Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

It's a pity that those baying for carmichaels blood weren't so quick to respond to Alex salmons lies about the EU. One thing I can't stand is double standards.

Holding an MP to account is a bit different to "baying for his blood"

As for Alex Salmond and the "lies about the EU" every newspaper and news channel in the country talked about little else for weeks.

I can't think of a politician in the UK who has had more media scrutiny than Alex Salmond.

The two big differences between the two cases are,

He was cleared by an independent inquiry of breaking ministerial code.

He was voted in as the MP for Gordon after the allegations and inquiry.

Yes, in other words he lied and got off scot free.
Unless you were living in a cave for the 2 years running up to the referendum it would have been almost impossible not to notice the largest smear campaign against a politician in UK political history.

I could sit here and post link after link after link of newspaper smears aimed at Alex Salmond.

Don't believe me?

Google "Salmond accused" and you will find hundreds upon hundreds of articles some of them absolutely ridiculous, some offensive most a complete load of cobblers.

Is this what you mean by getting away "scot free"

He was CLEARED of breaking ministerial code regarding EU advice.

The good people of Gordon after reading and watching Alex Salmond get the full force of media and government smears still voted for him in thier droves to be their MP.

Kind of puts the campaign by a few of Alistair Carmichaels constituents into perspective does it not?

It's a pity that those baying for carmichaels blood weren't so quick to respond to Alex salmons lies about the EU. One thing I can't stand is double standards.

Holding an MP to account is a bit different to "baying for his blood"

As for Alex Salmond and the "lies about the EU" every newspaper and news channel in the country talked about little else for weeks.

I can't think of a politician in the UK who has had more media scrutiny than Alex Salmond.

The two big differences between the two cases are,

He was cleared by an independent inquiry of breaking ministerial code.

He was voted in as the MP for Gordon after the allegations and inquiry.

Yes, in other words he lied and got off scot free.
Unless you were living in a cave for the 2 years running up to the referendum it would have been almost impossible not to notice the largest smear campaign against a politician in UK political history.

I could sit here and post link after link after link of newspaper smears aimed at Alex Salmond.

Don't believe me?

Google "Salmond accused" and you will find hundreds upon hundreds of articles some of them absolutely ridiculous, some offensive most a complete load of cobblers.

Is this what you mean by getting away "scot free"

He was CLEARED of breaking ministerial code regarding EU advice.

The good people of Gordon after reading and watching Alex Salmond get the full force of media and government smears still voted for him in thier droves to be their MP.

Kind of puts the campaign by a few of Alistair Carmichaels constituents into perspective does it not?

That cuts both ways, Capeesh, there was plenty of arrogant sneering and ridiculous accusations from the SNP camp as well during the run-up to the Indy ref. Absolutely no-one came out of it looking good IMO.

Paulb's accusation that anyone who questions or disagrees with the SNP's line is a "bitter unionist", is a small-scale example of this. Agree with us or you shall be arrogantly dismissed.

Anyway, I'm cynical (and hypocritical) enough to allow our LibDem chum to continue in Office, simply because the last thing I want is our local MP's strings being pulled by a Scottish party whose only interests in Shetland are getting as much revenue in as possible from Shetland and claiming virtually the last non-SNP scalp.

The laughable thing is, our relationship with Holyrood is akin to the relationship between Westminster and Scotland, neither seat of political power really gives a toss about their people in the far north of their political realm - both political houses simply want them as compliant vassals and a cash cow. Look at how the SNP are keen to drop a few quid from seabed revenue without actually giving control of the seabed to Shetland. Is that the move of a Government who wants to genuinely put power and more autonomy in the hands of Shetland? Methinks not.......

So, having an experienced politician at the helm who has years of experience in Isles politics and representation completely over-rides any jiggery pokery involved with a memo that, although denied by Sturgeon, has the sentiments of the SNP prior to the election nailed absolutely bang on. We don't need another one-party state muppet at the Shetland helm, we need someone whose skilled and independent of the SNP's political machine. AC fits the bill.

All this righteous indignation, political squeaking and ersatz 'voice of the people' guff is just absolutely laughable.

Edited by Scorrie

by election would resolve this dispute. if reelected then fine we deserve him. if not proves morals are still important. but i know it wont happen must keep his nice earner safe. cant risk his pension. if he crawls on until end of term he will receive 36k in pension a year. his expenses make interesting reading.

It's more an issue of needs must to me, Capeesh.

Sometimes, letting something 'unpleasant' lie quiet for long term benefit is the best course of action. I'm no fan of politicians that lie and back-pedal at all. But I'm pragmatic enough to see when you have to make deals that you may find distasteful.

For example: How many 'terrorists' turned politicians do we deal with around the globe and at home? Lots. And yet we're prepared to sell what little remaining home voice we have down the river over a dodgy memo?

I'm damned sure AC has learned a lot from this shenanagens, let's see what he does with it. Step up to the mark or definitely lose to the SNP at the next election. His choice.

I didn't know that he's making this his last term, Paulb, interesting.

My view still stands as far as I'm concerned, if he's doesn't do a good job, we lose our voice as the SNP will steamroller his replacement candidate.

Who is "we", Scorrie? The continually shrinking number of Lib Dem voters, or the entire population of the islands?

Edited by George.

My view still stands as far as I'm concerned, if he's doesn't do a good job, we lose our voice as the SNP will steamroller his replacement candidate.

Who is "we", Scorrie? The continually shrinking number of Lib Dem voters, or the entire population of the islands?

The population of Shetland loses a voice that isn't having it's strings pulled by a centralist Scots government, George.

I do genuinely believe that the SNP are the best party to run Scotland. But I want a Shetland controlled by the Central Belt political elite about as much as I want a Scotland controlled by Westminsters' political elite....... 

I suspect that it is the all inclusive collective "we" that scorrie refers to not the royal/snp(?) "we" as in "we the people of shetland".

:thmbsup

See post above, Colin. believe that we will lose our voice, as a SNP representative for Shetland will toe the SN party line - regardless of what is right for Shetland.

My opinion only. I do not profess to speak, or represent 'the people of Shetland' - unlike some eejits I could mention.

The population of Shetland loses a voice that isn't having it's strings pulled by a centralist Scots government, George.

I do genuinely believe that the SNP are the best party to run Scotland. But I want a Shetland controlled by the Central Belt political elite about as much as I want a Scotland controlled by Westminsters' political elite....... 

Would you prefer to see Shetland going for independence? Personally, I would.