobody on either side would be that bothered about this.

I didn't say he should get away with it. I don't know the whole answer to this, but it doesn't necessarily mean he should just resign either. The lie needs to be looked at with a sensible approach, and not just as a witch hunt

to make another party to feel better about themselves for now.

I don't think that he should get away with it, either, but the way that things are going it looks like he might. I do think that a by-election would be correct, it would give the people that he (supposedly) represents the chance to keep him in place, or get rid of him. It should be our choice.

I bet that if this had happened five years ago he would have gone immediately for a by-election. But, of course, then he had a massive winning vote, approx 10k more votes than anybody else. That has changed, this time around he had 817 more than the SNP. He doesn't need to have irritated too many folk for him to lose his job but we haven't yet been given the choice. He'll do his best to stay in place but it's not up to him, it's up to the people that voted him in.

His voters will, no doubt, keep trying to sweep it all under the carpet but that just lets an admitted liar stay in place. That is wrong.

It was interesting to see Salmond the slug trying to slime his way out of questions regarding his proven record a a liar on Andrew Neil's " This Week" last night

http://news.stv.tv/politics/196346-government-took-no-specific-legal-advice-on-scotland-joining-eu/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05x80zm/this-week-28052015

He fairly came with the bull turd last night but he was  clearly squirming .

On another note , Douglas Carswell is apparently a dab hand at making jam and is also known to wander around westminster with some very fine root vegetables , which were grown by his own hand.

He is indeed a top bloke

Hi,

You could say if the boot was on the other foot the SNP would be defending their guy.

If the boot was on the other foot then, I believe, the SNP would be dealing with the problem correctly - unlike the LibDems who are sweeping it under the carpet in the vain hope that it will go away and Carmichaels position will be retained. Looks like none of the LibDems around here are prepared to play the game in the same way that they would demand everybody else did.

I believe, the SNP would be dealing with the problem correctly

Oh, dear.....

....and just why should anyone suspect, let alone believe that one mob of politicians would behave any differently to another mob of politicians, when they all come from the same place and feed from the same trough.

Bluntly, just what have the SNP ever done for anyone to have elevated them to such a higher level of conduct and trust. The headlines drifting back from Westminster lately would seem to suggest the polar opposite, not that I'm really buying it, as its a Red Top, but still, no smoke without fire, and all that.

Edited by Ghostrider

I believe, the SNP would be dealing with the problem correctly

Oh, dear.....

....and just why should anyone suspect, let alone believe that one mob of politicians would behave any differently to another mob of politicians, when they all come from the same place and feed from the same trough.

Bluntly, just what have the SNP ever done for anyone to have elevated them to such a higher level of conduct and trust. The headlines drifting back from Westminster lately would seem to suggest the polar opposite, not that I'm really buying it, as its a Red Top, but still, no smoke without fire, and all that.

Fortunately, the SNP haven't been caught out, unlike the LibDems. It was their man, Malcolm Bruce, that said they all told lies. Of course, that could be a lie.

Of course the simple answer is to have the system where the constituents can have their MP "recalled" if a sufficient percentage demand it.  Surely it is only fair that the electorate can claim an MP is not living up to expectations.

That would be a huge, massive improvement on the present system which lets them away with blue murder, Carmichael being a perfect example.

Fortunately, the SNP haven't been caught out, unlike the LibDems. It was their man, Malcolm Bruce, that said they all told lies. Of course, that could be a lie.

Okay, so you're saying its okay to lie if you get away with it, but not okay to lie if you don't.

Frankly I'd much rather just get rid of all the liars regardless of their colours and make it a level playing field, and Bruce is right, they do all tell lies, just as all humans tell lies, none of us are innocent of that, its a human failing, end of.

You are never going to rid humans and by association politics of lies, so the best we can hope for is to try and curtail the level of lying that occurs. In the big picture this "he said, he thought he heard her saying, and I let his note fall in to the hands of the media without properly checking it", is pretty far down the seriousness ladder, and I do not for one minute believe any other politician would when faced with similar would act to any higher a standard.

Okay, so you're saying its okay to lie if you get away with it, but not okay to lie if you don't.

Frankly I'd much rather just get rid of all the liars regardless of their colours and make it a level playing field, and Bruce is right, they do all tell lies, just as all humans tell lies, none of us are innocent of that, its a human failing, end of.

You are never going to rid humans and by association politics of lies, so the best we can hope for is to try and curtail the level of lying that occurs. In the big picture this "he said, he thought he heard her saying, and I let his note fall in to the hands of the media without properly checking it", is pretty far down the seriousness ladder, and I do not for one minute believe any other politician would when faced with similar would act to any higher a standard.

No, it is not alright to lie "if you get away with it" and yes, I'd like to get rid of all the liars, too. Carmichael apologised for it, but only to keep himself in a job, and Bruce admitted to being just like Carmichael. What good that did either of them I don't know, other than to show that they are similar in their dishonesty.

You're right, though. We will never get rid of all the liars, they're found everywhere and they wear every colour of hat available. The liars have to be dealt with, surely. If not, then it all just grinds down further and further until it's total anarchy.

So Carmichael, whether he wants to or not, should be forced to resign. This will cause a by-election and he should be free to put himself forward to be elected again. If this were to happen, it would be interesting to see how keen the Lib Dems would be in continuing to back him. I bet they would dump him immediately and put a new face forward, but considering how many votes Danus Skene got, there's not much chance for them and that's the only reason they have continued to appear to back Carmichael.

In all honesty, I don't think that Carmichael has many friends now, just a lot of old people that don't like changes in what they're used to suffering from.

@ Just Me

For recall of MP's there is a party who have it as a key part of policy:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Independence_Party

"Democracy and the constitution

UKIP would overcome what it claims to be the "unfairness" of MPs from devolved nations voting on English-only issues.

UKIP supports the recall of MPs, if 20% of the electorate in a constituency sign a recall petition within eight weeks.

A Citizens' Initiative would be introduced to allow the public to initiate national referenda on issues of major public interest.[83]"

Edited by Gorgonzola Butt-cheese