Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

funny you don't hear the same complaints about the frog king farage not mentioning in his election campaign about his past as a banker/stockbroker... the info is out there, but you know, you'd think he'd mention that for the benefit of those who don't have the internet eh? similarly carmichael, shouldn't he have mentioned his support for the bedroom tax and other tory policies in his leaflets? how do these "lies by omission" differ from skene not mentioning a school or religious leanings?

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/10978-did-cameron-hang-carmichael-out-to-dry

it's getting interesting. i wonder who else knew about this before it was leaked. after all the contents of the memo leak mainly seemed to benefit tories...

Could be because Farage wasn't trying to become an mp for Shetland.. ,! Edited by Windwalker

I notice that the more people (SNPS) squeal about this the more support Alistair Carmichael gets. keep em coming ;-)

Yawn...

Yes - 62 votes [60.19%]
No - 41 votes [39.81%]

At present, of course. Things may well change, everybody that can vote might take a big, strong stupidity tablet and back him up in the hope that he carries on with his fraudulence and lies.
Edited by George.

@ Capeesh - Readily available to whom?  Those without the internet?

Wasn't this the first time Skene stood for Shetland & Orkney?  For a fair comparison, some might put forward the argument that you'd need to know what both candidates put out in their election campaign leaflets when they stood for the first time as candidates for this constituency (not just the last election); after all, Carmichael was previously known to many given he was the existing MP whereas Skene wasn't (and some might argue, still isn't) known to many.

So, I'm assuming Alastair publicised his schooling, religious beliefs etc in his first ever election literature?  Can you confirm that he did?  Otherwise, he too (by your logic) will be a LIAR BY OMISSION, as well as being an actual liar.

@ Capeesh - Readily available to whom?  Those without the internet?

Wasn't this the first time Skene stood for Shetland & Orkney?  For a fair comparison, some might put forward the argument that you'd need to know what both candidates put out in their election campaign leaflets when they stood for the first time as candidates for this constituency (not just the last election); after all, Carmichael was previously known to many given he was the existing MP whereas Skene wasn't (and some might argue, still isn't) known to many.

So, I'm assuming Alastair publicised his schooling, religious beliefs etc in his first ever election literature?  Can you confirm that he did?  Otherwise, he too (by your logic) will be a LIAR BY OMISSION, as well as being an actual liar.

I'll ask AC if he's got copies of his first ever election literature. ;-)

I notice that the more people (SNPS) squeal about this the more support Alistair Carmichael gets. keep em coming ;-)

Yawn...

Yes - 62 votes [60.19%]

No - 41 votes [39.81%]

At present, of course. Things may well change, everybody that can vote might take a big, strong stupidity tablet and back him up in the hope that he carries on with his fraudulence and lies.

Nope, no tablets left, the SNP lot have used them all up :-)

It has been decided today that the hearing regarding whether or not Carbuncle the Elder should be allowed to get away with his lies and fraudulence should take place at the Court of Session in Edinburgh on 7th and 8th September. See the potentially good news HERE  :thmbsup 

Edited by George.

One thing that I never see mentioned with regards to food banks is the fact that much of the problem is caused by drink,drugs,dishonesty lazyness ect rendering many unemployable.

We cannot blame any political party for that.

My sympathy is with the genuine who cannot work and would if they could ,or those who have lost jobs due to redundancy ect.,and cannot find another job.

Very difficult to catagorise,that is where the problem lies as everyone has to be treated equally,and there is simply not enough money to keep it all going the way it is or we end up like Greece

Guess we cannot all be rich,but a little common sense when spending what little we have helps. 

wow i would want you on my jury if i was him no matter what you would find him innocent. 

As far as I understand it, the law refers to "candidate" and NOT the leader of another party; there's a difference.  Nicola Sturgeon did not stand to be an MP at Westminster and was not, therefore, a candidate.  If you want to participate in trial by media aka a kangaroo court, so be it; I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the new Lib Dem leader Tim Farron has given Alistair Carmichael his full backing, he doesn't seem to have any issue with his MP's using dirty tricks in an election campaign.

Attempting to smear opponents and lying to the electorate is all great as long as the Lib Dems cling on to their seats as a result.

Wrongdoing is now ok for the Lib Dems as long as they give a "fulsome apology" afterwards.

In a fine example of hypocrisy, here's a quote from Tim Farron before the Frenchgate scandal when the Lib Dems were ironically pursuing an act of recall for MPs who are guilty of wrongdoing...

"It seems very wrong to me that an MP can be in the Parliament for five years and not be held to account for wrongdoing within that period.

There’s no obvious excuse or good reason for David Cameron to block that Bill but that is what he has done.

It looks as though MPs are running scared of their electorate. We should never be scared of our electorate. We should always believe that we have our positions as a temporary offering, a position that we’re given by voters for a period of time to serve them, and that it’s something that they can take away. They can obviously take it away at an election, but there should also be a process as some other countries have where an MP can be recalled and forced to stand before them in a by-election. It looks like MPs are trying to protect themselves from them and that’s not on."

Little wonder a once principled party now seem to be in terminal decline.