Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not sure that full Independence is economically workable for Shetland, George. If it was economically viable - then, yes, i'd be tempted to go down that route given the choice.

I'd certainly like to see a hell of a lot more autonomy for Shetland outwith full independence, something along the lines of the relationship the Faroese have with Denmark could be a good start?

Seems to me that stopping the protests pending the outcome of the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner's enquiry into the facts of the case as well as waiting for the outcome of the legal challenge to the election result is a wise decision.  And if both those rule in AC's favour than that really ought to be the end of the matter.

At least the Inquiry might be able to get some facts that are not for public consumption. ;-)  ;-) .....and Its only a matter of time until another politician is caught out, so the result of this inquiry might have far reaching consequences.  

If the Lib Dems are not going to be able to stand up for us perhaps its time the Isles' had an Independent candidate.

Politics in Scotland is in danger of creating divided communities, something they have always had problems with  in the central belt. I think we need good rural representation to counter balance the urbanists. The tories at least had some idea :shock:  about the countryside.

Be interesting if Scotland actually voted no in the EU referendum. wouldn't it!

My opinion only. I do not profess to speak, or represent 'the people of Shetland' - unlike some eejits I could mention.

I've noticed an interesting and hilariously ironic continuity between some people who bemoan the title of this particular protest group and some people who support/belong to Sustainable Shetland.

According to a letter in Shetnews. there appears to be thirty thousand "We the people" people" . :oops:

OK, to continue an earlier post..

"We the misplaced decimal point"?

"We the I was drunk when I wrote that"?

"We the I don't have enough fingers"?

"We the anybody got a calculator"?

"We the Ooops, I voted more than once"?

"We the can this figure really be verified"?

"We the entire voting population (-1) of Orkney and Shetland"?

In another Shetnews article Tavish Scott is going on about police accountability being a joke.

MPs accountability on the other hand is all hunky dory, they should be able to get away with anything.

A quote...

“This government has stood up and defended Stephen House and Police Scotland, while misleading parliament about the savings they have made.”

Misleading the electorate is fine though but only if you're a fellow Lib Dem.

!!HYPOCRITE ALERT!!

Edited by Capeesh

"!!HYPOCRITE ALERT!!"

Quite possibly but, at least Tavish is trying to bring our attention to something that is going to affect everyone in Scotland, not just a few disgruntled SNP "die hards". 

Maybe he is trying to help AC with a little bit of "deflection" and, that maybe our elected reps are quite happy with it, after all, it was never mentioned during the election...  Who knows..?

Anyway, I started another thread on it as I wouldn't want to see this one get "side tracked"

I see in the recent Shetnews Report HERE there's a copy of the petition that has been lodged with the Court of Sessions in an attempt to hold our MP to account for his dishonesty in the run up to the election.

A transcript of the channel 4 interview where he's telling fibs is in it (the fibs that were revealed by the expensive government inquiry.)

Are you accusing all Liberal Democrats of being liars?

Carmichael is a liar and has been forced to admit it. Look how many people around here were willing to ignore it, let him off with it and just forget what had been done by their M.P. That doesn't speak too well of the people that were only too happy to, and probably still do, live in denial.

That doesn't speak too well of the people that were only too happy to, and probably still do, live in denial.

Nothing to do with denial, and everything to do with reality and practicality. These so called "lies" rank no higher than those peddled daily by Ad copywriters, lawyers, salespeople, estate agents and just about everybody at any and all levels of public service to name only but a few.

If some folk want to hold their MP to higher standards than his peers and virtually all of the popultion, and 99% of humans 99% of folk come in to contact with every day, that's their perogative. However in doing so they needn't be suprised that many others see them as being vindictive, some being hypocritical, and with ulterior motives.

Edited by Ghostrider

Are you accusing all Liberal Democrats of being liars?

Nope, as far as I'm aware the only person to smear and lie to win his seat is Alistair Carmichael, he admitted it himself, albeit a little belatedly, i.e. after he'd been caught.

What I find difficult to comprehend is the sheer brass neck of him staying on and his fellow Lib Dems thinking that was ok.

@Ghost rider

"vindictive and hypocritical or having ulterior motives," that explains Alistair Carmichaels dirty trick smear and cover up perfectly.

Strange how some people want to sweep it all under the carpet and hope it all blows over.

@Ghost rider

"vindictive and hypocritical or having ulterior motives," that explains Alistair Carmichaels dirty trick smear and cover up perfectly.

Of course it was vindictive, it was an election campaign, aka. Kill your opponents by any means possible being the name of the game.

Hypocritical, I think not. Given that the Libs have gotten in to bed with both Labour and Tory in the past, whichever one anybody accused them of preferring to be in government next, would have been no scandal.

Of course, there were ulterior motives, see two paragraphs up.

What gets me, is that one person is suddenly being expected to have behaved in a far more saintly manner than could be expected of any of his equals in the same circumstances, and if "vindictive and hypocritical or having ulterior motives" was his MO and that was so far off the moral high ground then, that his opponents agruably operating now with similar levels of "vindictive and hypocritical or having ulterior motives, are somehow on the moral high ground.

That, and the fact that anyone was daft enough to believe one word anyone involved in an election campaign, regardless of their political persuasion, said while it was ongoing.

Edited by Ghostrider