Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

to get back on topic for a moment...

Last week a contrite Mr Carmichael apologised for his actions, but insisted the best way for him to make amends would be to serve in the job he was elected to do. He stood by his 14 year record as a constituency MP

would that cut it in any other sphere?

"yeah, sorry, i totally cheated at that 100m dash, but to make amends i'll just take that gold medal, cheers."

Alistair Carmichael is a lawyer as well, we are probably doing him a favour letting him off, if he returned to his day job I couldn't see him win many cases in the courtroom by advising his clients to plead guilty and say sorry.

just found this:

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/12931405.Labour_candidate_forced_to_issue_retraction_over__false__letter_about_Liberal_Democrat_opponent/

a labour candidate accused of smearing the lib dem candidate and the lib dems threatened legal action!  :-D  :-D  :-D

What a wonderful find, a perfect example of the hypocrisy we here from the party who object to everybody else's wrongdoing while happily accepting their own.Apart from the quote in the link that threatens legal action against The Labour party I liked this one...“My team and I are very upset with the lies and the desperate smears, which are being sent out by the local Labour campaign."

If all the MP's/ MSP's had to resign for telling a lie or bending the truth to suit their own ends Holyrood and Westminster would have an awful lot of empty seats

Sound very like Malcolm Bruce. He didn't manage to justify being an out and out liar, he just managed to tell the world that both himself and Carmichael are liars. Are you one as well?

yep, shame about ck, he was one of the better ones. shame the last he'd have seen was clegg flushing the last of his legacy down the political plughole.

so inquiry underway...

The three clauses under which Carmichael is to be investigated state:

• 10. Members shall base their conduct on a consideration of the public interest, avoid conflict between personal interest and the public interest and resolve any conflict between the two, at once, and in favour of the public interest.
  • 14. Information which Members receive in confidence in the course of their parliamentary duties should be used only in connection with those duties. Such information must never be used for the purpose of financial gain.
  • 16. Members shall never undertake any action which would cause significant damage to the reputation and integrity of the House of Commons as a whole, or of its Members generally.

he could reasonably be pulled up on any of those, guess we'll just have to wait and see the outcome. how long do these things take?

looking likely the legal action will be happening too, less than £7k short now.

if ck was still leader of libdems they may have been the second party. just compare cleggy to ck. 

Alistair really must quite he will be suspended from parliament. may lose or may not the court case still will be damaged beyond repair.  

It's a pity that those baying for carmichaels blood weren't so quick to respond to Alex salmons lies about the EU. One thing I can't stand is double standards.

It's just a matter if time until the snp muck it up, then it will be interesting to see how many on this thread go suddenly quiet. Mark my words. " it will happen".

it would have been up to his voters to challanghim. if your so upset start a campaign. else it sounds like a bitter unionist. hopefully this may sink into mps minds do something dishonest expect to pay. no matter who. imagine blair would have been done over iraq. 

It's a pity that those baying for carmichaels blood weren't so quick to respond to Alex salmons lies about the EU. One thing I can't stand is double standards.

Holding an MP to account is a bit different to "baying for his blood"

As for Alex Salmond and the "lies about the EU" every newspaper and news channel in the country talked about little else for weeks.

I can't think of a politician in the UK who has had more media scrutiny than Alex Salmond.

The two big differences between the two cases are,

He was cleared by an independent inquiry of breaking ministerial code.

He was voted in as the MP for Gordon after the allegations and inquiry.

Holding an MP to account is a bit different to "baying for his blood"

As for Alex Salmond and the "lies about the EU" every newspaper and news channel in the country talked about little else for weeks.

I can't think of a politician in the UK who has had more media scrutiny than Alex Salmond.

The two big differences between the two cases are,

He was cleared by an independent inquiry of breaking ministerial code.

He was voted in as the MP for Gordon after the allegations and inquiry.

Yes, in other words he lied and got off scot free.

It's just a matter if time until the snp muck it up, then it will be interesting to see how many on this thread go suddenly quiet. Mark my words. " it will happen".

it would have been up to his voters to challanghim. if your so upset start a campaign. else it sounds like a bitter unionist. hopefully this may sink into mps minds do something dishonest expect to pay. no matter who. imagine blair would have been done over iraq. 

ha ha bitter unionist ! Now you jump to conclusions. Just because I feel the "campaigning" is over the top and double standards are being displayed hardly sets me out as a "bitter unionist"

as for starting a campaign, I would far rather devote my spare time to helping those who need it.